Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Make an incubator in 2 Hrs.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:22 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Would you sell your thermostats??? :?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:16 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Denis, again, you have shown why you are the reigning Incubator DIY gold medalist. 8)

Such a simple yet effective incubator. Well done.

Im sure Denis will tell you, as he told me when I built mine last year, its the thermostat that makes all the difference. But his design on this one is so well thought out. Dont be fooled by how easy it looks complete, Denis has thought this one through and used his experience.

I cant remember why i didnt buy a good one to start with, now I have a ripper.

Hats off mate.
Raf

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:54 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

well done and thanks for sharing your design and ideas in such detail.

cheers

Shani

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:52 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

OK, it's very late and I've just got back from work.

I think I have got my point across. To build an incubator doesn't require any special carpentary or engineering skills. If you think about it the alternative is often just a couple of pieces of polystyrene or plastics chosen for their cheapness to manufacture.

Some of the better & more expensive incubators are more of a challenge to match, but guys like Raf and chookmadhubby certainly inspire me with
their designs and ingenuity.

The sticking point with most people seems to be the wiring of lights and thermostats etc.
I can assure you that the wiring etc. is quite easy, a 10 minute job for a qualified electrician. :roll:

The issue of how to wiring diagrams on the forum has been discussed amongst mods and Andy. We have decided against having them. Our reasoning is pretty simple. We have no control over who would be reading them and they may not really understand them, only think they do .....

Someone could start a thread on thermostats and share their opinions on those they have used ...

Some/most thermostats you buy, you simply plug your light into. As easy as plugging an ordinary desk lamp into a power point.

You are always welcome to pm me and ask for advice on wiring. I do tend to ask you some questions to satisfy myself you are a sensible and responsible person though before i give any answers. Twice when I have asked these questions I have found out they are married to electricians ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:13 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

nice looking incubator :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:39 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Great incubator Denis & kind of you to share. I've wondered whilst reading threads on home made incubators, Are there other options for the heating element other than light globes?
If so, what are they & do they blow the cost out unessesarily?

Also , I'm trying to work out this bit...

The fan blows into the space where the lights are, pushing the warm air out through holes all along the incubator.

I couldn't see the holes you were talking about. Only the hole for the fan.
Is the fan blowing warm air onto the eggs or sucking air into where the heat source is & pushing it out through these holes I can't see??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:41 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Quote:
I couldn't see the holes you were talking about. Only the hole for the fan.
Is the fan blowing warm air onto the eggs or sucking air into where the heat source is & pushing it out through these holes I can't see??

I think the holes are on the white square bit that's holding the grill up - you can just see it on the first pic - the square section (conduits) is hollow I think are connected to the bulb section of the box so the air would be blown over the bulbs, through the white conduit into the main section under the grill and out through the holes along the conduit. Since hot air rises, the hot air will push out the colder air which then flows back through the fan opening and the process repeats itself.

chookstarter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:25 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

DOH :roll: I see it now. Thanks chookstarter. I can even see the light shining down the conduit.
BTW what is conduit?? :oops:
(My husband would be rolling HIS eyes if he knew I asked that

I thought it was round stuff electrical cables went in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:55 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Looks great mate, nice and simple but effective.
I would try to work out a way to do a manual turn from the out side, push a lever or rod and the eggs turn, next time pull it and they turn the other way.
Saves opening the lid and letting out the warm air (plus a lot quicker)
Regards
Trev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:40 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Quote:
BTW what is conduit??

I think conduit is usually the plastic tubing (technically I think they are round) that surrounds electrical wiring when you want to protect it - eg when you want to bury electrical cables, you surround it with conduit. Denis has used plastic channelling - the stuff that they use around the house to hide electrical wires/antennae wires/telephone lines etc - you will probably see it around your home - it's neater and hides ugly black wires/cables. I'm no electrician so I might have mixed up the 2 - sorry if I caused confusion.

:oops:
chookstarter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:04 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I have actually put two more of the channels in along the top of the sides.

What I have now is warm air definitely entering the incubator right along the sides. I can't see how that could be a bad thing.
It's not a terribly original idea, I would expect that really HUGE hatcheries would have to channel their warm air in a similar fashion. Lots of buildings etc do a similar thing.
Just bear in mind that I did make an almost identical incubator for my nephew, it doesn't have the channel just the fan blowing over the eggs and two holes on the board for the returning air. It works perfectly well.

How the channelling came about is, with the first one I just used 40mmx20mm pine as the shelf support. I thought 50mm would be a better height and I have used this stuff before as a shelf and to run wires through when I have used alight and fan at either end.

I won't put any turning mechanism in this one, I'm in a "safe for kids" mode at the moment. My six year old girl prefers to turn by hand.

I have done rollers before, they are pretty easy to make. Some 8 or 10mm aluminium tube, long straight stiff wire (cut from pretty much the same stuff as the tray in this incubator). You centre the wire in the tube using spaghetti which is the stuff they put in brick walls to allow you to put a screw in.

I like the idea of a picture frame as a window. If you are not using the backing cardboard etc in the picture should enough room to go doubled glazed ... :)

I will put a window in this incubator. It will of course be a circular window. I can't cut neat squares or rectangles but I have a router that cuts perfect circles. If I've learnt anything about making stuff, it is how to cheat. :wink:

Basically I just cut a circle out, then under the hole I put a square piece of perspex or thick glass. If it's perspex I just screw it there, if it is thick glass it has come from the recovery centre (tip). Thick glass I hold in place with small mirror corners and doulbe sided tape (industrial).
The circle I cut out I usually keep. I cut another larger circle out of 3mm MDF and glue them two together. This then becomes a lid or cover for the hole I have cut. Sometimes I don't bother with glass or perspex and just use the hole for quick and easy access. You don't have to open the whole lid to turn the eggs then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:04 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

This is how it finished up. Just a bit of painting to do now.

How I do the windows. Probably won't put a glass in this one and leave the hole for easy access. At hatching time if kids are about I just sit a a heavy piece of glass on top.

inside it now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:56 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I can't remember you mentioning this - what sort of paint did you use Denis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:50 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I use whatever, but always a water based acrylic. This one is Solarguard or some outside paint that doesn't need an undercoat.
I haven't actually painted it as such, I painted some of the boards before I started, with a spray gun.
I think I might make a semi-auto turn arrangement for this one. A push-pull rack that rolls the eggs. If I can find some more of the same stuff I made the shelf out of it will be really easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:35 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Denis would you consider making and selling one to a stupid women that can't build to save her life...and the male in the house can't either.....please...please....please....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next