Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Hens sudden dearhs possible poisoning

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:41 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

2 days ago opened layer pen in the morning , all run out with vigor, checked on 12 month old broodie splash lorp, got pecked for my intrusion. Came home from work this hen dead in run and a 4 year old slw also dead no marks on them and heavy, so hadn't gone light, both were bright and strong in the morning. :hmmm: . The next day, 12 month old silver wheaton marans cross hen dead and noticed the 3 year old ara hen constantly drinking , checked agian in half a hr still drinking, checked again later dead as a door nail with froth coming from vent :shoc .is it from poisoning, today everybody else all good. Would falling fermenting lemons cause this, will pick up these fruit tomorrow just in case.have been slack as so busy at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:56 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

So sorry, good birds to lose. Don't know, my lot eat fallen fruit, can't say I've ever made that connection. People say don't feed any citrus or peel but don't give a reason.

Maybe the fermenting, but that's my prejudice. Everyone goes on about fermenting feed and it always sounds like a pointless (if trendy) risk: I just don't know the fine line between fermented and wonderful or going bad/mouldy and dangerous. Not asking for definitions, just not going there.

Can rats pass anything on to chooks: not suggesting you have rats in the pens, but we do and they're very hard to eradicate. No chook losses yet but don't think it's healthy. Is it only hens affected, no roosters? I have had hens killed by an aggressive rooster with a nasty streak - but you'd know if that was happening.

With animals extreme thirst is one of the signs of oleander poisoning and it kills very quickly: no oleanders in the vicinity?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:16 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Sounds like poisoning - I have decaying citrus under the trees near the pens - chooks scratch around but they don't touch the citrus at all.
I've had the odd few do that but never found the answer - only guess was snake.

I'm with you PC. There has to be a fine line between fermented and rancid. Face bookers talking about fermenting layer pellets - no way. I even worry that the ginger beer is safe (but have to drink it to check)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:18 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Coffee splurt.
Yes sometimes I need to just close fb and come to the forum for sanity.
Is there a wavy fine line between old wives tales, home remedies, and total nutters?
(Sorry Mycoola, not helping).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:30 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

snake bite possible but they would go purple quick and not go stiff but have bad odour, another option heart attack ?
My chooks go nuts over old rotting food and fermenting stuff and haven't lost any to that yet .
I am still getting some with respitory but that makes them light so that be out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:27 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Heart attack is unlikely in multiple deaths.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:51 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

do your neighbors ever complain about your chooks ? even so it cant be proven....yet....if someone has maybe its poisoning, but more than likely its the fruit

[color=#008040]1 x blue leghorn,1 x buff leghorn,1 x exchequer leghorn,2 x gold spangled hamburgs,1 x black araucana,1 x white araucana,2 x bantam rir[/color]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:07 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

If the lemons are the cause then the question might be why they are they eating them.
In most cases with livestock depraved appetite is due to some dietary deficiency.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:43 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Put my money on snake/snakes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:03 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

No more deaths, maybe was snake :think: , have had red bellies in the run before but no chooks were bit, so maybe a brown.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:55 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Not convinced re snake, one hen maybe if it was in the way, but not four. An extra large brown snake was killed in a local (not mine) chook pen in the past week. Reluctantly, because it was obviously there for the mice not the chickens. But fear for the dogs over-ruled strong conservation beliefs - very conflicting. There was no concern that it 'might' kill a chook, it's just not common for black/brown/tiger snakes. Can't speak re pythons we are not in that climate.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:19 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Mycoola, glad the issue seems to have stopped. Have you thought about mould intoxication? Some moulds can make toxins that affect liver, nerves etc and therefore can cause sudden death. You did mention rotting fruit, but they would have to have eaten it, which seems doubtful if something like lemons. Could also be from a feed, especially grains. Is any discolored? Even individual seeds while the rest are OK? Perhaps pinky or dark yellow?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:57 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Not convinced it's a snake either I've seen plenty of browns in my chook and duck pens and never lost a bird.

Snakes don't waste their venom on things they can't eat, unless they're being attacked.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:03 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Squeaker wrote:

Snakes don't waste their venom on things they can't eat, unless they're being attacked.

Brown snakes around here are at present are extremely aggressive as they are out looking for a mate to mate with, they will have a go at any thing that gets in their way, I have lost horses due to browns, and I in all my life have never seen a snake swallow a horse?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:06 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I only have black snakes here. There is great consternation and alarm calls and avoidance if my chooks spot a snake. I am also of the school of thought that snakes don't waste venom and risk their lives unless they perceive that they are under threat: it would not be a good evolutionary strategy.