Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Candling - for flipflop

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Candling - for flipflop
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:06 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Hi flipflop,

I found 39 threads about candling eggs in this Incubation and rearing sub-forum, alone just using the Search facility at top of the page and candling+eggs. Some will repeat pictures but the practical hints and experiences of different people are always interesting. For example, a couple are:

viewto ... t=candling

viewto ... dling+eggs

If I can see the difference between infertile and fertile eggs, I'm happy. The first lot of eggs I ever tried to candle were dark-shelled (Barnevelder
) eggs and I couldn't see anything at all! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:15 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Not sure if this link has already been posted but it is very helpful:
http://www.homestead.com/shilala/candling.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:51 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

I candle once a week and I load the incubator once a week. Which means I have a constantly rotation of eggs from start to hatch. Yes I do clean it.

My candling equipment is terribly complex. Its just simply a wine cask box - the one with tap hole about the same size as a 20 cent piece. I insert a reading lamp with a 100 watt bulb into the box. I then wait until after dark, switch off the lights in the room and switch on the lamp in the wine cask box.

Each egg is held in the tap hole with the blunt end of the egg down. Regardless of the colour and thickness of the shell you can clearly see the air space and it only takes a couple of eggs to see the difference between a fertile egg and an infertile one. There is not much point in trying to candle eggs in under seven days though (except for curiousity).

With some experience you can become very good at it and can learn to tell the difference between fertile eggs and those that have a bad outcome such as infertile ones and ones that have died along the way.

Its not hard - just give it a go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:01 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

cheers guys it sound's pretty simple and i was about to give it ago until they hatched this morning!lol so i guess ill have to wait till next time cause i only have the one female muzzy! it would of been great if she had laid her egg's earlyier so i had more time to study up as im not working at the min (waiting on my resisdencey visa,im from the uk) but oh well nows better than never i guess!