Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - infertile eggs from all young birds

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:21 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

hi to all, i could use some advice i have some light sussex who have been laying approx 2 months now or a little longer and i got them point of lay, also a young sussex rooster at the same time from the same place he was not crowing when i got him but well and truly is now. question ?? he has been treading the hens ok and so i thought i would set 2 dozen in bator 12 days ago and not one fertile any suggestions or advice. we thought he may have been to young. thanks and regards peter flack :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:23 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

There my be too much fluff around their bums. You should pluck them a bit around the area. Wet feathers pluck easier than dry ones. An area about the size of your hand should help. Some people prefer not to pluck as the birds don't like it, so they trim with a pair of scissors. You just have to be careful not to nick the skin. It may be that he's getting the hang of it as well.

How many hens does the rooster have? Are they in a small cage?

Be aware that hatching the eggs from a newly laying pullet will produce smaller chicks. There are advantages to hatching from mature hens as they produce a larger egg and therefore a larger chick.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:09 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

hi chicken07, he has 6 hens and is in a fairly lge run and i sometimes freerange. i have had racing pigeons for 50 yrs this year and i have always trimmed the vent area leaving what i call the feel feathers but i did not even consider that in chooks ? same principal only different bird i guess. so will give that a try. they have all the best feed they can get as i manufacture it as part of my business also regularly worm, do for cocci and triccomonosis ( canker) many thanks for the reply cheers peter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:17 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Some of the bigger breeds take alot longer to mature and the boy takes longer to start working I have found, even though he's doing his thing and the girls are laying. I introduced two younger cockerels to older Australorps much the same as what you have done, and both boys arnt to the point of working yet even though they are crowing. I also had the same problem with some large orpingtons, but found once I let them out to freerange more often the boy was more successful. More room to do the dance of love Im guessing. :lol:

Cheers,
Michelle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:00 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

In addition to what has been said above.

Hens are affected by weather, decreasing daylingt hours and increasing daylight hours, cold, hot, wet etc and it makes their laying wax and wane. That is egg production varies.

The exact same factors also affect a roosters fertility. He may have the urges and the actions but just doesn't have fertile viable sperm. Winter is not a good time for fertile eggs especially with young birds.

Mike