Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Frizzle eggs

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frizzle eggs
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:14 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Picked up these eggs today, quite large, frizzle hens, roo is ara cross frizzle, by the egg colours probably none are true frizzles. Want them to hopefully get some hens that lay coloured eggs for layer pen.
Attachment:
1523675603146-1192517146.jpg
1523675603146-1192517146.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 1728 times ]

Post subject: Re: Frizzle eggs
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:04 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Good sizes, nice. The egg colour thing gets addictive in its own right, I don't know if this is good or bad for pure-bred heritage breeds. But if you can get hold of a Marans/Araucana cross rooster for the pullets you hatch from those eggs, should then continue with some more good colours in their progeny, dark olives etc.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:51 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I find it really hard not to do Ara crosses for egg colour but I've committed to keeping my pures separate.
The Ara X Frizzle over Frizzles will probably give you some Frazzles (brittle feathers - dbl dose of frizzle gene)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:15 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Ha, you have better moral fibre than I do sue55. I keep saying it's the wrong thing to do, then the little voices in my head take over. (And yes second that, never breed frizzle to frizzle, cruel result).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:33 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

yes some will have double doze friz and look bad, not planning on keeping a friz roo. where the eggs come from she also so has cuckoo marans, and I will be getting some eggs of her again :roll: so probably if all goes well, will put a cuckoo marans roo over the friz, fraz, and the dlg barnies and the 2 marans crosses. should make a interesting layer pen. may get some nice olive eggers from the mix.
the friz hens she has are white, black and cuckoo. hope to get some cuckoo pullets, even better for when/if I get a cuckoo marans roo.
normal feather over friz 50/50 friz, normal, over fraz all friz,if i'm correct.
MAN I NEED TO CONTROL MYSELF :roll: :aaargh: :rofl: :mmaad

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:22 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Hatched got 8, 3 black with some white dots randomly on heads, maybe cuckoo :dontknow , and 5 with grey looking down, don't think are splash :?: , have to wait until flight feathers come . Big chicks and strong :thumbs: .

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:35 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Good going. I'd never use facebook for advice - here is so more reliable. But among the special interest groups, the one for coloured and olive etc eggs has some useful inf and shows an increasing niche market for them. For sure the eggs from your pen won't be for eating - there is a wide interest in keeping backyard chooks for egg colour above everything. (And share the control need here: I've just put a blue leghorn rooster with some olive-egger and Araucana hens).

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:51 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Mostly the eggs will be for.eating, but may sell too. Now.that the chicks stopped for.a rest was 9, one more grey down chick.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:56 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

:sounds a good mix with blue leghorn roo ,.should lift egg laying and egg size of future pulllets.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:22 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

the greyish down chicks flights are coming through looks either silver or lavender, interesting, waiting to feather more and see in natural light. either one will be a pretty Frizzle.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:56 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Chicks growing well, 2 cuckoo, 1 black, and the rest look lavender. there is 2 straight feather in lavender. none at this stage appear double dose frizzle. their sire was cross Ara, and must have lavender in he's genes, and some of the hens must too have been carrying lav. at this stage possible 2 cockerals and the rest pullets, fingers crossed. there is a mix of straight comb and pea comb.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:01 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Nice result. Only one frizzle here, a blue Polish. I keep not using him for anything because I'm not a frizzle fan. By the time I decide to he'll be almost too old. Have two cuckoo pullets, Polish x Araucana that I almost put with him, but have just bought a new cuckoo Marans rooster, so that's the plan for them now. (Pick him up in 2-3 weeks). And also just bought two (2)! Cream Legbar roosters, so coloured eggs now more of a plan.

So - when your cuckoo chicks above are producing eggs, (?maybe early summer) I'll apply to be on your list for some eggs by mail to keep my cuckoo lot going ahead.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:22 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Shouldn't be a problem, only might not know which eggs are theirs, will have to hopefully catch them laying and see what colour eggs they lay. Hope one cuckoo is a cockerel which would make it easier. I think one of the lavender frizz is a cockerel. If don't get decent cockerel they will probably end up being with the splash laced red standard Wyandotte roo. At two minds whether to part with this roo and the only standard hen, and just continue with blr Wyandotte bantams as have enough good laced one's this year to step up the breeding. So if part with the 2 standards keeping a frizz cockerel will.be easier. Cheers Mycoola.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:23 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Mycoola, I really think you need to put some pics up...... Please? ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:27 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi all, just to digress a tad off topic, but while I got a few brain trusts here, can you tell me do all pure bred Araucuna females lay only blue coloured eggs.