Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Make an incubator in 2 Hrs.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:53 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Getting back on track a bit :wink: one thing worth mentioning to those who make DIY bators, if you choose MDF to make your bator casing out of, make sure you seal it properly. In the last few days when you up the humidity and there is water literally dripping off everything you don't want your MDF getting wet! I just finished my next DIY bator this afternoon (well.... almost finished... need to fine tune the egg turner I made... real pleased with this concept too 8) ) and have decided to make the case out of plastic coated chipboard (melamine) from an old recycled ikea wardrobe. I've cut and screwed the thing together and will now silicone up the corners to make it water proof... like a fishtank. I had a problem with mould on one bator I made so painted it with mould inhibiting paint... prob was the fumes were so strong I think it fumigated the eggs as the temp. rose :roll: I still need to seal the cut ends of the chipboard but am not so worried about these as they're on the outside of the bator.

With the fans... they don't need to be on all the time. In fact, this was a turning point for me and DIY bators. I made a bator last year and was experiencing difficulty gettings the humidity up and Denis recommended connecting the fan up to the thermostat as well. I did this and hey presto... my lastest bator that's currently working on about 30 eggs has this setup as well, second time round, and when I use my own eggs (as opposed to mail-order eggs of unknown condition/fertility) I have always got 100% hatch with it including ducks eggs this time 8)

On the above 'flare-up'.... Ben... the real important thing to remember is that there is always more than one way to skin a cat. You can make your whole bator without having to wire up a thing if you think about it. Do some research and think a little 'sideways' and you'll be able to make an awesome bator without needing the electronic genius of Denis... won't be as sweet, but it will work all-the-same. When you think about it there are only 5 essential parts to an incubator;

1. heating
2. thermostatic control
3. Air circulation
4. humidity
5. Turning the eggs.

And for almost all of these Ebay is your friend :wink:

1. heating... a simple, pre-wired desk lamp with a clamp will work: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DESK-CLAMP-LAMP- ... dZViewItem

Get two if you like :roll: at 5 bucks you can't go wrong can you. You could make a simple rail for the inside of your bator, clamp them on and then run a screw through the clamp to make sure it can't fall off. If you find one with a screw fitting instead of a bayonet fitting you could replace the bulbs with these ceramic reptile bulbs too http://cgi.ebay.com.au/150W-CERAMIC-HEA ... dZViewItem

2. Thermostat: Reptile thermostats: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Reptile-Thermost ... dZViewItem

These things are GREAT! They are electronic thermostats, only go up to 40 degrees C and anything you want to thermostatically control you can plug straight into them. I use these because they are so easy. They have a three degree variance BUT they always heat up to the maximum temperature set on the dial and a little knowledge on the thermodynamics of water here will allow you to sleep easy... It takes a lot of energy to change the temperature of water and when you do get it up to temp. it cools down slowly too. Of course this is relative to the volume of the water but with an egg what you WILL find is that the egg will get up to the thermostatically set temp. and will stay there despite the air temp. fluctuating by 3 degrees between on and off because the air cools down faster (much) than the egg will - much like a mother hen in a lot of ways ;).

3. Air circulation: check these out!! http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Hydroponic-EziAi ... dZViewItem

These are 240v hydroponics fans wired up and ready to plug in... and away you go. I hook a power board (with a cutout switch) to the thermostat then plug the lamp and the fan into the powerboard, ready to roll.

4. Humidity: buy a kitty litter tray and fill it with water... you are away ;)

5. Egg turning... auto egg turning is optional but if you do a search for 'egg turner' on ebay you will find hova-bator type turners listed for sale separately and all you need to do is check to make sure they are 240V. They prob. won't come wired but a quick visit to the nearest sparky and it will be hooked up ready to plug in. there are heaps of semi-auto turning options too. Eg. Just pivot your egg rack in the middle and attach a string to each end that passes up and out of the top of the bator so you just lift each end in turn to lilt the eggs... so easy.

