Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - PRICES ARE DOWN!!! Chook performance enhancer spice blend.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:52 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Alina, could you please pm me details? I'd like to try the $4.60 pack (only got 4 chookies). Hmmm, maybe the quails ... :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:40 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Casscat.

Have sent you pm with the details.

Cheers, Alina.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:05 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hello again.

You may have noticed that the subject line has been edited.

As of today (28th July) the price for one bag of spice mix has gone up to $4.60 (Australia Post's doing, not mine!)

Given Australia Post's conditions, I can do the following:

1 x bag - $ 4.60 (posted)
2 x bags - $ 9.00 (posted)
3 x bags - $12.00 (posted)
4 x bags - $16.00 (posted)
5 x bags - $20.00 (posted)

But if you are thinking to buy 5 x bags, you are better to wait until I have enough expressions of interest in my bulk spice option and buy 450 gms of spice blend for $22.20, posted price, to anywhere in Australia. I only need to find homes for another 20 kg of my spice blend before I can place the order. :rofl:

Cheers, Alina.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:03 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hello again.

Sadly, I have not had enough responses for getting the spice blend in bulk.

If you are interested now or think you will be in the future, could you let me know? You don't need to order anything immediately - I just need to know that there are enough people out there that would be interested.

I will give it till August 10th - if I don't get the numbers by then, I will not be going ahead - which would be a shame. :upset:

Alina.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:42 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Just to let you know the sweet little 8month old silver sussex , Cilla, laid her first egg 30g ,I am sure it is the spice as she is so healthy. ( Her sister hasnt laid yet...she lives in another suburb of Adelaide.... ) Isnt always exciting the first egg!!

Jacx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:05 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Jacx and congratulations on your first egg!!

Glad your girls like the spice mix and glad it was of help.

May she lay bigger and better eggs in the future! :grouphug:

Cheers.

Alina.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:32 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Hi Alina

If it is still for human consumption I would order 450 grams.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:20 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi All great thread and have followed all the coments about the spice blend.
I have also started using these spices (pinched spices from the Wifes cupboard) and have gotten healthier chooks but have been told from a freind who buys our eggs that their are a large percentage off double yolkers since we started on the blend.
Has any body else noticed this or not? This freind also got a triple yolker as well.
Just interested to know if any body else had noticed this or bigger egg size as well?

Cheers Ovad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:09 am 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

Anything is possible but I'd hesitate to attribute double or triple yolkers to the spice blend. I have healthy birds that lay well and mostly, I only have a few weeks without eggs in winter.

My birds this year started laying in the first week in June. This is normal for my birds and they have been fed with spice since they were babies. I only recently added Mustard to their spice blend after reading about it here. I don;t see a noticeable improvement over "my" spice blend of Tumeric, Ginger, Fenugreek and Aniseed since the addition on Mustard but they are doing very well this season.

One of my Silver Sussex hens has been a part time layer. She lays smallish eggs and tends to go broody after about 30 eggs have been laid. This year her eggs are larger and she's laying every day (with the odd day off) and there's no sign of broodiness yet. This may be the mustard addition or it could be the season or, she could just have her act together... Who knows?

I'll always use the blend as I believe that my birds do better on it than off it.

Linz :)

A lot of Andalusians. Cockerel Breeder Brown Leghorns. PB Blue Leghorns PB Black Leghorns,
Working on Isabella Leghorns. Beautiful Anconas.
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:48 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

UPDATE

I have worked out a way to sell the spice in bulk without buying 30 kg of the stuff in one go!!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8015380

Check out the link for details.

Alina. :claps:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:21 pm 

Hi
Do you still sell the mix?
If so could you let me know the cost and how to order please?

Thanks
Bronwyn

quote="avtycoon"]Hi All.

There is a thread in another section of BYP about the benefits of giving your chooks the following herbs and spices - fenugreek, garlic, aniseed, tumeric, mustard powder and ginger. The recommended dose is 1/4 - 3/4 teaspoons in the morning added to the mash.

I priced the herbs/spices in the supermarket and to make up the smallest amount to give it a try costs approximately $2 per small packet of spice, and I need to buy 6 varieties (nearly $12)! So I have bitten the bullet and bought them wholesale.

If anyone would like to try this mix, I can make up a pure blend (no flour for suspension, just the powdered spices) for $4.60 a bag posted to anywhere in Australia (the $4.60 includes postage). The bags weigh approximately 50 grams each (a little bit over) - the $4.60 is per bag. This is quite a substantial amount of powder - approximately 120 x half teaspoon measures. These are all top quality, food grade spices - so if your chooks don't like it, you can use it yourself!! :rofl:

pm if you are interested.

Alina.

PS: As of today (28th July) the price for one bag of spice mix has gone up to $4.60 (Australia Post's doing, not mine!)
Given Australia Post's conditions, I can do the following:

1 x bag - $4.60 (posted)
2 x bags - $9.00 (posted)
3 x bags - $12.00 (posted)
4 x bags - $16.00 (posted)
5 x bags - $20.00 (posted)

But if you are going to buy 5 x bags, you are better to wait until I have enough expressions of interest in my bulk spice option and buy 450 gms of spice blend for $22.20, posted price to anywhere in Australia.[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:35 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Bronwyn.

Have pm'd you and posted your spice mix.

:peece :thumbs: :peece

Just to let everyone know - YES, I am still selling the spice mix. Prices are the same as last year (at least until Australia Post decides to increase their postage costs!!)

Sample packs are still available (if you haven't already given the spice mix a try) at $4.60 posted to anywhere in Australia.

Bulk quantities are also available.

Pick up from Daylesford is also a possibility - or I can deliver to the auctions (at least to Bacchus Marsh and Kyneton).

Cheers.

Alina.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:02 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Wow...
I really should pay more attention to the BYP boards... i've only just read this thread about your spice mix! (bit slow on the uptake aren't I).

Anyway, a couple of questions.
- What is the ratio you are using for mixing the spices? i.e. is it equals parts of each ingredient? (I'm not trying to make my own - you can keep the hard work :-) just curious).
- do you know where your wholesaler sources their spices from? i.e. country of origin?
- are they organic?
- Have you tried adding the kelp in yet?

I used to by a poultry supplement mix from GreenPet, but it was SO expensive that I could never afford to keep the chooks on it long enough to notice a difference, even though I am sure if they had stayed on it they would have done very well.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Sammiiz.

The formula/ingredients are listed on page one of this thread and also on the accompanying threads. It is EQUAL amounts of powdered garlic, mustard, fenugreek, aniseed, turmeric and ginger. When I first started I did it by volume, now I do equal amounts by weight. You can vary the mix to please yourself and your chooks. Even though my chooks get the garlic in the spice blend, I also give them extra granulated garlic, especially in the colder months.

As far as I know the spices that I buy are not organic (at least not certified organic). I'll see if I can find out the country of origin - but as Australia doesn't grow a lot of these, most likely they are all imported.

I occaisionally give powdered kelp to the chooks (from King Island), it goes down alright but I find the smell distasteful. I would prefer kelp granules but they are just out of my price range a.t.m. ...LOL....

Hope this answers all your questions.

Cheers.

Alina.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:53 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Hi Alina

I was recently gifted some of your mix and have started using it in mashes for the girls and LOVE the smell of it myself (and a curry could be coming very soon :think:) but am curious about the specific benefits attributed to the various spices.

Is this information contained in the original thread on BYP that you reference?
Can anyone direct me to that link or some information about the benefits as I could not find that thread with the normal Search facility.

Thanks
TT
Edited to add: Found it! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8014123&p=585654&hilit=spices#p585654

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next