Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sick Chicken:Laboured Breathing, Walking Slowly, No Appetite

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:14 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have a two year old red hen (Lucy) who appears to be deteriorating over the past 24 hours.

Yesterday I noticed she was walking with her legs spread apart a bit, kind of slowly, but today she was hardly walking at all and didn't come out when I went to feed her (this has never happened before; she is a machine). I put some food in front of her anyway and she wasn't even interested.

Thisafternoon when I came home, I noticed she is taking big breaths and her breathing looks a little laboured (I can see her two little wobbly bits under her beak fully parting when she breaths and also the entire length of her neck expands).

I've had a look on Google but I'm having a hard time matching those symptoms. If anyone has any theories I am happy to research further, but I'm a little worried about her. She used to lay an egg every single day but stopped about six months ago and I've seen a lot of these "Steggles" hens go rapidly downhill once they stop laying.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:08 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Today she had some very green poo around her butt, which is also unusual because she is a very clean girl. I hosed this off but she is still breathing heavily and not eating.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:46 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The green poop is bile - because she is not eating. Can you click on the link below and cut and paste your answers back here
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7955698

also check her butt for smells, swelling or discharge and also smell her breath.