Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Trouble at vent

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble at vent
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:56 am 

Hi,

I am new to the forum and new to keeping chicken and quail. I have already hatched 2 rhode island red chickens and 5 quail, using partly a home made incubator and partly a commercial round green eco incubator.

My question is regarding a second lot of chickens. The first egg to hatch the chick looks perfect, but the second was stuck in its shell. I helped it out after 6 hours when the membrane looked like it was drying out. There were some remains of yoke and the anus/vent was sticking out and bloody. I culled it. The third chick did manage to hatch on its own but it also has a sticking out vent. Will this retract where it belongs or will the chick die? Can anyone tell me the reason why? I have another 5 eggs in this batch.

Regards, Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:36 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Six hours is by no means a long time between when the chick pips (first little hole) and when he hatches. There is still a bit to happen between when they pip and when they hatch. As you found most of it is happening at the rear end, it draws the yolk into the abdomen.

What you describe with the first chick just sounds as if you intervened a bit too soon. I've been there done that. The big thing is the membranes etc. around the yolk and rear end will dry out and it will stop the chick drawing in th yolk so he dies. Someone recently on this forum salvalged such an occurance by keeping everything moist.

The membranes do dry out, and blood stops flowing in the membranes vessels. If you are helping a chick ou and you see blood then stop. This means that that part of membrane still has blood flowing in it.

You will see references to chicks unable to free themselves but usually this is because membranes are stuck like sticky tape to chicks head shoulder area.
The second chick may be alright. I'm guessing here that what you are seeing is a swollen rear end, as if the yolk was pushing from inside. If so that is pretty normal. If whatever is sticking out is a bit like an umbilical cord you can just cut it.
The yolk that must be absorbed into the abdo looks like a normal yolk or part of, still in its bag. Other bits and pieces of yellow stuff isn't anything to worry about.
If you must help chicks out, observe the no blood rule and just open the enough to get his head and shoulders free. Let him do the rest, when he's ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:59 am 

Thank you for the reply, I probably interviened much too soon because I had a couple of quail chicks die in their shells last week after they had pipped. Out of 12 I only got 5 and I think it should have been 8. The shell fell off around a large area and the membrane went like leather.

What I am seeing is something I would call a hernia about the size of a pea, and it could very well be the yoke sack. It is on two of the 3 chicks.

I have increased the humidity in the hatcher, but can't seem to get it any higher than 60%, and am waiting with everything crossed.

Regards, Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:30 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

i had a coupol that was like this but the bit dryed up and fell of so i don't think about it. it be fine. they lay eggs. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:04 pm 

Hi,

First of all, thank you for all the replies. The chicks both seem to be doing well. The one with the hernia still has it but, if the mess is anything to go by, the vent is working.

My home has been upsidedown for more than a week as I've been having a new kitchen fitted. My incubators have been moved around for room to room, and during that time it seems the temperature wandered downwards by about a degree F. Which could explain the low hatch rate and subsequent problems. I cannot seem to up the humidity beyond 55%-60%, it is a green round ecostat, so I am in the process of building a new one with heat assisted evapouration and outside fillable water tanks. I will post all the improvements and photos once it has all been proved along with any circuits I use and design.

Regards, Terry