Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - PROBLEM WITH MY INCUBATOR THERMOSTAT.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:10 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Last week it blew a fuse & lost temperature for a day.
Replaced the fuse & all was well & hatched 3 chicks that were due last Sat with no probs.
On Sun night I had 9 eggs due to hatch next Sat, 8 the Sun after & just put in another 7 + 16 jap eggs thanks to Pam.
An hour later I went & checked & noticed the temperature was at 103F & rising. When I turned the thermostat down, nothing happened.
It is 1 they use on the IM incubators, I had a spare 1 but this was different, its a Top Hatch. When I opened them both up they were different, so I didnt know how to wire it up.
The 1st thing I did was take the eggs that I put in an hour befere, out.
I had a broody hen that layed her eggs in the box I lock her rooster in at night. I have been trying to break her broodynes for the past 2 weeks.
With the box closed she just sits on top.
I took the 9 eggs due to hatch next Sat, moved the hen, oppened the rooster box, put the eggs in & put the hen on top. She was still on them the next day.
With the last 8 eggs, I left them in but removed 2 of the lights, which kept the temp at about 94F all night & yesterday till 2.30pm when my mate, an electrition , came over & wired up the spare thermostat.
Last night, all the eggs went back in & the thermostat goes back to Multiquip for warinty tomorrow.
I will just have to wait & see how the eggs go.
Regards
Mario

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:40 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

all these dramas with a dodgy part eh! all this time you have to spend keeping all your valuable eggies happy! :D
i have now got an expensive electronic temperature gauge in my Bellsouth that is checking up on the little supplied... i was starting to doubt things myself... but ive been impressed at how well the temp stabilizes.
hope your hatch works out for you!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:45 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

The thermostat ran for 6 months last season without a prob. Set it once & it kept the temp within .1deg F. It started the same the last 6 or so weeks, till last Sunday. I took it back to multiquip today & they are going to repair it.
I just candled a few of the eggs that are due on Sat & there is movement in the eggs, so all might be fine for that lot. Just have to wait to see about the others.
Regards
Mario

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:45 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

anyone got any ideas on this.. its troubling me today!!
my little thermometre thingy that came with the Bellsouth reads 103 degrees. ,y electronic super duper one at the same height and spot almost reads 100!!
what do i do??????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:25 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Mario the eggs will still hopefully hatch as long as temp doesnt go over 103 for a long period of time . I always set my incubator on 102 , chickens just seem to hatch a day latter.One night the incubator turn itself off, the next morning the eggs were cold , I got it going again even after no heat for 9 hours the eggs still hatched , it tell u how strong a chicken can be . minorca 5

Post subject: Worries!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:15 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

That story sounds worrying. I accidently dripped water onto the thermometer in my Bellsouth 100 which then gave an incorrect temp reading. Not realising what I had done, I turned the incubator up and left it at 104 for nine hours overnight. In the morning I realised it couldn't be right and thought I had killed them all. When we candled them, it appears that two thirds of them survived fine. It's amazing. Of course, I won't count my chickens until they hatch!