So... rather than getting defensive just think smarter... Denis has been doing this for a muchos long time and is a pro.. no doubt about it... but he had to start somewhere ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:57 am 
Far out TasV, that was one good post!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:46 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Great post TAS

Re the silicone sealant in the corners, I suggest that you assemble with a bead of silicon on the edges and then screw it up, you will get a bead of silicon squeeze out that you can smooth out all along the internal joins.
This will water proof any bare mdf of chip board very well.
With my new bator I have noticed that moisture is starting to penetrate in between the melamine and the factory edgeing and starting to swell slightly. Not much yet but its there.

I was concerned that the fumes from the silicon would cause probs as well during incubation, so I ran it for a few days untill the silicon set properly and no more smell.

Regards
Trev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:50 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Oh and Denis, you are an evil man.
The gears are already turning in my head how I can take your design and adapt it further to make a auto turn version as a display bator for my youngest to have at her school so that her class mates can see chicks hatch as well.
Only limiting factor at this time is a thermostat, but I will work around that.

Regards
Trev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:02 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

G'Day TRev,

On the school thing... be aware that everything that gets plugged in at a school needs to be tagged by an electrician. We get people coming through the school all the time testing everything that is plugged in. I left my phone charger plugged in and on my desk and they even pulled that off and tested that too :roll: So if you are going to make something for a school it needs to be tagged by a sparky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:26 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Same thing happens were I work as well. Normally it is only the cords that are tested for earth leakage, not the appliance.
An easy work around will be to set it up to use a removable cord I.E. computer power cable as they are earthed.

Regards
Trev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:28 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Same at my son's school - everything.

There was almost a revolt on the first day of year seven. Its a boarding school and it was fairly emotional for everyone dropping off their very young first time boarders and just as the head boarder teacher was saying its time to go home so the teachers can whack the kids into shape a upstart jumped up an mentioned that everything had to be tagged.

This was at 4.00pm and the upstart said we all had to go out and find a sparky to test all electrical equipement. Phones, computers, radios, alarm clocks etc and all in the city and we were country people that had no local knowledge. It caused much upset and nearly a revolt as it hadn't been mentioned prior. Fortunately common sense prevailed and they contacted a tester and tagger to do it asap but it was $10 a cord.

Now, a few years later - one of the parent of the boarder kids is an electrician and on parent working weekiends (we go down twice a year to do odd jobs aound the school) this parent spends the weekend tagging all cords for free.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:30 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Great POST mate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:38 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Very concise TasV.

Well done.

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:17 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

hi denis thats a great incubator. thankyou for sharing
i think my dad and i might have a go at it. :D
just one question though,
what do you do when the chicks hatch? their little legs would fall through the metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:40 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Hi Macca;
I use a sheet of rubberised non slip matting. It is used to put under plates and stuff to stop them slipping.
Also use small plastic baskets as hatching bakets. All available at reject shops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:38 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

hi all some time ago i did an electrical course that allows me to do the electric on my own house it's a simple course. even though i have done this course i still check everthing before doing any work with the local sparky. if i was to sell or give anything away i.e the bator i have just made it has to be checked by a sparky.

Denis you have give me some ideas re work my bator after this season

chears
Kathy and Chris

http://katris.webs.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:34 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Denis.
my dad and myself did build an incubator like yours. we have put 40 eggs in it to see how it goes :D. they have 2 weeks to go and im so excited :mrgreen:. i'll let you all know if any hatchs :D.
thankyou again Denis for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:32 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hey Everyone :hiya:,
I thought i would just share some pics of the incubator my dad and i built, that is based on denis's incubator. we ended up hatching 14 out of 40 in our first hatch which is really plenty for us. Thankyou for sharing this great intcubator denis.

Hope you like them :biggrin:.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:59 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Well that looks really professional - and so clean - very impressive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next