Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - re babies due

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re babies due
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:53 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hey all Hope everybody had a lovely christmas day, and you chookies and duckies did to. I have some babie chicks due in the next couple of days. I have a brooder box outside with a yard attached for my new born babies and I use and infared globe. Being the warmer part of the year How much heat do they need is it the same as normal. I normally have them locked in the brooder box for a couple of weeks then give them access to you yard I just dont know if they would get to hot or not. I bit confused on what would be the best thing. mmmm :? :) Any ideas would be great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:17 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Hi Debbie,

The brooder must be capable of providing a temperature of 33'C, even in the coldest conditions. It must be adjustable so that a steady temperature can be maintained.

Simple electric hobby brooders can be obtained from poultry equipment suppliers and will successfully brood up to 50 chicks.

The brooding temperature for day-old chicks should be 33'C at the level of the chickens' backs, that is, about 50 mm above the litter. As the chickens grow, the temperature can be adjusted as given in Table 1.

To alter the temperature in accordance with Table 1, it should be reduced gradually by 1'C every 2'3 days.

Table 1.
Correct brooding temperatures (at chick height) for chicks of various ages

Age (days) Temperature at chick height ('C)
1 - 33
2 - 33
3 - 33
4 - 32
7 - 30
14 - 26
21 - 22
28 - 20

Generally, I make the brooder pretty big, this allows the chicks to move away from or towards the heat source. This allows them to regulate what temperature they want to be and that allows for external temperature changes as well.
J