Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - EXPERIMENT ON HATCHING EGGS FROM THE FRIDGE

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:09 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I thought i might just randomly try to hatch some from the fridge....

Results....

8 eggs put in

4 infertile, one was a double yolker so happy nothing happened there and 2 were the ones that have the speckles on the shell when you candle them, last one was just a plain old infertile egg. I diddnt expect great fertility as the weather has been insane and everyones roos are suffering from it!

4 left in the bator.

One seems to have died about day 15 in shell

And 3 babies in my brooder!!

Just thought i would share!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:13 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

wow thats a better result than i had. a friend wanted me to hatch some eggs for her, and she brought them round, they had obviously been in the fridge but thought would give it a go anyhow, and not one even developed..............so maybe there were other issues on hand with their fertility.

well done jayborox.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:25 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I had half a dozen eggs in the pantry clearly marked "do not refridgerate" as I was going to pop them under my broody chook, of course the dear mother decided she didn't want me to hatch any more so put them in the fridge to spite me, well being mule headed I put them under the chook anyway- 5 out of 6 viable, two died halfway, and three hatched.

Shortly after candling those eggs, one of my girls who had been sitting on call duck eggs (unsuccessfully) needed to sit on something, so assuming the refridgeration thing was no issue popped a dozen under her- now I did go on holiday for the majority of the time she was on them, but none were any good when I came back, I figure some started to develop but couldn't be sure of anything- considering how many eggs she squashed and ate I figured she was not a top broody either.....

So mixed results, I certainly would avoid doing it again, the length of time stored in the fridge may play a big part- the first six could only have been in for a few hours when I found them.

And to add my slightly irrelevent, yet happy ending, the chook hatched the three the same day I was going to boot the duck off the nest, the chook didn't recognise/ bond with the babies (which didn't surprise me as she is the most obnoxious/ non maternal chook I have ever come across and I do not know how she managed to sit for 35 days or what inspired her to), she kept pecking them to the point she was flipping them onto their backs, so I put the babies in with the duck who bonded with them instantly and is currently doing a wonderful job of being an extremely protective and caring mother.... (bazaar really as she is the genetic mother of the babies, did all the hard work required but didn't actually hatch them lol)...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:28 pm 
Swan
Swan

jayborox your post is very interesting

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:27 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Well about a year ago I bought some silkie eggs from a breeder in Victoria. When he delivered them he said they were only a few days old and had been in the fridge for three days. I was like WHAT, in the fridge!!!!
Anyway, there were 11 eggs, three weeks later there were 11 chicks, my first and only 100% hatch!
Thanks Schnapper :wink:
Sigrid

Large and Bantam leghorns in blue, Black, white, splash and blue duckwing, Marans in Wheaten, Polish in wc black, Malays, Coronation and speckled Sussex. Also Secretary to the French Marans Club of Australia.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:47 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Yeah i was quite suprised, the eggs had been in the fridge for a few days, considering 3 of the 4 that ever had a chance hatched im quite impressed! And the babies are sooo cute even if they are cross breeds!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:28 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Two things to consider,
1 How old were the eggs?
2 What temperature did they get down to in the frig? Too cold and it's goodbye.
I have a friend in the US who considers the best place to store hatching eggs is in a refrigerated wine cooler, the temp can be set about 12ºC-15ºC which is about ideal.
David