Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Disinfectant for goose eggs & incubator & other advice

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:20 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi

I'm a new member. I raise geese on Kangaroo Island. This year for the first time I tried incubating eggs with mixed results, but I'm encouraged with the moderate success. I need to purchase a disinfectant suitable to disinfect goose eggs and a GQF Sportsman incubator, preferably out of Adelaide. Also I probably need an hygrometer to get the humidity levels correct.

I had trouble with about 50% of the goslings that started pipping in the incubator being unable to complete zipping their eggs, these remained trapped in the eggs and ended up getting firmly stuck to the shell and or membrane. I assisted them and about 60% survived.

Can anybody advise please.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:23 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Hi

I am very loathe to advise on a disinfectant for any type of egg. Eggs from any species of birds are covered in a natural antibactrial substance to protect them from the ingress of bacteria during incubation either during brooding or artificial incubation. If eggs are dirty then its better to brush the muck off than to wash or disinfect them.

As for incubators, we generally adives to scrub them using warm soapy water (not detergent - which is chemically different) and then let them dry in direct sunlight which is also anti bacterial.

Yes - humidity definately plays a role in any avian species' hatching procedure.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:35 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Welcome to BYP :)

Ideally, I would just set eggs that are already clean. If any are really poopy then I might not bother with them. If they are slightly dirty then do as Mike suggests - scrub them with a dry scourer or something. Using water can tend to drive the dirt into the pores of the shell.

But if you do want to use a disinfectant for any reason then I'd go for Milton's liquid, which is used for disinfecting baby bottles. You buy it in concentrate form and then dilute it. Make sure the water is warmer than the egg (lukewarm) - this will minimise the degree to which it gets sucked in through the pores of the shell. As for the incubator - all I use is soapy water, as Mike suggests. After washing, I run it dry for 24 hours to make sure all moisture has evaporated.

Great that you have had some success with your geese so far :) They are hard to hatch in an incubator, so you have done well.

When they are hatching, try not to open the incubator - getting stuck in the shell may be associated with opening the incubator too much. If you do find any that get stuck, you can take them into a steamy bathroom and gradually remove bits of shell with tweezers, dripping warm water onto the stuck-on membrane with an eye dropper to free up the gosling. Don't remove the shell completely - just the top half to a third.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:02 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi & welcome to BYP.

Virkon S is the product you are after, it is safe for both eggs & bator if used as per the directions.
It can be a little hard to track down in the tablet form, which is the most economical way to mix small quantities, but better produce stores can get it (often they sell the sachets anyway, so just need to order it).
The tablets are readily available on ebay though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:05 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hi & welcome to the forum.

We have hatched goose eggs in a Multiplo incubator and in an RCOM50. I have never washed them. We do find that goose eggs and duck eggs are more inclined to go bad from bacterial contamination because of the state of the nest the mother has been laying in and also because they have a longer incubation period. Sometimes the eggs are deep in the nest and quite dirty by the time I get them. I find that the ones that are really contaminated don't hatch regardless of what we do. The clean and fertile ones have a good chance of hatching and I'd estimate we get about 80% or more hatching.

We clean our incubator out at least once a year with F10SC. We have also trialed spraying it on hatching eggs to see what happened and they hatched as normal. They were chicken eggs but the principles are the same. We use it to clean up any messes that occur during incubation and also for the big annual cleanout. It's quite economical because you dilute it and it lasts a long time.

If your goslings weren't making it out of the eggs after pipping, it could be a humidity problem. We'd need more detail about your incubator and your settings to have a good guess at what was happening though.

If you get eggs with weeping on them, that is bacterial infection and those eggs need to be removed before they contaminate the other eggs around them. That is probably due to contamination of the eggs before you even collected them. It may be worth considering if there's any way you can provide drier or cleaner laying areas. It's hard with geese though because they tend to pick odd places to lay eggs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:54 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi Cathy

Thank you for your detailed reply. I apologise for not replying sooner, its a very busy time of year for me with ewes lambing and geese hatching etc. I purchased a bottle of F10SC and sprayed the second batch of eggs I put into the incubator. I had cleaned it out and disinfected it thoroughly before putting the second bacth in, while cleaning and disinfecting it I discovered the GQF sportsman incubator suffers from poor design, too many places in it for bacteria to lurk and to clean it properly you have to disassemble most of it.

I've purchased a hygrometre to keep an eye on humidity levels.

So far 8 goslings have hatched out of the second batch, all happy and healthy and all hatched out on their own. Also to my surprise 4 cygnets hatched out this morning, they were in eggs that were in a goose's nest and she had been sitting on them for quite some time, I thought they were odd looking for a goose egg. The cygnets are doing fine. I'll release them onto a large dam on the farm when they have grown out, several other swans come by that dam every year.

I check the eggs in the incubator every day for signs of weeping and embryo development, I have had to dispose of seven of the eggs that had started to weep, but in the past three days no more eggs have shown signs of weeping.

Several of our geese on the farm have started hatching their eggs, this year I am leaving the goslings hatched out by their mothers with the adult birds to be raised. Our gaggle of adult geese appear to adopt goslings because a group of 5 or more adults have taken to caring for 6 of the 8 goslings that been have hatched by their mothers and left the nest, and another group has taken to caring for the other 2 that have left the nest. Is this usual?

Regards

Forrest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:17 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

No, it's not unusual. Adult geese love to adopt young goslings. The ganders are particularly paternal. We hatch and rear our goslings for six weeks or so and then give them back to the flock who take them in and care for them. They get very excited and curious when they spot goslings. The whole flock will come over and try to claim them.

How interesting to hatch some cygnets. Are they black or white?

Most cabinet incubators have corners and nooks and crannies. Everything in there doesn't have to be sterile in order to hatch successfully. The eggshell with it's cuticle is a natural protective barrier. The problems happen when the contents are contaminated. Usually that happens in the nest before you even get them to the incubator.

Humidity at hatch time is important for waterfowl. They do dry up and get stuck more easily.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:27 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi Cathy

They are black swan cygnets, Kangaroo Island where I live has several large populations of black swans. At this time of year you can see flocks numbering in excess of 100 grazing in paddocks along the Highway just out of Kingscote. When I was collecting eggs from the nests of wild geese living on the Cygnet River recently I saw quite a few cygnets with their parents, I did not keep count, but probably 60 or more.

Regards

Forrest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:40 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

How magical. You'll have to take your camera next time. :-D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:52 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi Kathy

I have some photos but have been unable to get them into my posts on this forum.

I tried using the gallery link but did not succeed.

Can you assist?

Regards

TCKT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:57 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

There are two ways you can post pictures here. The first is to go to the gallery and upload them and then copy and paste the codes back here into a post. That presents the best but won't work if you are on some mobile devices. The second way is by attaching the picture to a post. There is a button to choose a file to attach underneath the posting screen. If you can't navigate to a picture to attach it (eg if you are on an iphone) then you can get the Tapatalk app and access the forum through that. It has an attachment option for pictures when you post.