Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Help: Automatic thermostat is too low! **Long post**

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:09 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

We have just set up our incubator for the first time. It's a no-brand-name, octagonal-shaped, 60-chook egg, clear-lidded, fan-forced automatic thermostat incubator. (We bought it after seeing it advertised on the noticeboard here about 4 months ago). It also came with the digital thermometer.

When we first turned it on to test it, it reached the optimum temperature (was fluctuating between 37.4 - 37.8-ish, and stayed there for about 6 hours. It is placed on our kitchen breakfast bar, not in any drafts. In the morning it had dropped to 34 degrees. We put some bottles of water in for thermal mass and wrapped it in a couple of blankets (Taking care to avoid the hole labelled "Forbidden:Blowhole blocked" ! :roll: ) We tried moving the metal probe to different places inside but the temperature only raised a few degrees.

We bit the bullet and put eggs in it last night. We also have water bottles for thermal mass (with nails taped to the side to stop them rolling - thanks to a great bit of advice by rotten_66 in another thread). It's wrapped in 2 blankets but the temperature hasn't risen above 36.9 degrees. It is fluctuating between 36.3 and 36.9 and seems to be averaging roughly 36.5 degrees.

I have been googling madly trying to work out if we can adjust the thermostat on this machine but haven't had any luck.

Is it a problem with the incubator, or perhaps just with the digital probe? Has anyone else had this problem? :hmmm:

Thanks in advance. :chicks:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:20 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I have an identical incubator... for mine to reach 37.5 degree, the dial is pointing 35.5, so I think I have the opposite problem with yours.. mine is too hot..

But I took Denis advise and test the thermometer to made sure it is accurate, and use the thermometer as a guide for the temperature rather than what is written on the dial..

The dial on my incubator are now permanent fixed to the 35.5 degree position.. because I know it mean 37.5 for this particular thermostat...

The temperature will fluctuate every time you open the cover, or add water or even putting more eggs in will affect the temperature in the incubator, it will take a couple of hours for it to become optimum temperature again...

I have now remove the thermometer from the incubator so I will not be tempted by it to adjust the dial...

My last hatch... 5 hatched out of 5 fertile (quail) eggs.. 2 with curl toes, I think it was due to me playing with the temperature between the incubating period.. either too hot or too cold..

I have another 6 hatching this week end.. all developing nicely so finger cross, I will get a healthy hatch this batch :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:28 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks Jojo, that's actually quite a relief to read about your experience. Perhaps I need to do what you did and ignore the thermometer. :lol: I need to trust the manufacturer. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:54 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I wouldn't trust the manufacturer. I'd trust the thermometer reading after you've checked it against something reliable like a medical thermometer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:06 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

yes.. second C07..

I have remove my thermometer AFTER I am happy the incubator are operating on 37.5 degree.

I test the thermometer against the medical thermometer... than adjust the thermostat until the thermometer read 37.5 degree for 12 hours (without doing anything to the incubator at that time).. So I am now confident.. 35.5 on my thermostat is actually 37.5... than I remove the thermometer.. and the dial has been fixed PERMANENTLY on that spot :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:09 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Dont forget that when you first put eggs in that it is going to take twenty four hours or so for the eggs to come up to temperature. This causes a drop in incubator temperature and its quite normal. Dont try to compensate for this drop in temperature until the eggs are up to 37 degrees. Then make any adjustments based on what the others in this thread have advised.

Dont be trapped into fiddling with the thermostat - its a recipe for failure.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:55 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Kezzle: Does your incubator have a dial or knob to alter the temperature setting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:55 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

No Denis, it has no knob or dial. It's supposed to be automatically set. That's why I wondered whether anyone else had had problems with the same incubator.

Jojo, I think our incubator must be a slightly different (inferior!) model to yours. Yours has a temperature dial, doesn't it? Ours doesn't and according to the instruction booklet: "All the parameters of this machine have been debugged and tested at the factory. The users can not debug any parameter, for any change or modification on the operation may make the machine unworkable or cause loss to the users." There is no mention anywhere in the book about modifying the temperature manually.

It also says in the booklet that the machine has a "good reputation from the peasants in the rural area of eastern European countries." :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:18 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Kezzle wrote:
It also says in the booklet that the machine has a "good reputation from the peasants in the rural area of eastern European countries." :lol: :lol:

What about the peasants in the rural area of Australia?. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:53 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

LOL Haan, it's such a ringing endorsement for the product, eh? :rofl: