Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How do I tell

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I tell
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

How do I tell if my silver laced wyandotte is a hen of a rooster it is about 14 weeks old also any other tips about telling the difference between Hens and roosters any younger would be great thanks.

Post subject: Re: How do I tell
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:23 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Hi

Lots of posts on this - faster feathering on females - more prominant combs and wattles etc. Its normally in the "Whats this" forum but not to worry. Post some photos and depending on what we see we will move it to the right forum if its necessary

Mike

Post subject: Re: How do I tell
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

This isn't a good shot but actually it's helpful because at 14 weeks or so, it's tail feathers (and stance- how it stands) that help. These guys are all about the same age and I _think_ they were about 13-15 weeks at the time.

The one on the left is a pullet. You can see the nice round feathers above the tail.

The other two are cockerels. You can see the pointy (sickle) feathers above the tail. On the one in the centre, you can see a green sheen starting in the tail itself.

Here's the pullet and one of the cockerels:

You can see she's sort of long and low and stocky, while the cockerel looks leggy and lanky.

There's lots more shots of these three here: http://sapientae.net.au/chooks/dottes/1/index.html

SLW1 is the pullet, while SLW 2 and 3 are the cockerels. By the end of all the photos, you should have your eye in. I certainly did after I'd uploaded the shots and compared notes with their owner (I don't breed Wyandottes, I just agist 'em :) ).

There's a few other Wyandottes there too. Feel free to practice on them. The shots are a good 4 weeks old now and the genders are all very clear now.