Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - yolk sac not absorbed

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: yolk sac not absorbed
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:32 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi, my stepdad and his mate has been incubating some chinese goose eggs but a few times now the eggs have hatched out and the goslings have had a lump on them as if their insides are on the outside of them.

I have searched on the net for them and the closest i have got to is that it is the yolk sac not being absorbed. my dad and his mate both have incubators and this has happened to the both of them now, so we know it isnt something one is doing different to the other. there is one incubator in the garden shed, and the other incubator is in the house. they have managed to hatch eggs before its only these eggs thats been giving them any problems. i dont think it is ginetic as not all the eggs have been like this from these geese. the geese are no way related at all so it isnt inbreeding. i suspect that the temperature is too low but they said they have hatched geese in there in the past so im lost.This has happened to 3 or 4 eggs now.

is there anyone here who has had this problem and knows what is causing this to happen or what they can do to stop it happening again?, id be really gratefull to anyone who may be able to help as seeing them born like this is getting distressing now,

thank you in advance,
claire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:10 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

3 or 4 eggs out of how many?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:40 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Did the goslings hatch naturally like this, or were they helped out of their shells?

Is it a still air incubator or fan forced?

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:58 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Location: drought or flooding rain with the random bushfire storm = yep thats about it for here
I was going to ask the same as Jocler - I have had one hatch 'early' [unaided] with the yolk not yet absorbed properly - we kept her in the shell as best we could wrapped in a slightly damp cloth in the incubator [so the cloth wouldn't singe- but I DON'T recommend this at all] I only did it coz the kids were so distressed and I agreed to give her a chance at life - she stayed 2 days in the incubator like that before she wanted to come out of the half shell she was in - the yolk had absorbed by that time - she was hand raised to the point of absurdity :? and now thinks she is a cross between a human and a dog :shock: :lol: -
I have found with my geese that it can take up to 3 days for them to hatch [fully release from the egg] - this was the only time I have assisted and then only because she was out of the shell by her own means. And I assisted by 'shoving' her back in LOL - Others have hatched fully within 24hrs.
Are the goslings being assisted - are they first season birds eggs - I prefer to wait for the 2nd season before I incubate a birds eggs - I have always had much more success with 2nd season onwards eggs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:09 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Location: drought or flooding rain with the random bushfire storm = yep thats about it for here
P.S. - what is the weather like where the incubators are - eg - predominantly foggy - rainy - fine - dry/humid air - warm/hot - cold etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:31 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Ok, soozorps you've decided he wasn't ready to come out so you kept him in. I can't think why not do this and your results speak for themselves. Probably keeps things moist enough at that end not to stall the absorbing process.
Might be a case of so simple it's brilliant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:22 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Do I smile nice and big at my brilliance LOL or just own up to thinking:-

"Well sweety it's obvious you shouldn't be here yet so we have to stop you moving too much so you don't tear that yolk sack before you have been given a chance to absorb it."
I thought of how you look after babies [human] and how you wrap them and keep them warm etc, and applied it to this gosling. My main thought was to stop the legs moving too much. Hence I put her back in her shell feet first - amazingly she seemed to know not to move too much and lay snuggled in her 'blankie' until the yolk was fully absorbed.
But above all else was the thought of losing this little fighter who wanted to say hullo to the world too soon. And the kids constant "MUM you can't let her die" helped a lot too.

I stated 'DON'T recommend this at all" mainly for the infection concerns involved with the damp cloth regardless of the fact that you basically are 'shoving' a new bub back into it's shell - "if you can't sterilize it I don't recommend it" is what I should have said - maybe.

I told the kids "If she survives her name is going to be Lucky - as in Lucky to be alive" the rest is history - I wouldn't give up Lucky for anything - she is my baby above all the others - just don't tell them that LOL
So maybe I did have a stroke of genius - maybe just a stroke of desperation to get the kids off my back - who knows and who cares - it worked and I am forever grateful it did - coz Lucky is an absolute treasure :D [even if she does pull clothes off the line and can open the back screen door to get into the house :roll: :shock: :roll: ] :lol:

Therefore = I am so simple I am brilliant - [says soozorps taking a bow] :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:01 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

sorry as i said i am asking the question for my stepdad so i will go and ask these questions and post back later..but i do know they had hatched themselves,no one interfered with them at all

thanks for ur replies i will get back to you all soon so i can hopefully get more help

claire..