Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Make an incubator in 2 Hrs.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:42 am 
Swan
Swan

i just worked out what i could draw in my graphics assessment task becuase i have been doing stuff to do with poultry. i will draw a Incubator.

Post subject: hey
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:27 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

omg fantastic idea im a student doing HSC not doing to well either but with most of my time consumed with study theres not much time to earm money
so making an incubator would drop the cost so much more money to buy more chooks
look its been asked a couple of times and i think uve missed it but would u consider selling the thermostat piece plus whatever u need to run it on ur computer and instructions on how to wire it
also would u consider selling the whole unit as im sure it would be cheaper to buy than one from a company and probably much more reliable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:02 am 
Swan
Swan

Denis what is the little orange think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:32 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Quote:

I think that's the thermostat sensor - picks up the temperature at that point.

chookstarter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:34 am 
Swan
Swan

chookstarter wrote:
Quote:

I think that's the thermostat sensor - picks up the temperature at that point.

chookstarter

thanks i wouldnt mind making one of these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Great thread. It's added to the stuff already going round my head...in a good way.

I especially liked the cord shielding stuff (called conduit by some) which distributes the warm air more evenly.

Rather than say, "Did you think of...?" "What if you...?" it's up to US to think of what we can do to adapt your ideas to our situation.

One example is that rather than fridge racks, I might continue to use mouse/snake mesh, or even aviary mesh. To keep it from sagging, it would need some supports. Supports would block the air flow...except...

I could use that same shielding stuff (or similar) for the support and have the warm air flowing through and out of them as well. :idea:

Thanks for getting us thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:09 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

The Idea behind these posts of Denis, mine and all the others that show their home made incubators is to feed your creative juices! Look at the pics ask questions, adapt the ideas to suit your ability, needs and budget.
At the end of it all it is about trying your ideas to see if they work. If they dont work, learn from it and try again.
Also dont be afraid to learn new skills, be it working with wood, metal or electronics like me.
Most important thing is you did it yourself!!!
Regards
Trev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:07 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

first I did it to save money. Don't think I achieved that but then I got tremendous satisfaction in seeing me first chick hatch. Then I tweaked things and tested with a hatch or two. Now very satisfied with end result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:01 pm 
Swan
Swan

denis would you be able to tell me with the wireing for the blubs and the fan, i know the blubs May need to be earth, what about getting the power down to run the van and allso to keep the temp at the proper thing how do i do it with an inucbator like this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:47 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

No, I most definitely will not.
Don't take it personally because you are nice guy, but I don't think you are up to doing it witout responsible adult supervision.
Save up your money for an incubator or perhaps talk to an electrician about how he might help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:49 am 
Swan
Swan

so your saying my parents are responsible, i am able to use a tractor which is a pretty dangerious thing when you get a slasher on the back. Also i know how to solder wires togthere, and i do Circuts in class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:46 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

veg gardener wrote:
so your saying my parents are responsible, i am able to use a tractor which is a pretty dangerious thing when you get a slasher on the back. Also i know how to solder wires togthere, and i do Circuts in class.

Ben - I am a little appalled that you were on the verge of tossing a tantrum here. It would be legally and morally irresponsible for Denis to publish wiring diagrams using potentially fatal 240 volt power.

A doctor would never publish instructions over the net on how to do open heart surgery. Neither should any other professional such as an electrician or an electronic engineer publish details that could endanger life.

If your studying circuitry at school then your teacher should be able help you safely wire your project up when the time comes.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:27 pm 
Swan
Swan

thats why he said this responsible adult supervision. he doesnt even no my parents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:54 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Ben - Please
Just leave it !! - its not going to go anywhere - just leave it.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:01 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

veg gardener

A few tips;

-All electrical componentry including metal cabinet (bar fridge) need to earthed for safety reasons.
-The fan needs to be on all the time while incubating.
-The thermostat controls power to the heating source.

By law a licenced electrician is the only person who should complete the wiring.

good luck

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next