Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - PRICES ARE DOWN!!! Chook performance enhancer spice blend.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:29 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi All.

There is a thread in another section of BYP about the benefits of giving your chooks the following herbs and spices - fenugreek, garlic, aniseed, tumeric, mustard powder and ginger. The recommended dose is 1/4 - 3/4 teaspoons in the morning added to the mash.

I priced the herbs/spices in the supermarket and to make up the smallest amount to give it a try costs approximately $2 per small packet of spice, and I need to buy 6 varieties (nearly $12)!! So I have bitten the bullet and bought them wholesale.

If anyone would like to try this mix, I can make up a pure blend (no flour for suspension, just the powdered spices) for $4.60 a bag posted to anywhere in Australia (the $4.60 includes postage). The bags weigh approximately 50 grams each (a little bit over) - the $4.60 is per bag. This is quite a substantial amount of powder - approximately 120 x half teaspoon measures. These are all top quality, food grade spices - so if your chooks don't like it, you can use it yourself!! :rofl:

pm if you are interested.

Alina.

PS: As of today (28th July) the price for one bag of spice mix has gone up to $4.60 (Australia Post's doing, not mine!)
Given Australia Post's conditions, I can do the following:

1 x bag - $4.60 (posted)
2 x bags - $9.00 (posted)
3 x bags - $12.00 (posted)
4 x bags - $16.00 (posted)
5 x bags - $20.00 (posted)

But if you are going to buy 5 x bags, you are better to wait until I have enough expressions of interest in my bulk spice option and buy 450 gms of spice blend for $22.20, posted price to anywhere in Australia.

Last edited by avtycoon on Thu May 29, 2014 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:58 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Sounds interesting Alina, good on you!!
Have you been using this "new" mixture on your chooks for awhile, or are you just starting with this blend too?
I will email you later.
Barrabool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:01 am 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

Just a word please. The original recipes for this comes from Poultry Spice made by the Battles Group in the UK. They use micronised wheat for suspension of the spices (as read by me from their label) and I would suggest that these pure spices be cut with flour or else, be very light in adding pure uncut to their food.

I cut mine with flour and never add more than 3/4 teaspoonful to their wet mash. Battles recommend 1/2 teaspoon for ten birds.

It would be good if we could post results of this at some future date so we can compare notes. My birds flourish on it.

Linz :)

A lot of Andalusians. Cockerel Breeder Brown Leghorns. PB Blue Leghorns PB Black Leghorns,
Working on Isabella Leghorns. Beautiful Anconas.
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:04 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Good to note linz, we don't want to end up killing them kindness. Good idea to add to post later and compare notes on improvements or lack of.
Barrabool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:28 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hello again.

I have been using granulated garlic in quite high doses - when I stopped using it for a month (due to $ issues!!) I noticed a definite decline in condition, especially an increase in sneezes and cold like symptoms. The chooks are all back on the garlic and looking good again. However, I go through about 5 kg of granualted garlic a month - for about 150 chooks.

I have started giving them fenugreek seeds - can't say if I have noticed a difference. I have just run out - so I will leave the seeds out for a month and see what happens.

The Colmans mustard people recommend 1 teaspoon per day per six chooks.

I have only just picked up my spices from the PO - I will let you know how I go.

Alina.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:28 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have had an enquiry as to whether or not this mix would be suitable for ducks and geese :hmmm:

I have absolutely no idea (not having any ducks or geese myself).

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on this matter - please let me know.

Thank you in advance :thumbs:

Alina.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:28 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Well, the first lot gets posted out today!

Feedback would be much appreciated. :addicted:

:thanks:

Alina.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:13 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Thanks Alina
Arrived today so I put 1/4 tsp in their mash. Is that enough or need 1/2tsp for 11 birds?
Let you know how we go.

Hope it ups the egg production

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:51 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Redjohanna.

That was quick!! Normally the PO are so slow!! :bolt:

I'd start them with 1/4 for the first few days and probably up it to a 1/2 after that - the original Colman's ad suggested 1 full teaspoon of mustard powder alone, per 6 standard birds! See if there are any side effects and adjust the amount accordingly. (I started mine off at the amount that I thought was appropriate on day one - they all got runny poo!!! So now I have gone right down in dose and started working up to the proper amount!!!)

Alina.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:56 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Quick question. When you say cut with flour. I assume you mean mix with flour to spread the spice out. How much flour to spice do you mix.

Hope I am not off the track with my thinking.

Also Fenugreek do you use seed or a powder. I too went and got all spices you previously mentioned yesterday but could only get the seed.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:41 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Quacker.

No idea at all about cutting with flour - I'm assuming it's in the original blend as an extender and to help mix the spices (it takes a lot of mixing to make sure that the blend is even, this would definitely be easier to do - especially on a larger scale - if the herbs were suspended in something like the flour or micronised wheat). Cutting with flour would also make it harder to overdose the chooks!

The blend that I sell is just the pure spices mixed together - you can then choose how much to "cut" it. I also had problems getting some of the ingredients from the supermarket (small country town), so that's why I ended up buying it in bulk. That way, I was able to get all the spices in a powder form - although I have also given my chooks fenugreek seeds (which they like).

Good luck perfecting the blend.

Cheers.

Alina.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:55 pm 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

When I make my blend, I make 1.5Kg's at a time and I start with 500gms of hard wheat wholemeal flour to keep the protein content high. I then add all the spices at 200gms per spice.

That's how I've always done it except that I now add mustard due to the originating thread.

My birds get between 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon mixed into their wet mash in the mornings (and a little more in the late afternoons now)

My fowls are raised on non medicated food from the brooder box onwards and there's never a problem with any disease (so far, touch wood).

Linz :)

A lot of Andalusians. Cockerel Breeder Brown Leghorns. PB Blue Leghorns PB Black Leghorns,
Working on Isabella Leghorns. Beautiful Anconas.
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:19 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Well i am ready to give this a try. I want to give it to the young birds of about 4 months. Just to boost their immune system through Winter.

They are also now getting garlic in their water once or twice a week.

I am trying this with silkies as I find they can be a bit finer than other breeds.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:58 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Just an update.

Australia Post seem to be out-doing themselves and all the spices that I have posted have arrived in reasonable time and in good condition!! Let's hope this contiues!! :claps:

Alina.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:47 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

avtycoon wrote:
I have had an enquiry as to whether or not this mix would be suitable for ducks and geese :hmmm:

I have absolutely no idea (not having any ducks or geese myself).

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on this matter - please let me know.

Thank you in advance :thumbs:

Alina.

Hi Alina

I think your mix will work on ducks and geese.
I have an egg laying powder what I used on ducks and it worked also well.
There is one thing to watch out and it is the moisture before packing
so no mould will grow in the mix.

regards Juergen