Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - New chicks....I need help!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:37 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Three of the four eggs that we put under our silkie hen have hatched. I have a few questions if someone would be kind enough to answer.

1. Is it likely that the other egg will still hatch? The other three hatch 24 hours ago.

2. We have moved them into their own little pen. Do we give both the chicks and the hen starter crumbles or should the hen have her normal pellets/grain?

3. Will the hen teach the chicks to eat and drink?

4. We have the pen inside the chook house at the moment, is it okay to move it out onto the grass during the day?

5. Do we need to vaccinate the chicks?

Sorry for all the questions, this is the first lot of chicks we have hatched and we are very proud but very inexperienced :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:26 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

congrats!
Firstly try candling the egg, it will be very hard to see but just to check to see if the chick is still alive.

Supply both chick starter crumbles and your normal feed for the hen. The chicks wont be able to eat the pellets (thats why they get fed a crumble) But chances are the hen will prbably eat abit of the crumbles aswell.

Silkies are know to be very good parents. So you have the easy job of supplying fresh food and water and she will do the rest!

It should be alright to move them outside if the weather is warm enough. If it is too cold you will find that they will all hide under their mum anyway.

cant help you with the vaccinating question, sorry

Hope this helps a little bit :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:39 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Thanks clucky, that is a great help. There is so much to learn! My little hen is proving to be a great first time mum. I have just put some crumbles and some grain in two containers, into the pen and also some fresh water. They weren't too interested but they did go straight into the nesting box. Rosie settled down on top of them and tucked them in. I will go and check them again before I go to bed. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:56 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

All the chicks were eating the chick starter and drinking this morning. It is too windy to put them outside today so I will leave them in the chook house in their little pen until the wind dies down. Still not sure about vaccinating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:52 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

From my knowledge it isnt really benefitial to vaccinate a small backyard flock. I know i wont be worrying about it.