Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - AVGEN buying experience

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:48 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Avgen wrote:

We didn't do this import for the money, that would be way too sensible,

Yes indeedy - way too sensible! Sometimes one does things just because one can. The birds are here for the sake of the birds. In 2013, ARPIS had 4000 birds put down because 2 or 3 tested positive for Salmonella pullorum. One of the largest single flocks of Crevecoeur in the world was destroyed. One of the largest single flocks of Old English Pheasant Fowl was destroyed. A travesty, but still, they had to comply with the letter of the law. Avgen has done just that, and hopes to do so again this year.

At 10 times the prices that Avgen are asking, these birds would still be a fair price. I would like to see every single one of them go to someone who has a serious understanding of genetic conservation, and a strong interest in maintaining these breeds for reasons other than $$$, prestige and show ribbons.

Cheers, Jan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:27 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

From my experiences

1. How do you find your overall experience of buying chooks from AVGEN. Excellent. Nothing to complain about

2. How are the chooks? Are they up to scratch for the amount charged? The price reflects the rarity and potential, not necessarily the quality of the individual birds. These birds have had at least two generations with minimal selective pressure due to the conditions of their housing. Having said that, the birds I have received will certainly be expected to produce birds that meet the required standards in all respects.

3. How are the communications? Were you shown any pics before committing yourself for paying big bucks for the chooks that you selected? Were you given a choice to choose your chooks? Communications are slow at times but they are busy with their own lives and other business. Individual pics are not available but general pics of the stock are available on their facebook page. You don't get to choose your birds but I am more than happy with what was chosen on my behalf.

4. Any other good/bad experience you have had with them? Hand delivered, healthy birds. Couldn't ask for better service. I will be back for 2nds and 3rds.

Breeder of Exotic waterfowl, wild type Muscovy, Dutch bantams, Phoenix and Yokohama Fowls.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:14 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

pleased to see a thread on BYP regarding the recent import of chooks, etc.
were there any waterfowl imported?
there has been very little publicity about the imports which is understandable after what happened to all the others. a sad day a lot of people will never get over.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:13 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Janniwan wrote:
JP_D'Roo wrote:
Hi Dotten,

Yes Im aware that their stocks are mainly imported stocks. And Im aware of the cost associated with it.

ALL ....not MAINLY. ALL imported stock. I'm VERY curious to know how you happen to be aware of the cost associated with the AvGen import, given that these costs have not been revealed to anyone? That makes me wonder who you might actually be? The costing for the Avgen import was totally different to that for the failed 2014 ARPIS import.

The original source flocks for the import were selected by Fred Hams in the UK. His name and his reputation are well known.
The birds are very healthy, and have been looked at by some of the top breeders in Australia, who have been assisting with selection. Birds are being selected by Avgen for selling mostly as Trios, so obviously some culling is happening.
Very obviously you won't be invited onto the property to look at these birds in person. Strict biosecurity measures are in place, as well as a considerable amount of intruder security.

As far as photos and communication with AvGen - there is some problem with extremely slow internet communication. many people in Australia are experiencing this problem at present. I could take photos of the birds I have here, but in general I prefer not to. I am not a good photographer, and my import birds are at the end of a breeding season, and looking shabby. If you are a member of the RPBA they have already done an article on the Crevecoeur breed, including photos of mine, and those from Avgen. They are currently working on an article about the Sumatras.
If you buy the next Australasian Poultry Magazine, there will be an article on AVgen imported Dutch Bantams, and more articles in the following months, written by Luke Price.

If you are on Face Book, you can join breed specific groups for Dutch Bantams, Derbyshire Redcap & Old English Pheasant Fowl, Crevecoeur, Scots Greys. There will be photos put up by purchasers of import birds over the next few months. The problem with discussing anything related to the import, on FB is that the threads disappear so quickly. You can follow AvGens home page on Face Book and ask questions there. I don't know if you have already done so, but as you are hiding behind an obscure name, it is hard to know.

I'm Jan Sparks, by the way, and I have had a considerable amount to do with the Avgen import, but I am not a partner in the import. I have some of the breeds here, and have been hatching chicks here over the past few months, and growing them on ready for Avgen to sell.
Any thing else I can help you with?

