Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Useing a pie warmer for a incubator

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:54 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Turn your oven on very low and then take a shelf out with your hand.
The metal shelves DID get a lot hotter as they store the heat.
A fan might fix this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:05 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Keep your hand in in the oven and it will get every bit as hot as the shelf appears to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:11 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Hi all,

Thank you all for your input into this task.

As for the original element I have removed it (carefully, so I still have) I was going to use two light bulbs as a heat sorce. Also adding the 100mm fan and the bulbs to the back wall. I have removed the two sliding glass doors at the back of the warmer and was replaceing it with a full sheet of 3mm plywood and have this screwd into place. This is where I can connect all power devises so it will not be any trouble in shorting out and making my hair any more curly LOL.

I will take a photo of the warmer later as it is now so you can see where I will start.

Polish Poodles, "Games" Aussie, English, Indian (Dark & Jubilee), Araucana, Minorca, Faverolle, hamburg, Sindian, RIR, Isa Brown, Pekin, Bantams, Guinea fowl Rare breeds I like to eat Asil, Buttercup, Sumatra, Maran and many more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I would think the only problem with using the metal shelves as egg racks is that there may be a heat concentration where the shell touches the metal ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:32 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Here is another question !
Can these new bulbs today (Energy saving coil type) do they produce the same amount of heat then the old bulb type? (Incandecent light globe)

Polish Poodles, "Games" Aussie, English, Indian (Dark & Jubilee), Araucana, Minorca, Faverolle, hamburg, Sindian, RIR, Isa Brown, Pekin, Bantams, Guinea fowl Rare breeds I like to eat Asil, Buttercup, Sumatra, Maran and many more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:30 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

nope that is why they are energy saving! they do not lose as much energy as radiant heat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:22 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

They aren't all that suitable for incubators because they only put out about 20% as much energy as the standard incandescent they are replacing.

With an incubator all the energy put out by a standard globe is useful for heating. For lighting, only the energy in the visible spectrum is useful.

Light and what is commonly referred to as radiant heat are the same thing, just different wavelengths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:51 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Which position on the best way to hatch the eggs in the incubator?
Vertical
Horizontal
The pointy end facing downwards (opposite way in an egg cup)

I have decided to put the egg tray on a louver design. Each few hours I can change the position of the tray by turning it from the outside of the box. I have noticed Denis has made a few of these designs on a 45 degree angle. I do not know if this is a better way to incubate the eggs this way but it seems like the best way to do it and there is less time in handling the eggs doing it this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:05 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Are we talking incubating or actually hatching. ???

You can incubate them anyway you like as long as they get rotated.

But for hatching - stop turning the eggs three days before they are due to hatch. Place them so they lie on their side, just as they would under a hen. They kick themselves out of the egg sideways.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:38 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

It is all about moving the egg so that the embryo, (which tends to float very slowly to the top), is moved into fresh pastures within the egg thus getting a richer supply of nutrients. Also if the embryo doesn't move it will end up adhering to the side of the egg and die.
If the egg isn't on it's side it needs to be fat end higher than the pointy end.

That's pretty much all you need to know, if your design acheives this it will work.

The fresh pastures analogy is deliberate. I sat down with a small glass jar (egg) and a texta, imagined the nutrients (eggwhite) as growing grass and worked out how to keep my cows (embryo) on the longest grass at all times.
I ended up with something that does work and does suit me (I can physically build it and power it).

I'm not avoiding your question, do the exercise above and you will know as much as I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:49 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Thanks Denis,
That does answer my question though and that is a brilliant way to explain my question I was asking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:16 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

The pie warmer uncomplete
Just need to wire the system and make the egg tray.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:38 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Nice pic. :D

Cant wait to see real chicks in there.

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

Post subject: Heating source
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:12 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

For all those looking at building your own incubator,I suggest you look into heating elements as the Australian Govt has already started the phase out of the manufacture,importation & sales of incandescent lamps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:51 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Making a incubator on a budget

I was at the recycled refuge (town dump) and I spotted a pie warmer and right beside that was a 9 inch fan in a wire framework around it. The wire frame around the fan would be ideal as it will be safe for the chickens in the Bator for the first 24 hours. While I was there I bought two round ceiling lights and one electric cord with a 3 pin plug and a piece of 3mm plywood all costing $15.

Warning - I would strongly advise anyone attempting to install any electric appliance to hold a licence to do so.

The pie warmer was fully working and I pulled all the parts from it including the rear two glass doors and replaced the doors with a sheet of plywood. On the plywood I fitted the two light fittings so I could plug them into a thermostat (you can buy these thermostats on eBay for around $60)
I cut a hole in the middle of the plywood and installed the fan which runs all the time, The fan has its own separate power lead. This fan is too large, would be better to install a smaller fan, a 3 inch fan would be better. The air does not need to move that much even tho I have the 9inch fan set at the slowest speed. It is doing the job fine so I will not replace as yet. I also replaced the bottom of the pie warmer with a piece of plywood to help seal the heat in. As there is enough gaps in the doors, there is just enough ventilation. I sealed all around the both pieces of plywood, around the fan and wires that were protruding through the plywood.

There is a water tray on the bottom of the pie warmer which holds 2 litres of water for humidity, needing to be filled about 3 times within the 21 days of incubation. I really should have another light over the water tray to create more humidity on the 18th day, but it is working ok for now.

The temp on the Bator runs between 95f up to 102.5f and the humidity stayed around 50%. It loses lots of heat from the front glass sliding doors because of the gaps.

I start with the first set of eggs which went into the Bator, 8 Isa brown eggs and I hatched 5 chickens from that batch. Two eggs were not fertile and I opened one egg without it pipping so I was too hesitant with that last egg, I should have left it alone to take its own course. I was rolling the eggs side to side and moving them in different positions 3 to 5 times a day.

On the 18th day I remove all the eggs and turn the tray upside down so it has a flat surface.

The second batch in the Bator was with 24 eggs to do another test. Having more eggs in the Bator I though might stabilise the temp. But I rolled the eggs end over end and did not change their positions within the Bator. I had noticed that there are cool and hot spots in this Bator so if I had moved all the eggs in a different position each time I would have had a better success rate in hatching the eggs. This batch I only hatched 6 chickens. Yes 6 eggs were not fertile and the others had died within the last week of hatching. May be it was because I did not rotate the eggs into different positions.

The third batch is almost finish I had 17 eggs in the Bator this time I have Araucana bantam and Pekin eggs. I have moved the eggs into different positions and rolled them side to side, not end over end like I did in the second batch. So far I have lost 5 eggs as not being fertile and I have hatched 7 Araucana`s and two Pekins, I still have a few to hatch.

Yes this pie warmer Bator is working ok and from others I have heard from are saying I have had a very good outcome with it. But I have had to manually turn each egg for the first 18 days (turning the eggs every 3 hours, not moving them between 11pm to 7am) then on the 18th day moving the eggs into different position but not rolling them. I have had lots of fun and learnt a lot doing it my way and experimenting.

I hope I have encouraged others to build their own incubator on a budget. It would be great to hear from others who have attempted to build their own.

If you need more information on my Bator I will be happy to do so.

Cheers,
Kowan

Last edited by kowan on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.