Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Humidity experiment

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Humidity experiment
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:14 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

From an American forum,
A very reliable source informed me that they done an experiment with a hen during her incubation of a clutch of eggs. This was a humidity test/check. They placed a hygrometer under this hen at the beginning and left it for the duration of her incubation. Here are the results.

Days 1 - 18 was 38% to 42% (relative humidity)

Day 19 was 50% to 52%

Day 20 was 52% to 58%

Day 21 was 62% to 65%

Comments?
David

Post subject: Re: Humidity experiment
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:22 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

That is a little lower than recommended for the foam type incubator, but I don't think a direct comparison can be made. The conditions under the hen are slightly different to the conditions in an incubator. The eggs have less exposure to the actual air, and more contact with the nesting material and the body of the hen. That surely must change the way that moisture leaves the egg.

I also notice the source says the experiment was done with 'a' hen. It would be interesting to see if other hens produced different results. We know that hens successfully hatch eggs in tropical conditions where the humidity is much higher, so it seems that a range of humidity levels are conducive to a hatch, rather than an exact level. Although I'm sure that the further away from 'desirable' the levels get, the lower the hatch rate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:18 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Very interesting! :thumbs:

NellyG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:23 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I agree with chicken07 that other factors would affect moisture leaving the egg. The results are what you'd expect from an incubator where the egg surface is all exposed to the air.

From everything I've read and observed the moisture loss in the incubated egg depends on the temperature of eggshell and the humidity of the air. Airspeed across the egg apparently makes no difference and spraying the eggs with water has the effect of actually increasing the moisture loss from the egg

Humidity would have some effect under a hen but much less than in an incubator. Humidity, being the moisture level in the air, is something the chook has no control over. I think all the things like contact with chook and different materials would be fairly constant under chooks and would probably account for most of the moisture loss rate.

I just think the humidity under the chook has so much less influence that it is ignored by mother nature and only affects the hatch rate after long spells of extreme dry or damp weather, if at all.

I'd be happy to have an incubator have those readings and would expect a good hatching result. :roll: :roll: If something sounds too good to be true then it usually is. Reliable Source has been causing us grief for centuries, I would have thought someone would have shot him by now.

The results are next to useless without the corresponding surrounding air humidity, this so called experiment is pushing forward an assumption that chooks control humidity, but not providing any evidence that this is the case. I'd like to see that assumption proven before I'd worry about actual levels and readings.

Humidity sensors, hygrometers etc. usually only work in fairly ideal conditions involving airflow and temperature etc. I doubt there would be many that would give sensible readings under a chook anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:35 am 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Hmmm even more interesting. :lol: What you say is true, Dennis. It would be interesting if we had all that information, but may not be all that useful.

NellyG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:30 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Today I hatched the first two chicks of my season. I use my daughters incubator as a hatcher for last two days or so. I didn't even bother to put water in the hatcher and they hatched fine. The autoturn ran dry during the week we were in QLD.
While they don't have any water in the incubator the chicks seem to have a fair bit of dolls furniture in there to keep them comfortable. :shock: TV, stereo, tiny cushions, ...
Hope I don't find then wearing a pair of Barbies high heels tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:27 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Denis wrote:
Today I hatched the first two chicks of my season. I use my daughters incubator as a hatcher for last two days or so. I didn't even bother to put water in the hatcher and they hatched fine. The autoturn ran dry during the week we were in QLD.
While they don't have any water in the incubator the chicks seem to have a fair bit of dolls furniture in there to keep them comfortable. :shock: TV, stereo, tiny cushions, ...
Hope I don't find then wearing a pair of Barbies high heels tomorrow.

TV, stereo, tiny cushions, ...Hope I don't find then wearing a pair of Barbies high heels tomorrow. :shock: Denis there is a family support group for children like this its called BYP :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:22 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

I have 2 different incubators

a 36 auto IM, I run this dry most of the time and have an amazing hatch rate, only thing that wont hatch in there is an infertile egg!

2nd is a Multiquip E3, had a disaster year last year, the machine is a very dry machine, with 2 fans and 4 heaters (2 elements and 2 bulbs)

I ran the machine full of water and still struggled to get the humidity up ...chicks dried out before they could get out, even with spraying and hot water in the trays.

I hated it , was going to sell it, but would have felt bad seling it to anyone....plus we would not have got anywhere near what we paid for it, so decided I had to make it work this year!!!

This year I ripped all the plastic water trays out....I went to Vinnies and bought up deep square METAL cake tins, humidiity is spot on, getting brilliant hatch results
no need for spraying, no drying pipped eggs......am very happy.

Heidi

'Let us be judged not by how we fall, but by how we rise after falling'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:49 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Hmmm.. thats interesting Heidi.

Thinking the physics of that maybe the metal absorbs and retains the heat allowing to water to be given off as humidity where as the plastic doesn't and its a constant battle to get the water warm enough to evaporate. ??

Denis - whats your take on this. ??

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:13 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Is the surface area of the water in the cake tins greater than the surface area of the water that was in the plastic ones?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:24 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

If the were the same size in terms of surface area, the plastic one would have more of a temperature differential gradiant from the surface down to the bottom of the water in the tray. Which would mean less evaporation at the surface. I think ??

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:17 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

The cake tims are slightly bigger in general diameter, however the plastic "decor" containers that were supplied were much deeper, the cake tins,

2 are square 20cm tins (these are under the elements) the other 2 are shallow square slice tins all metal but are very shallow...and they are under the globes (phillips clear 200 watt.)

will get some pics today to show you the difference of the 2 types.

The metal gets hot to the point of small bubbles i the bottom of the trays, I go through double the water, though as i said they are not as deep.

With the plastic I was not getting much passed 80 in the humidity now with the metal the wet bulb sits smack between 92 - 94

though I tend to look at the fact that the hatches are not drying out at all as my indicator,they are not wet soggy chicks either so must be doing something right?
(rather than the wet bulb)....I notice when we have a wet atmosphere the humidity is higher and needs less water, and thus when it was screaming wind last week I went through more water,not sure if this is just my imagination or what?

The Incubator is not inside the house, as I found our central heating programme was not helping things...so moved all 155kg's of incubator over to the stables, while you get temp fluctuations there it seems to be alot happier, now with the tins I am not dreading spring they way i did last year...it was just soooo frustrating.

Heidi

Heidi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:19 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

My concern is high humidity.
I find my hatch rate is less when i have humidity readings 70-80% as per the instruction supplied with the incubator.
So these days I keep it at a steady 50% and I have a great hatch rate.
I personaly think high humidity causes damage and doesn't help hatching.

Daza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:45 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Still or forced air?

My incubator takes 576 eggs (144 a week) ...so the fans are big...needs alot more humidity to get right round the bator.

Heidi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:54 am 
Wise One
Wise One

The maino incubator I use has the same problem, its a very thirsty boy.The bottom of the incubator where you fill the water is about as big as a kitty litter tray and the wire mesh on the bottom where you hatch out sits about an inch and three quarters from the bottom. Even with filling it up just a bit over the mesh it runs dry in two days, I think it goes through nearly 4-5 litres of water. Im not using it to hatch out, only to day 18 then I put them in a hova. I get fair hatch rate considering the temp fluctuations Im getting at the moment, but to save the constant filling could I fill beyond the mesh level so I dont have to open it every couple of days to fill it up or will this produce too much humidity?

Michelle