Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How to stop a puncture wound from bleeding, please help

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:35 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi All,

I have a BLGW that has a puncture wound to her lower back near the hip, I saw a hawk this afternoon however there was no co motion to suggest an attack.

The wound is an appropriate size to be a talon, it is a clean puncture with no sign of tearing, Treasure had a similar injury 2 weeks ago that I didn't find until the morning after I saw a pool of blood on the poop trays in their house, the wound had stopped bleeding by then and I just monitored it for infection, as well as adding extra vitamins, electrolytes and probiotics to the girls feed and water.

Is there any kind of spray on treatment that would seal the wound and stop the bleeding?

Any methods, suggestions or products would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps :th

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:46 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Bleeding is good - puncture wounds are the most likely to become infected, bleeding helps flush out any bacteria. If it doesn't stop by itself try a cold compress - the combination of cold and pressure should slow down the blood flow - otherwise treat with basic first aid - pad over injury, if the blood soaks thru don't remove it, add another one on top. I've used spray on plastic skin - keep re applying until wound is sealed. The risk there is that you seal in bacteria. If you can stop the bleeding with pressure, soak the dressing off tomorrow, pack with medical grade (chemist) Manuka Honey. It has antibacterial, debriding and healing properties.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks Sue, the bleeding stopped overnight :-)
Now all I need to work out is what it is about Treas that the hawk likes so much, as this is the 3rd time in 3 weeks that she has had a wound like this, all have been in a similar position and with the same look, if it isn't a hawk talon then what is it?
They do like a fortified recovery mash though.
The girls are in a large enclosed run (4 x 7 mts) through the day and get to free range in the afternoon, I'd hate to think what would happen if their run wasn't mesh roofed.
Thanks again for your help :-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:03 am 

I was told Vetericyn is very good for helping healing all sorts of wounds and does not sting when applied , it is a wound and skin care spray

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:24 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I think the honey is a good option. It will make life hard for bacteria without damaging any new cells (which things antiseptic sprays and ointments do).

If Treasure starts looking listless or quiet then she might need vet prescribed antibiotics. However chickens do have an awesome ability to heal form wounds.

I don't think it'd be a hawk that's doing the damage. If it's always Treasure getting the injury I'd suspect another chicken. What are the dynamics in the group?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Do you have a rooster? Spur injury?