Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - energy saving lightbulbs

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: energy saving lightbulbs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:37 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi all,

Went to buy some 60watt lightbulbs for my lamp I use for new chicks the other day and found out that it is now illegal for shops to sell normal light bulbs, they can only sell the energy saving ones. I am guessing that these ones do not produce the heat needed for new chicks, anyone else come across this problem? Any suggestions for alternatives?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:45 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Petshops sell reptile lights in different wattages these are both heat and light.Or you need to go ceramic. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:05 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Be very careful with ceramic heatlamps... They get extremely hot and must be mounted in a ceramic ES lamp holder or you WILL start a fire...

A 14w compact fluro lamp will generate a suprising amount of heat and if you can mount them horizontally and low in the brooder and in banks of 4, then they'll serve you well and have (generally speaking) a much longer lamp life (6000hrs)...

Nath..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:16 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Infra red lights do very well. Expensive at around $14 but they seem to last okay, as long as you don't let them get covered in dust.
You should still be able to buy party globes, incandescents with unusual shapes or colours... If you get a lamp base with a screw-in socket you should have options.

As for the fluoro globes, I've changed more of them due to failure than I ever changed incandescents... I'm not sure if it's the brand but mine certainly aren't living up to expectation. And then there's the mercury vapour if they pop... Such a thoughtless shift if you ask me (most people won't dispose of them properly). :|

Sorry, bit of a rant... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:44 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I've had the same experience with fluoro globes, with one brand. Have had more luck with the more expensive variety.

I have a ceramic heat bulb (from a reptile shop). It does get pretty hot, as it should, but I haven't had any need to cover it with anything protective (but it's a good idea, especially with high wattage ones). Cost me about $90 for the bulb and a lead with socket. I think it is 100 watt. I know that that is not cheap but it'll last a very long time. One other good thing is that chicks get a normal night and day, rather than having the light on all the time. Plus, there is virtually no risk of it shattering. I got it here http://www.reptilesinc.com.au/shopshow.toy?animalnid=733921&categorynid=30355

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:54 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

As a reptile keeper i have ceremic and the colour heat globes and i prefer the coloured ones because i can see if they are working without having to open the enclosure.
They come in a wide variety of wattages and a couple of colours, i tend to use the blue/purple ones as they give a nice soft light.
The ceremic globed need to be in a ceremic socket or your running a huge risk of a fire.
They do last a LONG time though.
you can also buy wire globe covers to stop the animals burning themselves.
Hope this helps HH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:30 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Thanks all. Guess I won't get away with only spending $2 on 2 cheap light bulbs any more! The silly thing about the normal bulbs being banned is that shops have to dispose of all their stock which seems a waste and bad for the environment!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:40 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

The shops were allowed to sell out stock.
Ceramic heaters can be much cheaper on E-Bay. I have used them in ceramic holders, controlled by thermostats for more than 5 years ,only had one fail.
I have my light source, a compact fluro, running off a time switch.
David