Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - tumour on leg - UPDATE

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:34 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Chicken gal - this is a very old listing but may be worth a try - otherwise try a post asking for a vet recomendation in Tas.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7993131

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:14 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hello Sue

Thanks Sue for the link

There is only one avian vet in Hobart and we have been to him twice with Esmae concerning the leg tumour. He thought it was an ingrown feather. We then had another opinion from a vet in Victoria who agreed it was a tumour. Removal would be a very delicate operation with 50/50 chance of survival - especially in her current condition. Even if the operation was a success the chance of her leg healing would be a long shot as the wound would be quite large offering little purchase for new skin to grow

We have given her some tetravet. Perhaps this will help her along concerning her secondary internal issue. She has lost a lot of weight and is a mear featherweight at the moment - although she is part bantam and a small breed. Her comb and wattle are still red and she still holds her tail high!

We will monitor tomorrow, and after work on Monday make another vet visit. Unfortunately the vet is only available Monday afternoon

I hate to loose her but do realise that there comes a time when you are keeping her alive only for your benefit - the welfare of the animal should always come first - which is easy to say and difficult to do. Cheers. Chicken-gal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:30 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi, ..... Anti fungal for humans? You can get "single dose" for thrush over the counter from the chemist, which includes 1 tablet and a cream. I found lots of hits on google typing "Canesten chickens" to suggest it would be safe. Perhaps split the tablet to 8ths and give one part per day. (please check for youself, i am not a vet...) Cream is easy to rub in.
The chemist might also have some advice....... Mine has certainly been helpful for non-human questions over the years..... At least it might tide you over until Monday.

Did the vet give a reason for refusing a biopsy? Perhaps another vet? If you are determined to keep trying, and you make that clear, there will surely be someone that will assist. sue dug out the thread with contacts. I hope it helps.

It's really hard to tell from photos, but it is possible the first vet was right re this being a foreign object/ingrown something and she is building tissue over it in an attempt to try to isolate the rest of her body from it... I imagine it is very painful for her. Nobody eats when they are in agony. When the body does this, a lot of energy goes into creating the tissue reaction rather than doing the normal things that keep you well.

The problem for your girl is how long this has already been going on. With every day that passes where she is unwell, not eating, the chances of her full recovery diminish. Have you got a plan regarding how long you will persevere?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:39 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

There seems to have been a bit of scaly leg in some of the earlier pics - my guess is that was the instigator.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:43 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hello

Good points and a valid question

We are discussing this later today re how long do we go on for.

We will be taking Esmae back to the vet Monday afternoon. Following his third diagnosis we will make a decision

My view is that the operation is not possible for reasons already discussed . If nothing can be done to rectify her intestinal problem, then there is only one solution left.

Chicken-gal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:45 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

sue55 wrote:
There seems to have been a bit of scaly leg in some of the earlier pics - my guess is that was the instigator.

I thought this also, but the area in question is a leg scale being pushed away as the tumour has grown. It can be difficult to get a full picture with only pictures.

She has eaten a little watermelon today

Thanks. CG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hello

I wanted to provide a follow up. I also wanted to thank everybody who tried to help Esmae.

Esmae was euthanised two weeks ago by a local vet.

She was a strong fighter, however, could not overcome her severe illness and problems. Euthanasia was the only option that remained open. I was not going to let her suffer further. Whether her problem stemmed from the growth on her leg being cancerous or other reasons, or both. is unknown.

Towards her last day she spent much of the day asleep with her head at a 90 degree angle, her eyes were closed. She would then awaken and appear normal for a short time before returning to the same position. As time went by she developed what appeared to be neurological issues. She would shake her head and try to turn it sideways. If she was walking she would fall over. She was not eating, however, drank quite a bit of water. When she drank, the water went to her lungs and she then spent an hour of so regurgitating frothy bubbles. The growth at this stage was considerably less swollen (no nutrients from not eating). Her stools when passed were watery and not solid.

I inverted her a few times to try and relieve her symptoms (water in lungs). This worked until she began to drink - then the issue began again.

We did hand feed her with an eye droper, however, it was clear she did not want to eat (for whatever reason). Her crop was not sour, nor was it compacted.

After death, the growth was easily removed and consisted of 80% keratin and 20% fatty substance. There was a blood supply.

The vet did not want to do an autopsy, however, I dissected her to try and see what the issue was. Her biggest issue after dissection was that the liver was completely covered in a thick fatty material. The liver upon palpation broke apart quite easily. At this stage it was obvious that the liver was not functioning correctly and this may have been one of the causes of death. The vet suggested she was in organ shutdown in which each of the organs slowly stop functioning. I looked carefully but could not observe any cancerous lumps on any of her tissues.

I attach some pictures and a short (disturbing) video.

http://vimeo.com/248763047
http://vimeo.com/248763754

Once again, Esmae thanks for for your concern and help. She is buried in the garden along with several bulbs. There will be a flush of flowers in season to remind us of her. Kind Regards, Chicken-Gal

Attachments:
File comment: Esmae_2
Esmae_2.JPG
Esmae_2.JPG [ 151.52 KiB | Viewed 770 times ]
File comment: Esmae_1
esmae_1.JPG
esmae_1.JPG [ 141.59 KiB | Viewed 770 times ]
File comment: Liver_2
liver_2.JPG
liver_2.JPG [ 122.54 KiB | Viewed 770 times ]
File comment: liver_1
liver_1.JPG
liver_1.JPG [ 139.09 KiB | Viewed 770 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:24 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Thanks for the update about Esme. I’m sorry that she wasn’t able to recover.

I’m sure her flowers will be beautiful.

I’ve also found that vets are reluctant to do much or any investigation post-death.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:06 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

What Rach said. You did the right thing by Esme.