Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Duck issues

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Duck issues
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:15 pm 
Offline
Hatchling
Hatchling

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:03 pm
Posts: 2
Hi all.

I have two pekin ducks. both are unable to walk on their legs- both are still eating fine. just being lame and unable to walk and using its head to balance itself. Im at my wits end, i've tried everything. I'm currently adding vitamins and probiotics to their water.
They have no sign of bumblefoot or being egg bound.

any tips please?

:th :duck2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Duck issues
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:10 pm 
Offline
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:54 am
Posts: 13260
Location: Canberra
That's no good!

How old are they? What is their diet? Lack of quality protein can be an issue.

_________________
Cheerio, Rach
Blue Swedish Ducks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Duck issues
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:04 pm 
Offline
Hatchling
Hatchling

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:03 pm
Posts: 2
one of them is roughly 2 years old- the other one i bought her when she was an adult so im unsure of her age.

they are on a diet of fresh fruit and veggies with a seed mix from my local pet barn.

they were fine up until a month ago when this started happening - :-( and unfortunately no vet in my area will see them.

what would quality protein be?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Duck issues
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:37 pm 
Offline
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:54 am
Posts: 13260
Location: Canberra
I would definitely think that a lack of protein could be the problem here. Left to their own devices ducks will eat a lot of invertebrates. A diet of fruit, veg and grains won't be enough to replicate that. The best thing to do is to give them a good quality layer pellet. I use Laucke Showbird Breeder Micropellets for my ducks - these come in a very small pellet which ducks find easier to swallow. A complete pellet will have sufficient high quality protein in it from meat sources and high protein plant sources like legumes, soybeans etc. If you can't get that then put your birds on a high protein food for a couple of weeks, like chick starter, to give them a quick boost, then switch to whatever decent quality layer pellets you can buy in your area. That should be 90% of their diet. Things like leafy greeens and other veg can make up the remaining 10%.

_________________
Cheerio, Rach
Blue Swedish Ducks


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
©2004-2014 Backyardpoultry.com. Content rights reserved
freestone