Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - A different spin on things

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:16 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Okay this is my first attempt at a homemade incubator. I used parts that I salvaged out of my old microwave - please note (as Denis mentioned) that microwaves can kill so be VERY careful if you decide to remove parts from it. It's an auto-turn and works okay so far - I'm not sure how the eggs will fare with the rolling about (it's pretty random) - may need to tweak a bit more. This model is still air - only because I didn't have a spare cpu fan available. I was going to use the microwave fan (I still saved it because it's 240V unlike the computer fans which are 12V) but that baby blows a phenomenal amount of air and I didn't think I needed all that airflow - plus it's huge and I didn't think it'll fit in the existing incubator (which is a styrofoam box - a bit small but then this is a trial run - eggs are pekin bantams so they are smaller than the usual standard hens). The electric digital timer that I bought from Bunnings lasted 2 days (I'm not impressed) - during that time, the whole set up was fully automatic - turns the eggs 3 times a day on the timer for a minute each time.

http://www.flowerpotheaven.com/gardeningtips/wp-content/MVI_0601.AVI

Fingers crossed I'll hatch some :D

chookstarter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:20 am 
Swan
Swan

Looks good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:54 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Very interesting!!

How did you post a movie..?

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:12 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi,

Are the eggs turning like that all the time? Did you wire the turner into the same circuit as the light (i.e. can it be put onto a separate cord?)?

Reason I ask is that it looks real fast... and I've been thinking about how I would do my own one (without Denis' knowledge about electronics :roll: ) and have decided that I will buy a small digital timer that I can plug my turner into so that it turns for 1 minute, 20 times a day. These are pretty easy to come by (I think you can even get them at Coles) . I have a Brower bator here atm that uses exactly the same action as you have made but it turns very very slowly... you don't want to scramble you eggs ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:47 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

My Canon Digital Camera records movies - just have to keep it short otherwise it takes up a lot of space.

The microwave motor is pretty slow but still it does look like the eggs are taking a bit of a beating - I guess it's a trial and error thing - I contemplated creating a conveyor belt (similar to what the Roll X does but actually sitting the eggs on a belt, not on the rollers) with fixed bars across widthwise to keep the eggs in place and then have the conveyor belt move underneath them. But I thought I'd try this first and see how I go. The thing I did notice about the microwave motor is that it rotates in alternate directions each time ie 1st clockwise then anti-clockwise, so not in the same direction each time. Again one of the quirks I guess that will need to be tested and tried and tossed out if it doesn't work.

I didn't wire it to the thermostat. I just plugged the motor onto a digital timer which was set to rotate 1 minute 3 times a day. I figured if people turn manually 3 times a day, then auto-turning them the same would be okay too. It's all trial and error. I tried to wire everything as is with the microwave as the casing but I think like the pie bator, it loses a lot of heat - so I opted for the styrofoam box - I think I'll get something bigger next time.

I'll let you know how it turns out. The fun's in the experimentation. :wink:

chookstarter