Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - AVGEN buying experience

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AVGEN buying experience
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:02 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi all,

I'm interested in the opinion of those who have bought chooks from AVGEN.

1. How do you find your overall experience of buying chooks from AVGEN.

2. How are the chooks? Are they up to scratch for the amount charged?

3. How are the communications? Were you shown any pics before committing yourself for paying big bucks for the chooks that you selected? Were you given a choice to choose your chooks?

4. Any other good/bad experience you have had with them?

I am in no way related to AVGEN. I am interested in getting some from them once my future pens have been constructed, however, I would like to ensure reasonable quality before committing myself, I do not mind paying the amount requested if the chooks are of good quality. I have not heard from them after sending my first email to them requesting about the breed I like. Anyone has similar experience?

Regards,
JP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:30 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Not sure if you are aware but the reason avgen's stock is so expensive is because they have recently imported it. With the quarantine restrictions in Australia, this is a mammoth task with lots of expense attached. The breeds they have are rare in Australia and the reason for most of the imports is to increase the gene pool of the Australian stock. I think it is safe to assume that they would have chosen top quality stock for this purpose and also safe to assume they know what they are doing when it comes to disease management.

I am not affiliated with them nor have i dealt with them, just sayin ;-) .

Shane.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:33 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Dotten,

Yes Im aware that their stocks are mainly imported stocks. And Im aware of the cost associated with it.

Hence I'm wondering if anyone here has dealt with them and may provide / share their experience with us.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:56 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

No, I haven't purchased from them, but it is a real organisation not an internet scam, in case you were wondering.

I haven't seen the birds but I would expect price to be a reflection of rarity rather than quality. In some of the breeds available it is an opportunity to acquire something not available anywhere else in Australia. That does not mean it's exhibition quality. It means that it's very rare in this country.

I believe that Avgen is a small business and the proprietor would have other commitments and workload. You may have to wait a few days for a response to your email but I'm sure it will come.

In all poultry purchases, I would recommended seeing the fowls you are buying first if it is at all possible. That way you know that you will be happy with them.

Good luck in your purchases. :-D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:09 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

JPD it might be circumspect to request replies, particularly any that may be adverse, by PM. Forums aren't the place to ask leading/loaded questions that invite criticisms (as well as bouquets) of any business. This out of consideration for the Forum owners.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:21 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I'm happy to say I bought Dutch bantams . Beautiful animals .So well cared for .
For me they are quality and the advice I've been given is that they are particularly nice-esp the cockerel ....looking forward to showing the offspring when that works out .Now I'm picking all brains ( British ) for advice.
Avgen were fine to deal with .answered all my questions had pictures and communicated well .
I will not transport due to their abysmal communication and other issues.
The stock are expensive and I understand your concerns but I cannot speak highly enough of Avgen . The whole transaction was so professional ... when do you get a month guarantee regarding replacement of stock!!

I am so pleased with the whole thing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:27 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks eggy for the info, appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:41 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

PossumCorner wrote:
JPD it might be circumspect to request replies, particularly any that may be adverse, by PM. Forums aren't the place to ask leading/loaded questions that invite criticisms (as well as bouquets) of any business. This out of consideration for the Forum owners.

I dont see any issues with sharing ones opinion here about a company? Positive criticism will help a company grow stronger, if the company decides to take it on and make appropriate changes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:19 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

JP D'Roo - PossumCorner has probably also suggested using PMs for any adverse experience as Backyard Poultry Forum has a no name and shame policy :-D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:33 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

JP_D'Roo wrote:
I dont see any issues with sharing ones opinion here about a company? Positive criticism will help a company grow stronger, if the company decides to take it on and make appropriate changes.

That is a valid point JP however it can start a downward spiral. The no name and shame policy is conducive to a positive, supportive environment for all users. Was it Peter Rabbit that said "If you don't have nuffin nice to say then don't say nuffin"?.....it was one of those rabbit cartoon characters anyway :laughing .

