Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Need safe transport cockerel from Adelaide - Alice Springs

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:08 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi, everyone! :SOS

I have a possible buyer for my 17 1/2 wk old Buff Orpington cockerel. I need to find out what is the best and least stressful transport option for this cockerel from Adelaide to Alice Springs. Anyone know of any reliable and trustworthy transporters who go that way? :dontknow

Thank you in advance! :smile blink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:19 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time here with this character as he is not responding to my questions about whether he has had chickens before and what is his setup over there. I suppose he could just be busy and has not had time to answer. He calls himself Thomas and states that he tried to find out this information last week but with no result. He's very minimilistic communication wise. Maybe he's at work or something. But, I'm certainly not going to send a chicken over until he answers my questions! Anyway, it won't be a total waste as, at least, I'll have more information about any future possibilities of chicken transportation that I didn't have before!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:48 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Can't help with the transport question, however if he is serious, he should be asking you the questions. I certainly wouldn't pay to transport a cockerel interstate unless he was from a very reputable breeder and I had seen pics and knew about his breeding background.
I'm not sure that Alice Springs is the best climate for a large heavy breed like an Orpington unless the housing etc is suitably set up.
If he goes, make sure that you get your money upfront.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:34 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

The buyer is the one that should be arranging transport. Not the seller. If you dont hear any more from him then sell the bird to someone else.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you, Redjohanna and Sue55,

Don't worry. I had no intention of selling the cockerel without the money first. But, you're right though. He should be the one organising the transport. I was just trying to help him. Since I haven't gotten any further information than what you guys have already posted on transporting chickens in your other forum, I'll just give him those people to contact and the pet carrier company I found, and he can go from there. It appears that I received a message earlier this afternoon (I had to go out for a while) saying, "No. This is his first time with chickens and he was looking at getting 10 - 15 of them. I gather he meant hens! I've only got one cockerel! Lol! But, I shall also suggest that he research the breeds that he is interested in, and find out what is required for such a hot climate.

Thanks for your help! :th