Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - humidity

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: humidity
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:48 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

What is the 'ideal' humidity for a hatch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:51 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

ask 10 people and you will get 11 opinions. ;)

i breed with a humidity aof 45-55% and i do not raise it up to 80% at the end. and it works since 3 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:24 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Godfather wrote:
ask 10 people and you will get 11 opinions. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: I reckon so!

I usually keep it around the 40% mark during incubation and up to 60%-70% for hatching if i can. (very dry here as you know) Once i sorted the humidity out my hatch rate improved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:27 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I go for 45% during the incubation and up to 70% for the hatch.

NellyG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:45 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

It's actually all about the egg losing the required amount of water during the 21 days etc. Humidity is only one of the factors that affect the rate of moisture loss from the egg. It may not even be the most important one in moisture loss but is certainly the one of most interest to us because it is one factor we can vary and thus excercise some control over the moisture loss.

If you want to be serious about it then you need to be weighing your eggs every few days throughout the hatch in order to acheive the 15% weight loss (don't quote me on the 15%, you'll need to look it up). Raise or lower your humidity to acheive an average the correct average weight loss and you will work out which is best for your eggs, your incubator and your climatic conditions and your hygrometer.

Having said that, you usually vary your humidity by varying the size of your water container, number of channels you fill etc.etc. It would make more sense to graph weight loss vs the water container size.

There are some web sites that explain how you weigh and graph the eggs and it is probably something you should only need to do once or twice, by then you will have worked out the humidity that is best for you.

If you are going to the trouble of reading a scientific instrument you should at least do it with some method to your madness.

If you don't want to go the trouble of weighing your eggs it is better to try different size water dishes until you find a size that works.

For the record I get my best results at around RH= 30% but so far the only one who seems to agree with me is an older chap who lives in Bendigo :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:55 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

that's what i menat. 10 people 11 opinions. :lol:

My hamburghs were 26/26 in january '07 and 37/39 in '08

and all other breeds were ~82% hatching with ~47% RH

i think it's more important how you feed the parents. because no hen always has exactly 37,8° and let's say 50% RH under her.

she stands up, sits down, at some days there is rain at other days the sun shines and you have 40° air temp.....etc. in '06 i had 20% RH for 11 days cuz i was on vacation and nobody saw ist.... and? 30/33....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:18 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Thanks for the feedback. Because of the incubator I got there is no guessing, and water dish sizes don't come in to play, I wanted to know what to actually set it at. The handbook says 40-50% so I choose 40%. Then I got worried and raised it to 45% as most people seem to have it higher. Think I will leave it there.
The temp in the book also said 37.5 and most here seem to say 37.7? I split the difference and did 37.6 :roll: :wink: :? .
See how this first hatch goes. Hope the fertility is ok, I know it can be dodgy this time of year. Will have a look at them about Wednesday I figure.
Would love to here anymore feedback. In a whole new world here and pretty excited about the first hatch and already thinking about the second with so many hens coming back into lay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:43 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Coops
I am at about the same lattitude (in Gulgong) as you but at 600m above sea level.

My incubator is fan forced and it uses water fairly quickly. About every two days I have to top up the water.

I have never used a hydrometer of any sort.

I do, however, have eggs at varying stages of incubation as I set eggs every friday. After discarding infertile eggs at about a week of incubation, I regularly get 85% hatch rate and sometimes as high as 100%. I mist the eggs due to hatch with a hand mister.

As pointed out elsewhere, the humidity levels vary enormously over Australia and are vastly different from the US and Europe. I would follow what the manufacturer says and make decisions based on the hatch rates.

If start to get dead in the shell eggs then it may be that the humidity is too high. It may be many other things too. If you start to get chickens that pip and dont hatch it may be that the final humidity is too low but again, there are other factors as well.

Every incubator varies in performance based on where it is situated. They only way to sort it is over time and by making subjective decisions and adjustments based on the hatch rates and the viability of the chickens.

Hope that helps. All of us are always willing to make suggestions as issues arise.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:55 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

That should be fine, Coop. As previously said, its better to follow the instructions for your own bator as they can vary in the way they work.

If you can, try and find an incubation chart that shows the size of the air cell in the egg from start to finish. (They are on the net somewhere....i dont have one saved) This will help you determine if the eggs are losing moisture at the correct amount when you candle them.

You have a pretty swish bator....dont think you will have too many problems as long as they are fertile and healthy parents!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:10 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

I normally try to keep it about 50% until 3 days to go then about 70%. Just got a new incubator from Denis and i am trying the new lower humidity, 30-40% and i am going to leave it until the end. Only three out of the five have started to develop (may be due to time of year) but the silkie eggs i transferred across from my other incubator after one week have continued to develop and are due to hatch in the next couple of days. A bit nervous as i am normally bumping the humidity up now but i am going to give the incubator a chance to prove itself. Will let you know how it goes.
Sigrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:32 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Thanks, very interested Sigrid as I plan to fill nonfertile spots with new eggs. So have to be careful with humidity changes of to much extreme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:55 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

why change humidity at all?? anybody here who has ever put a hygrometer under a hen? if not, try it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:02 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

My last lot of eggs i ran at 40-50% then bumped it up to 70% i got 11/11, my best result. Just went off advice from people on here.
I often have eggs at different stages in the incubator (bad i know) but if the lower humidity the whole time works, it wont matter what stages the other eggs are at as the humidity will be constant. I am hoping it works.
Godfather, i would imagen it would be very difficult :shock:
Sigrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:36 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

no, i used a digital one. it was very interessting. neither temperature nore humidity was always exakt the same. but there were no big jumps.

temp betwen 37,4° and 37,9°, and humidity between 40% and 52%......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:28 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Well all five chicks have pipped so its crunch time for the lower humidity. I will let you know in the morining if they have hatched :D or died in shell :( . It is looking good so far.
Sigrid