Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Incubator problems

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Incubator problems
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I am having the worst time with my incubator! It is a Hova Bator still air one. I have not had one successful hatch in it yet - not with chicken or with duck eggs! The only luck I have had is in an IM that I have borrowed from the school I work at.

I have just taken out the duck eggs that havnt hatched at all. They were due on Friday last week and nothing but a bad smell was coming from the incubator. I candled them at 10 days and there were 5 that were good out of the 8 I put in there. I cracked all of the eggs that were good today and they were all full ducklings and 4 of the 5 were dead - felt really terrible bout the one that was moving..... but I dont think it was going to hatch!

I have followed the instructions that came with it and have corrected what I thought I was doing wrong. Almost at the point of getting another one - problem is dont have the cash to do that :cry:

Any suggestions to get it working for me??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:18 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Sounds like the temperature may have been too low seeing as the one live duckling was so overdue. I'm not familiar with the thermometer used in a Hova Bator, but in my Bellsouth, I lay the thermometer ontop of the eggs and keep the temperature stable at 103 degrees F.

Jacquie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:53 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

I use a hovabator and i have some successes with it. Read the sticky on incubating with a styrofoam incubator and then please ask any questions you feel necessary.

Incubating is just not a simple as it sounds although once you come to grips with it you will get good results.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:45 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I had the thermometer sitting on the eggs and it was sitting steady at 100 F. It took a full day to stabilize the temp before I put the eggs in. Its got me wondering what else I could get wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:42 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I think your temp has been too low.
I have been led to believe that still air bators should operate at 103F or 39.5C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:53 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

There's your problem... 100 degrees F is too low. Have you got the instruction manual? What does it say for duck eggs?

I run my Bellsouth at 103 degrees F or even up to a max of 104 degrees F. My duck eggs always start hatching a day early. I've found that I get a higher number of females to males at the slightly elevated temperature.

Jacquie
[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:19 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

A fan forced unit the recommended temperature is 100 deg f. This is the temperature the embryo needs to be at. The fan stirs the air so that the temperature at the top of the eggs is very close to the temperature at the bottom and middle of the eggs.

A still air is different. The temperature at the top of the incubator is warmer than at the bottom in these units because it doesn't stir the air.
A temperature of higher than 100 degs at the top of the eggs is usually recommended by manufacturers as this is needed to ensure the middle of the egg is at the right temperature.

You have to go by the manufacturers instructions of what the temperature should be and very importantly where they say you should measure it.

Make sure your vents are open as much or more as the instructions specify. NEVER USE THE VENTS AS A WAY OF TRYING TO INCREASE HUMIDITY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:35 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ahhhh - too cold!! I have gone thru the instructions again (seems like the millionth time) and it just says 100F - nothing different for any different eggs.

I didnt touch the vents at all last time - and made sure the kids didnt get near it too...

I will have to try again and rise the temp to at least 103F - hopefully it works this time!

Thanks everyone for the advise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:58 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

If the instructions say 100 deg F then stick with 100 deg F.

Use a different thermometer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:04 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have used 2 different thermometers so far as the first one got broken in the auto turner...

I will try a batch at 103F and see if that was the problem. Altho I have a chook looking like she is going clucky - hopefully she stays that way till Monday cause I will have a spare pen for her then :wink: .