Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Make an incubator in 2 Hrs.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:25 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Alex
Please put up a seperate post about you incubator, include as much info as possible about how you made it and how it works
I would like to add it to the homemade incubator sticky if you are happy for it to be added.
regards
Trev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:32 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Sorry also add details abot the first hatch, like how many were infertile, how many started to hatch but didnt make it out and so on
Regards
Trev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:55 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thanks Chicken07 :biggrin:.
Hi chookmadhubby, We built this a while back now and i cant really remember how we made it.
sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:05 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi macca
no dramas, even if you could do a post that descibes it and include all the photos etc I can add it to the home made bator sticky as some one could use the info.
Regards
Trev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:38 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Denis

Where have you put the vent holes in this incubator? I've been trying to sift through the pics to work it out but can't seem to see any in the pics.

thanks
chookstarter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:47 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Ventilation holes ?

I can't remember exactly to be honest.

If I put a smallish hole about 8-10mm in the wall where the air is is under pressure then that will definitely be my air outlet. Then I can sort of pick and choose where my inlet will be.

Sometimes when I have two lights in a chamber such as this one, it is hard to tell whether both globes are still OK. So what I do is drill two small holes so that I am looking straight at each element if I look into the holes.

A hole in the wall into the duct is always a pretty safe bet. Sometimes it is an air outlet which is OK. If it turns out air is being sucked in there that's OK too because it is mixing with the air moving through the duct well before it reaches the eggs.

At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter a great deal. Some of mine the hole through which I pour the water becomes a vent....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:39 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

thanks for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Denis wrote:
This is what I made this arvo.

This is what it looks like without the lid.

This design is based on one I made for a 3yo nephew.
This shows that all the working parts are out of harms way.

The shelf support also acts as a conduit to ensure that the warm air pushed by the fan is evenly distributed along both sides of incubator.
I have used 50mm x 25mm rectangular polythene stuff usually used to cover data cables. Shown below is how the air circulates. The fan blows into the space where the lights are, pushing the warm air out through holes all along the incubator.

It is very easy to put together. I did this one this afternoon in about 2 hrs. I had made one similar a week ago so I knew what I was doing.

You need about 3m of normal pine board. Board is 140mm x 19mm.
I sheet of 450mm x 900mm x 12mm MDF.

You need a good tray to put the eggs on. I got the tray from the Recovery Centre, which is the recycle arm of the local tip. It is out of an old fridge most likely.

Some tips:

Measure how wide your egg tray is. Mine was about 380 mm. Then cut three pieces of your board about 10 mm longer than the width of your tray. These are the 3 boards I have numbered 1,2 & 3.
Cut another piece of board 40 mm longer than the other 3 to be the cover for where all the electronics goes.

Cut a hole to suit your fan in one of the boards. Cut the holes to suit the conduit, if you don't want to use conduit a couple of holes about 25mm will work fine too.
Cut your tray to the length you want, and cut incubator sides to suit.
Assemble all your boards, screw them together, then attach to the MDF base.
Position the fan board so that the lid and the cover for the electronics meet on top of it, as it has to support both.

I have also run a strip of 25mm x 12mm board around the top. 400 x 20 would be fine too.

HOW DO YOU BUILD "SOMETHING" TO GIVE 50-60% THEN 65% HUMIDITY FOR THE INCUBATOR?
I was told the dept of water is not important but its surface area will determine the humidity.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:53 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

More than one container ?
More than one compartment in the same container?
A flat cover for a larger container where you can slide the cover to expose more surface area.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:13 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

i use a kitty litter tray it holds plenty of water and a big surface area

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:09 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Wow, a kitty litter tray is a huge surface area of water. I would think that was too big, but it may depend on your climate. Generally, a shorter lunchbox size container provides enough surface area for a box incubator, and in very dry conditions, perhaps a second lunchbox. My E2 which is a big cabinet runs off two lunchboxes, and in some conditions covers need to be drawn over part of those.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:12 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

hi Denis,
would just like to ask where you buy your little fans from? also would heating cable work instead of light bulbs?

thanks

seb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:24 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

You can buy fans from Jaycar, Dick Smith etc. They are just fans used in computers.
Computer swap meets are the best place. Try your local computer repairer for one second hand.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:22 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Baz.Liphuyzen wrote:
hi Denis,
would just like to ask where you buy your little fans from? also would heating cable work instead of light bulbs?

thanks

seb

Buy it from electronic shops or computer shops: Example JayCar...
I dont buy it. Wait when people in your area put out hard rubbish for their council to collect. Just pick one up from a street & get the fan. Some fans turn faster (more air flow) but most are just ok. Too fast will vibrate more. Eggs dont like vibrations. Strong fan will evaporate humidity-water more & faster too.
I got my fan lately from hard rubbish & intend to build one to see.