Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Automatic Universal Egg Turner

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:37 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Does anyone have the details and measurements of this auto turner?
Hovabator !
I really need to see and know how it turns the rows of eggs, what type of cable or bar is connected to the motor, genially on how it works.

Can someone post me some photos of the mechanism on how it works and what motor it has please?

Thanks,
Kowan

Polish Poodles, "Games" Aussie, English, Indian (Dark & Jubilee), Araucana, Minorca, Faverolle, hamburg, Sindian, RIR, Isa Brown, Pekin, Bantams, Guinea fowl Rare breeds I like to eat Asil, Buttercup, Sumatra, Maran and many more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

It uses a 3W 220Vac motor that turns once every 4hours (1/240rpm). On the right hand side looking at that picture there is a guide that the motor arm slots into. the guide is attached to a rod that turns the eggs. As the arm on the motor turns it slides up and down in that guide while pushing/pulling the rod left and right.

I'll try to get some pics of it up close and post them. I'll look for a tape measure as well to get the measurements.

*broken link removed* (Admin)

That's a 300mm shifter. I haven't managed to find any measuring device.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:59 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Thank you very much Whitty,

exactly what I was looking for, I want to build one but to a different size and I needed to see how it functioned before I started.
As for the motor, I am using a microwave geared motor, the motor that turns the plate in the microwave.

Thanks again Whitty

cheers,
Kowan

Polish Poodles, "Games" Aussie, English, Indian (Dark & Jubilee), Araucana, Minorca, Faverolle, hamburg, Sindian, RIR, Isa Brown, Pekin, Bantams, Guinea fowl Rare breeds I like to eat Asil, Buttercup, Sumatra, Maran and many more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:10 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Kowan
Whats is the rpm of the microwave turntable motor?

My auto turn bator uses a similar "linkage" to tilt the racks up and down except I used a rotisserie motor that is switched by a electronic timer circuit

You may find that you rock and roll the eggies to much if the rpm is too high

Trev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:28 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

5/6 rpm for mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:26 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Microwave motors don't have the grunt the BBQ rotissere motors have. Even in the microwaves they don't directly drive the plate but just turn the rollers beneath the plate. That allows it all to just slip if it gets a bit too tough for the motor. I've found that under a little bit of pressure the microwave motors just go into oscillations. Often they will change direction too.

Be a little bit careful with the microwave motors. Because they are such slow motors it is easy to turn the spindle accidently and get a very high voltage across the terminals.

If you are not into fiddly little stuff like the plastic arm on the setup shown then the BBQ motor takes 8 or 10mm square rod that you can take an arc welder to. The rod gives you the option of pushing the louvres from both sides or even several places.

Have a look around at other ways of doing circular to linear motion. Some of the old demonstration models from museums etc. look a lot easier to build. About a week ago I was looking at a way to slide a rack back and forth and come across one I thought looked pretty easy to build. Just searched for the last half hour and can't find it again.

Below is pretty much what I remember. Basically the black is the shaft of the rotiserre motor. The blue is a disc of some description and the red probaly a bit osteel pipe or similar. I just thought it would be easy to make without being too fiddly. I think it is a bit forgiving in the sense that if you don't get the correct amount of linear movement you can just use the same disc but with a hole drilled in another place for the shaft.
I had in mind something simply to roll eggs back and forth so was just going to grab two pieces of cylinder that fit inside each other and weld the shaft to the inside of the inner cylinder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:22 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Are you talking about this idea Denis?

What I would like to know! What is that silver thing that has the 2 red hoses coming from it :?:
Some sort of water heater may be? :?
Or is it just a surface for the water tray to sit on and the hoses are for filling the water tray!

But it does have 2 white wires going to the metal part. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:45 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Looks like a heater out of a coffee percolator or similar Kowan.

I've got one here at home. I'm keeping it on ice until I come across a small radiator about the size of the ones in car aircons etc. :wink:
Copper pipe or even a coil of polythene might work too. Seems a shame to waste so much of what the element could do the way you have set it up.

Put a rubber grommet or similar where the 240V wires come through the sharp tin wall before you kill someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:47 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Denis,
going by the image properties it is Kowans unit.

Re the radiator, have a google for water cooling products for PC's you might be suprised.

Regards
Trev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:24 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

This is my idea for a rolling type turner.

Either use an extremly low geared motor say 1/120 or 1/240 rpm or my thought is a rottiserie motor, limit switches and a control circuit to switch it on and off.

I have already made the actual egg rack and need to start the rest when I can get some time

Regards
Trev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:03 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Avey Incubators
AV-2 Precision Parrot Incubator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:23 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

kowan wrote:
As for the motor, I am using a microwave geared motor, the motor that turns the plate in the microwave.

Kowan,
the progress of this will be interesting. Please post your progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:52 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

240V to 12VAC 150W Outdoor Transformer

Delivers 150W at 12VAC, max. current 12.5A.
- Unit is dust and waterproofed to IP44, and is suitable for mounting outdoors away from direct rain.
- Size 145(L) x 87(W) x 88(H)mm.
- Includes 4 holes for easy screw mounting.
- Output is via a 2 core figure 8 lead, 2 metres long.
Price $69.95 Jaycar

Heater 12v 150w Car Caravan Boat Fishing cigarette plug
150W of instant heat. Perfect for the car or light application - no more waiting for the engine to warm any longer. This unit can be placed on the floor for warming feet or even attached to windows to act as a defogger.
This heater offers the following features:

150W ceramic element
360° swivel base
135cm power cord with cigarette lighter adapter (pictured below)
Freestanding design or mounting with velcro supplied
Maximum Dimensions: 72mm(H) x 100(W) x 130(D)
Price $32+ Ebay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:35 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Expensive. Heater is 12VDC and transformer 12VAC, have you got it working yet?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:37 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

kowan wrote:
Hi kowan,
is this your incubator?. Or can you tell me where the picture is from?.