Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Black spots on chickens face? What could it be?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:29 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hello,
So This morning I was hanging out with my chickens, like I do whenever I have spare time in the mornings, and noticed that one of my chickens had some bluish black splotches on her face. Instantly, I took it to the internet to start looking up different diseases that it could be or maybe even frostbite. Im not sure. I was wondering if I could get your opinions on what you may think it could be? she's acting fine. She's eating and perching and was healthy enough to jump and attack my phone. lol. I just am so concerned about the splotches though. Heres a pic.

Attachments:
25530556_964269963737172_1450383415_o.jpg
25530556_964269963737172_1450383415_o.jpg [ 544.78 KiB | Viewed 805 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:42 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

That looks like Fowl Pox. It’s something that they usually recover from on their own. Have a read of this article: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7971445

Main thing is to try to reduce stress so they can recover. Today it might be very hot where you are so, for example, keep them in the shade and hose down an area of the litter in their pen so they’ve got some moist dirt to dig into.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:14 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I am guessing since frostbite is named as a possibility the OP may be from the northern hemisphere, so may be dealing with the opposite problems we are. I am having trouble keeping ice up to my animals to try to keep them cool in the over 40 degree heat we are having and have never seen frostbite, however a Canadian colleague tells me it more commonly starts on the tips of combs and wattles and it is usually from moisture freezing on them. I am not sure if this would be likely under the eye as shown in the photo.

It does look like a fowl pox lesion, I thought it could only be spread by contact, so it would have been seen in other birds, or by mosquitoes. Regardless of what it is if she seems healthy and happy in her behaviour it is probably best to give her supportive care (TLC) unless she becomes worse and potentially needs veterinary attention.

Hope all goes well.