Shane.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:27 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

DottesnSilk wrote:
JP_D'Roo wrote:

That is a valid point JP however it can start a downward spiral. The no name and shame policy is conducive to a positive, supportive environment for all users. Was it Peter Rabbit that said "If you don't have nuffin nice to say then don't say nuffin"?.....it was one of those rabbit cartoon characters anyway :laughing .

I believe it was Thumper.

Breeder of Exotic waterfowl, wild type Muscovy, Dutch bantams, Phoenix and Yokohama Fowls.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:39 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

That's him....thanks DannyB

Shane.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:08 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Just found this post and thought I would put my tuppence worth in.... I have no objection to any criticism so long as it is constructive and they author has had dealings directly with myself. I can't always get on line, I receive a large amounts of emails a day regarding Avgen - mainly asking if I have French Marans available and how was I able to import, I also receive emails for work and personal ones. I can't always reply straight away, as there is a business to run, animals to feed, far too many chickens, another import to organise as well as looking after one hundred other day to day things. so I hope there is some understanding out there.

We didn't do this import for the money, that would be way too sensible, but to bring in rare breeds and one day if we ever break even, I'll be the happiest person in the world!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:49 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Avgen wrote:
Just found this post and thought I would put my tuppence worth in.... I have no objection to any criticism so long as it is constructive and they author has had dealings directly with myself. I can't always get on line, I receive a large amounts of emails a day regarding Avgen - mainly asking if I have French Marans available and how was I able to import, I also receive emails for work and personal ones. I can't always reply straight away, as there is a business to run, animals to feed, far too many chickens, another import to organise as well as looking after one hundred other day to day things. so I hope there is some understanding out there.

We didn't do this import for the money, that would be way too sensible, but to bring in rare breeds and one day if we ever break even, I'll be the happiest person in the world!

well said. it appears to me this enterprise may well be the savior of some of these rare breeds if anything were to happen in the uk such as disease outbreak etc. keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:39 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

JP_D'Roo wrote:
Hi Dotten,

Yes Im aware that their stocks are mainly imported stocks. And Im aware of the cost associated with it.

ALL ....not MAINLY. ALL imported stock. I'm VERY curious to know how you happen to be aware of the cost associated with the AvGen import, given that these costs have not been revealed to anyone? That makes me wonder who you might actually be? The costing for the Avgen import was totally different to that for the failed 2014 ARPIS import.

The original source flocks for the import were selected by Fred Hams in the UK. His name and his reputation are well known.
The birds are very healthy, and have been looked at by some of the top breeders in Australia, who have been assisting with selection. Birds are being selected by Avgen for selling mostly as Trios, so obviously some culling is happening.
Very obviously you won't be invited onto the property to look at these birds in person. Strict biosecurity measures are in place, as well as a considerable amount of intruder security.

As far as photos and communication with AvGen - there is some problem with extremely slow internet communication. many people in Australia are experiencing this problem at present. I could take photos of the birds I have here, but in general I prefer not to. I am not a good photographer, and my import birds are at the end of a breeding season, and looking shabby. If you are a member of the RPBA they have already done an article on the Crevecoeur breed, including photos of mine, and those from Avgen. They are currently working on an article about the Sumatras.
If you buy the next Australasian Poultry Magazine, there will be an article on AVgen imported Dutch Bantams, and more articles in the following months, written by Luke Price.

If you are on Face Book, you can join breed specific groups for Dutch Bantams, Derbyshire Redcap & Old English Pheasant Fowl, Crevecoeur, Scots Greys. There will be photos put up by purchasers of import birds over the next few months. The problem with discussing anything related to the import, on FB is that the threads disappear so quickly. You can follow AvGens home page on Face Book and ask questions there. I don't know if you have already done so, but as you are hiding behind an obscure name, it is hard to know.

I'm Jan Sparks, by the way, and I have had a considerable amount to do with the Avgen import, but I am not a partner in the import. I have some of the breeds here, and have been hatching chicks here over the past few months, and growing them on ready for Avgen to sell.
Any thing else I can help you with?