Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Candled eggs for the first time !!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:36 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Well after all my heartbreak with my chooks recently (especially my Thumbelina) I decided I wasn't going to breed my lovely new buff silkie rooster.
My boy has taken a particular liking to my mealy gold pekin. It got me thinking they would make some lovely babies. So against my better judgement, I collected 5 eggs from my pretty pekin and placed them under a broody.
I ordered a candling torch and checked them 8 days after putting them under my broody.
OMG what an amazing experience to do an ultrasound on an egg !!
All 5 eggs appear fertile. Definite veins and something going on inside the shell.
I knew my boy was a bit of a stud.
A part of me is so excited but I'm also terrified, thinking 'what have I done?' Its so hard not to get too attached when I raise them from babies.
My chook obsession clouds my logic at times.

Just a question...I have another broody. If I put a couple of these fertile eggs under her would I be risking the fertility by the change in body temperature of a different hen? Or moving the eggs to another nest etc.
Or should I just leave all 5 under my pekin in the event some of them don't hatch? so she isnt left with nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:55 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

It's exciting to see good development in those eggs :)

You can do either - give the second hen a couple of eggs or leave them all with the first hen. Might be good to 'put your eggs in multiple baskets' though and give the second hen two eggs. :) It won't hurt the eggs to move a couple. Wait till Hen 2 has been sitting firmly for a week then move the eggs at night, protecting them as you go from any pecks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:02 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Excited for you LMG , its such an amazing thing to see the new life begin in an egg...best wishes for a wonderful experience for you :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:30 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Thank you both for your comments. Yes it was really amazing to see the development. But what makes it even more exciting is the fertile eggs didn't come in the post or were given to me, they came from my very own roo and pekin.
They are both good looking so I'm hoping they don't have ugly babies :-D
Thanks 70%cocoa for your advice. I have a silkie who has been broody on and off for over a year. She didn't get to raise any babies with the others last year and she kept babysitting everyone else's chicks. I have felt sorry for her because she never got to have any. She is very broody now and has been for a week. I was tossing up whether to put her in a sin bin or give her a couple of these eggs. I was worried that a different body temperature of a different hen half way through hatching might affect the fertility of the eggs.
I was also concerned about giving her only 2 eggs if they don't hatch.
I did have 7 eggs in total under my pekin but 2 of the eggs were from another roo and hen and they weren't fertile.
So here goes, if you think its perfectly safe for the eggs I will put a couple under my black silkie Olive. She is going to be soooooooo happy !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:25 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi There "Love My Girls"
I cannot comprehend how exciting this must be for you...
I have always felt "Out of every negative - comes a positive"
YES it is amazing to see how those little embryo's develop...
I know when I lost my "Fat Albert" (re: Who was your favourite birdie in your pens) I was a basket case.
I hope that another Thumbelina makes a another return into your life...
(Sounds weird I guess)
But I have another "Fat Albert Junior" in my new hatch along with his 6 month old son...
Enjoy your chicks as it sounds like it is all going well... :yess
No you are just a caring soul who should be excited at the prospect of hatching, it is never boring and always brings the Maternal instinct out in us girls. :hug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:33 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I think they'll make beautiful babies. :-)
Isn't it sooo exciting the first time you see evidence that your very own chooks are making babies.
It's hard not to keep hatching more once you've started, it is certainly addictive. Doesn't matter how many times I hatch chickens, I still get all squeaky on hatching day. :laughing
Good idea giving some to Olive. She's going to be delighted all her effort finally paid off, I bet she'll be a wonderful surrogate mother.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:01 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Well the fertile eggs are due to hatch this Sunday. I sooooo cant wait.
Olive is already making mummy noises (as well as broody noises) and my pekin is hanging in there and was making noises like she was feeding babies! So my 2 girls are as excited as I am.
This is a photo of Goldie, who I bred with my roo. I will take a recent photo of him and download it too.
I'm so curious to see what the combination of these two will hatch. Hopefully they WILL hatch...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:06 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi There
She is gorgeous and I am sure she will cover a few "Fluff Buttons" very nicely...
Let us know how you get on...
Heather

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:55 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I was expecting the eggs to hatch tomorrow and 4 chicks hatched earlier today ! There is only 1 egg that hasn't hatched yet but its cracked so a chick is trying to get out. I hope it makes it.
I will post pics of the chicks they are soooooo adorable. I cant believe the diversity of colours when they all had the same parents. At least I think they did. Time will give me the answer to that.
There is a yellow one with black markings, a beautiful gold/peach coloured one, a blue/grey and a black.
Suprisingly Olive (my silkie) hasn't had made transition to mum yet, perhaps she's still waiting for the other egg to hatch? Yet my first time mum pekin (who is usually a nasty girl) has taken to motherhood like an absolute dream. I'm so proud of her.
I will download pics when I get a bit more time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:17 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Congratulations "Love My Girls"
At the end of the day it so doesn't matter that they aren't "show stock" If you are happy with your chicks and they give you joy that is all that matter's
I had a broodie ( second time Mum) that still had no idea that she has to look after her chicks and so I took them off her albeit 4 of the biggest (they are fine).
The others are in my office in a brooder box, spread out under the lamp like little flat lizards, happy, content and I know that they will be looked after.
As far as I am concerned if an owner, breeder is doing the right thing it is all that matters...
I think that if we are doing the right thing and looking after our babies that is all that matters...
I have a mix of Purebred Large Black Australorps, Large Blue Orpingtons, and some from "my favourite girls and "Blind Freddie" (My one eyed Coronation Sussex roo' which I love and produces gorgeous chicks) and I am happy that they are safe and healthy so that is all that matters...
Enjoy your chicks and I too will get some pics happening..
ENJOY :clnava :clnava :clnava

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:31 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Unfortunately the 5th chick didn't make it out of the egg it only got as far as cracking it.
But 4 out of 5 hatched and I couldn't be happier with my first time breeding my own chooks.
I have 2 GORGEOUS light coloured chicks that take after their mummy and 2 dark coloured chicks (with dark skin and 5 toes) that take after daddy. How perfect is that !!
They are truly adorable. One of the chicks appears to be blue. I'm rapt. Although I have no idea how the colour of the parents created blue. I'm sure its a boy though because its comb is much bigger than the others and its a big fatty porky piggy :-D

(I'm trying to download photos ... computer isn't co operating with me at the moment)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:33 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:35 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

This one is so cute it looks like its wearing black eyeliner ..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:37 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Hard to tell in the photo but this one is a beautiful gold/peach colour.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:40 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

This isn't the 'real' mummy but its kind of appropriate she's raising the babies the same colour as her :-D