Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - dirty bum syndrome

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dirty bum syndrome
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:03 pm 

Hi all,
had chooks for awhile now but by no means am i knowledgeable on most things, my chooks are all good with the exception of one of them, she has what i call a ''dirty bum'' that is her poo is sticking around her feathers and becoming hard and crusty,also her feathers are going dry and dying off around her bum.
i have been brushing the poo off and trimming her feathers around her bum in the hope that good feathers would again grow , this is not happening.Out of my four girls i get three eggs a day, i dont think this bird is laying though i am not sure it is this one but to be honest that doesnt bother me 3 a day i am happy with.She is other than this ,in good health and shows no sign of being sickly.
Does anyone know of this problem and hopefully how to fix it ? also apart from isolation is there any way you can tell if a bird is not laying ? all of this helps in my knowledge of my girls who i take a great deal of pleasure in ,believe me they are spoilt. I welcome any advice from others

Post subject: Re: dirty bum syndrome
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:13 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Usually the first thing to try would be worming her (and the other chooks). Use a wormer that provides broad coverage of worm types, like Wormout tablets. Worm them again 1 week to 10 days after the first dose. The dose for chooks is 1 tablet per 2 kg of chook.

Isolating this bird is the best way to find out of she's the non-layer. The other option is to spray food dye on their bottoms. Spray the dye on the other three and if you end up with a non-dyed egg you'll know that she is actually laying. You can use a spray bottle, sprayed right in the vent. It won't hurt the chooks or the eggs - you'll just get a bit of colour on the outside of the egg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:48 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Check under her vent for any lice eggs (little grey cocoons attached to the base of the feathers) If these are present the poop will build up around them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Have the same problem with one of my chooks, washed her bum, but she is laying - the only one.