Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Broody's am I being impatient

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:50 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We have 5 Orpington X Cochin that I was hoping would be broody's for us. Is there an age that they will go broody? 3 have been laying all winter. With temps up to almost 30 last week I was hoping something would have happened by now. We are back to lighting the wood fire inside now though as we had frosts this week :dontknow
Is there something I can do to encourage them?

If not I will need to get some more pullets to bring production up there are some 18 week light Sussex and 40 week Australorps available near by. What do you all think? Give the Orpingtons longer or get 3 or so of the others while I can. Keep in mind I would usually have a 2+ hour drive to get anything but Isa's or Laying girls.

Thanks In advance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:06 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

If you want them to be broody they won't be giving you any eggs, so I guess you better buy some more pullets.

40 week old Australorps may already be a bit old for pullets and they may already have been sifted through by the seller for good layers and not so good layers. They start laying from 24-26 weeks.

The broody season is still very young. To encourage them, you could put quite a few fake eggs in the nest area and leave them there. Someone may choose to claim them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:09 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi I'd be inclined to go with the australorps, if they are 40 weeks old they will be laying & if your lucky or unlucky depending on how u look at it, 1 may go broody, if you go with the Sussex, depending on the strain they might not start laying till nearly 40 weeks, the light Sussex I had we're that age, where as some silvers I also bred layed at 24 weeks, I love both breeds so really depends what you are looking for:)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:19 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks heike1a2b3c we also have Isa's so wont be too short on eggs for a while, they are getting on in age though 3 ish years. Lots of thin and soft shells (diet has been checked thoroughly)

Pacer I do like the look of the Sussex but I have a better shot of chicks before its too hot if I go with the Australorps........Hey maybe I should get both :bg