Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Posting eggs Soozorp style!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:05 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I found this whilst surfing the net, I can't find it on here so thought I would post it as it is interesting and great advice.

Full credit goes to soozorp for this

Main Ingredients –
12 eggs – preferably fertile

Packing Ingredients -
1 OZ Post ‘BM’ size post carton [cost $2 – if sending chooks eggs – next size up for goose eggs cost $3]
1 egg carton [for chook eggs] 2 cartons if posting goose eggs
1 paper towel roll
1 roll packing tape
1 roll alfoil
1 face washer size piece of towelling [dampened and rung out lightly]
1 plastic shopping bag [contributing to the recycling programme here]
1 previously read thru News Paper [also contributing to the recycling programme]

Instructions –

First – address the Oz Post carton – follow instruction advice below

Wrap each egg individually with 1 or more paper towel squares to ensure they won’t move when placed in the carton receptacles – place them pointy end downwards into the receptacles – this has been found to be more beneficial to the yolk not sticking
Chooks = when packed - close the lid carefully and firmly and tape it shut by wrapping 2 lots of tape around the carton partially in from each end.
Geese = wrap as for the chooks – form a square using 2 cartons and firmly tape in 3 places.

Wrap each egg carton with alfoil leaving the ends uncovered – tape lightly in place

Wrap a piece of the damp cloth around the alfoil – this helps to maintain moisture levels [so essential when being transported]

Place this all inside a recycled plastic shopping bag taping it shut

To prepare the Oz Post carton –

‘Scrunch’ pages of news print and place enough on the bottom to ensure the egg carton is cushioned
Place the egg carton centrally – 2 cartons will fit in a ‘BM’ size if chook eggs
Position more ‘scrunched’ news print around and on top of the carton to ensure no movement – adjusting amounts as needed
Close the OZ Post carton
Tape across the central points all the way around the Oz Post carton - like a cross – leaving room for postage sticker to be attached.

NEVER EVER PUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE NAME AND ADDRESS OF THE PERSON THE PARCEL IS GOING TO AND ON THE BACK -YR NAME AND ADDRESS [AND A CONTACT PHONE NUMBER]

NEVER PUT - - -

THIS WAY UP or FRAGILE or HANDLE WITH CARE or FERTILE EGGS - ESPECIALLY NOT THIS ONE

Unless of course you want those OZ Post workers to SHAKE the carton to see if they can HEAR the chicks inside – OR play football with the box [just for fun] – or outright stomp on the box just to be mean – I know someone that DID get a box arrive with “FERTILE EGGS HANDLE WITH CARE” plastered all over it and the carton obviously smashed around with a large foot print on it and every single egg smashed –
So on that note I say clearly – If you are stupid enuff to put any of those ‘messages of DOOM’ on the carton you get everything you deserve – which is - purchasers on yr back coz you were foolish.

I do not recommend Express Post as this involves Flying – the cargo hold is NOT pressurized nor temperature controlled the temps can get down to well below freezing = dead eggs – if you do use Express Post = you need to pack the eggs in insulted packaging and NO DAMP CLOTH as it WILL freeze and kill the eggs faster. You also need to advise the purchasers the eggs may not be viable as a result - and request their confirmation of this in writing - stating clearly they take full responsibility.

NOTE = all mail is flown to Tassie these days [express AND regular] so this extra precaution MUST be taken.

Edited coz I'm silly and forgot the final ingredient =
Always post on either a Monday or Tuesday depending on where the eggs are going - to 'hopefully' have them arrive before Friday of that same week. I always try to post on Mondays

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:13 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Great advice Chookit. Maybe this should be made into a ''sticky'' as I know I will be referring to it when I start sending eggs. I think I'll print it out anyway.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:54 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

good advice that has been posted on here by sooz herself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:54 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Lapsteeler, it is great advice and full credit to soozorp for taking the to type this info out.

I actually used her advice last week and when they arrived I was told what excellent job I did of packing the 3 little eggs (thats right only 3 as I gave them to someone wanting a breed I had 3 spare eggs of).

Caladenia, I searched high and low on this forum for this info so as not to repeat if sooz has posted it here, as it should be a sticky in the incubation section. I think she done a wonderful job of explaing all of this and to top it off it is so easy to do and takes not much more time then other ways I have had eggs posted to me.

If I have stepped on anyones toes I do appologise in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:20 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I think that is because soozorp posted the info on another forum and a sticky was made of it on that forum as the info was so useful. Now it can be viewed by people on both forums which is a good thing. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:55 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

yes sooz has posted this on both forums---maybe it was lost in the big crash :? cheers pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:17 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I did a search for it before hand on this forum but no such luck of finding it, maybe I put the wrong keywords in etc.

It is great advice though and my hat goes of to her for putting it together for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:06 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I had a dozen eggs posted to me last year with a fairly similar method used (re- moistened cloth then sealed in plastic bag - even came with a cooler chill bag) I had 9 hatched out of twelve. Couldn't have been more pleased with that result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:04 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Wow chickybabe,

That is a great sucess rate, if I ever get to the point in breeding where I can send eggs, I will be using this method to give them a better chance.

Thank you for that great feedback, was the carton wrapped in aluminum foil before the damp cloth??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:38 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Location: drought or flooding rain with the random bushfire storm = yep thats about it for here
Did I hear my name??
Glad some are finding it useful

I DID post it here to be a sticky - - - so I will repost so it is made a sticky pls Andy Zilly

And all you others = dont shout at me for reposting it okies!!

Congrats on the good results chickybabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:39 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

chookit wrote:
was the carton wrapped in aluminum foil before the damp cloth??

Chookit

Can't remember for certain. It was last year. It probably was as the carton would have been soggy had there not been something to waterproof it. I remembered how how impressed I was with the packing.

Post subject: cold packs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:05 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

What about cold packs in posted eggs. I have heard that some people are doing it. Is it successful in the warmer weather? and how do you do it safely?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:11 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi Soozorps,

I for one are not going to shout, I think it should be a sticky and better coming from the original writer of this great post :wink:

I have used this method once and the one I sent to was happy with how they were posted, so a big thank you for that.

So please make this a sticky Admin as it can benefit all who send and receive eggs via the Australian Post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:06 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Location: drought or flooding rain with the random bushfire storm = yep thats about it for here
chookit wrote:
Hi Soozorps,

I for one are not going to shout, I think it should be a sticky and better coming from the original writer of this great post :wink:

I have used this method once and the one I sent to was happy with how they were posted, so a big thank you for that.

So please make this a sticky Admin as it can benefit all who send and receive eggs via the Australian Post.

Yep I reposted it and it was made a sticky within SECONDS!! Hows that for being on the ball!! So thanks to 'he who made it a sticky'

AND -

THANKS TO CHOOKIT for bringing to my attention that it had been lost!! And for insisting I take the credit -
to be honest - it was the culmination of many years of thought / trial and error - many conversations with another breeder [to whom I am eternally grateful on many levels] and just plain good old fashioned
commonsense.
Again - THANKS chookit!!!

OH!! By the way folks - I'm BACK!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:21 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

awww shucks :oops:

I just had one of them warm fuzzy feelings :wink:

I am so glad it is now finally a sticky woohoo!! So now no excuses for poorply posted eggs :wink:

Oh and BTW WELCOME BACK!!!!

Ok bed time for this white chooky.