Correct me if Im wrong, on their facebook page, March 5 post

IMPORT BIRDS

We now have our next generation of CREVECOURS, DUTCH BANTAMS and DERBYSHIRE REDCAPS available now @ $750 per trio. Please email avgenpoultry@westnet.com.au

Ani Trans are offering 3 cages for the price of two for delivery on their next run, please contact them directly to arrange transport.

All the birds are now free-ranging (on a roster except for the Dutch Bantams who are allowed to do what they want!).

SUMATRAS We are in the processing of sexing our Sumatras. These will be $2000 per pair or $3000 per trio. We have black and blue, priority will be given to those who emailed registered with us in the first instance and we do have quite a waiting list for this birds. We expect to be releasing the first birds in May.

WHITE CROAD LANGSHAN will be available in early June, these will be $1000.00 per trio. Lovely large birds with a beautiful nature.

OLD ENGLISH PHEASANT FOWL- these magnificent wee birds will be available in June - these are $900 per trio. These birds love to free range so would be ideal for farms or larger properties with plenty of space.

UTILITY LEGHORNS (non imported) $100 per trio, fantastic layers.

Please contact email avgenpoultry@westnet.com.au with your real name.

As per above, utility leghorns are non imported. So I guess its fair to say not ALL stocks are imported?

Question: How do I happen to be aware of the cost associated?
Answer: I do not exactly know how much money is involved and it probably wont be revealed and I dont really care, but it is common sense that tells me considerable amount of money is involved in carrying out such tasks and I respect that.

Question: Wonder who I might actually be?
Answer: Just an ordinary person who happen to like keeping chickens as hobby like everyone else here. No-one special. Not associated with ARPIS, only knew about ARPIS and its ordeal a few weeks ago. Someone who's really interested to obtain stocks from AVGEN.

I dont know why some people get so defensive about this topic, we have threads on reviewing certain products like incubators, just sharing ones opinions and nothing about name and shame, so far all feedback has been good and its a positive thing for AVGEN.

Thanks for putting your name up, I dont really know who you are and I dont really care.

To me, if one runs as a 'company', one should at least have the courtesy to respond to requests/questions of his/her customers/potential customers, does not need to be a lengthy response. I am aware and understand that people behind AVGEN has other things to do e.g. day jobs, organising more imports, etc. I sent 2 emails, one on March 8, another one on March 15, still waiting for a response, or perhaps one that I will never get.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:13 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

DannyB wrote:
From my experiences

1. How do you find your overall experience of buying chooks from AVGEN. Excellent. Nothing to complain about

2. How are the chooks? Are they up to scratch for the amount charged? The price reflects the rarity and potential, not necessarily the quality of the individual birds. These birds have had at least two generations with minimal selective pressure due to the conditions of their housing. Having said that, the birds I have received will certainly be expected to produce birds that meet the required standards in all respects.

3. How are the communications? Were you shown any pics before committing yourself for paying big bucks for the chooks that you selected? Were you given a choice to choose your chooks? Communications are slow at times but they are busy with their own lives and other business. Individual pics are not available but general pics of the stock are available on their facebook page. You don't get to choose your birds but I am more than happy with what was chosen on my behalf.

4. Any other good/bad experience you have had with them? Hand delivered, healthy birds. Couldn't ask for better service. I will be back for 2nds and 3rds.

Thanks Dan, very helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:56 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

The leghorns were some of the sentinal birds used at Spotswood. No one ever claimed them to be import birds.

What breed are you actually interested in, given that you are hoping for photos?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:55 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Janniwan wrote:
The leghorns were some of the sentinal birds used at Spotswood. No one ever claimed them to be import birds.

What breed are you actually interested in, given that you are hoping for photos?

Dont worry.

Lyn from Avgen has responded to my emails, a very nice email and answered all my questions.

The reason why it took so long was because the email went into her spam folder (as it would happen to anyone).

I will definitely be getting some chickens from AVGEN once my pens are constructed.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:42 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have just bought a trio from Avgen and found them to be very professional and helpful. I know communication can sometimes be a little slow but these are incredibly busy people & they are dealing with a range of enquiries from genuine buyers to the just curious. If you want to be a part of this amazing opportunity be patient and appreciative, believe me it will be worth it.