Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - think ive been nieve and need some advice please

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:06 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

ok i got excited when i got my bator b4 xmas so i put her on let her sit for 24 hours then placed my eggs in there but i also put in turkey eggs and duck eggs (didnt know if they were turkey or duck so they went in) now just discovered chooks r 21 days ,turkeys are 28, and duck 28-33 but what do i do with the turkey and duck when i turn the heat up 3 days before hatch day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:11 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

you don't turn the heat up :shock:

you increase the levels of humidity

someone else will be along to explain the effects of this on the different eggs.

i think you will find the waterfowl may need a higher level of humidity, not certain, and i don't know about the hatching requirements for turkeys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:15 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I use the same method for chooks as I do turkeys....dont know about ducks sorry :(...and I never used to incubate turkeys and chooks together incase of blackhead again dont know about ducks.

Cheers,
Michelle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:35 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Brooklands girl
as Caledenia has said you increase the humidity not the temp for the last 3 days of incubation, after the chook eggs have hatched, drop it back down untill you need to increase for the turkeys or ducks.
The humidity is an average over the course of the hatch so a few days high in the middle wont cause to much drama.

If you increase the temp you will cook the babies in the eggs.

Regards
Trev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:42 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

ok them im not sure how to increase the humidity on my hovabator auto turn any idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:02 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

You need to increase the surface area of the water or add a sponge to act like a wick. What sort of incubator is it?

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:36 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

You are lucky the duck eggs are last .
I never do well with them but if you are going to have any chance placing them on wet chux and putting wet chux over them helps .In the last days is all I can suggest.Mist the chux with water.

Duck eggs seems to be a fight between humidity and air flow in.
Good luck :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:38 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Did your havabator come with any instructions or was it secondhand? If you dont have the instructions, I can scan them and email them to you next week when i go back to work if you like :) Cheers, Wendy

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:03 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

The tray underneath the mesh has seperate channels, if you look carefully...(I use a torch to get it ultra bright), you will see 4 channels. for more humidity, add water to the channels at either end.... they are the easist to locate, it depends if you put your auto turner in the right way so you ahve access across the bottom of the motor of autoturn to slip the water in. I use a funnel, really skinny funnel and put it between the mesh holes and slowly add warm water....

I know its real hard to spot these channels, so what I did was with a black marker, draw arrows either side of the channels and mark them 1 to 4, so I dont fuss about leaving the incubator open and losing what humidity is there already. I add water only to channel 1, that is the centre one, that seems to keep the humidity at or around 55-60% (i bought a thermoment/humidity digital gizmo from Dick Smith). Your humidity will increase dramatically once water has been added... you are remembering to top up during the incbation process?? When you get to the magic 18-19 day, you fill the other channels 2-4, so all four channels are full with water. Its the surface area remember, not how deep the water is in these channels that matters. If you find yhou are still not getting enough humidity, I had a wet facecloth which I rolled up and put to one side once eggs came off auto turn. I managed to keep my humidity near to or around 80% doing this. Especially important during the hatch process cos the shell breaks away but the membrane is still intact and that needs to stay moist and pliable for them to break thru.... an amazing process to watch! Try to limit your opening during this time, though I know how the temptation can sometimes be uncontrollable.

Hope this helps....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:09 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

thanks every one your advice has been logged into this computer brain
so im hoping things should go aok

hey rita how are you feeling today

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:57 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Im ok thanks for asking.

Everything is finalised for Wednesday, saw the Minister today, came to our house to go over the service, am sooo glad he did, cos I havent been to a cremation before and now I wont be in for a shock at the end when the curtain closes and the casket is sent on its way.

I have a lovely photo of my Mum in a pretty frame that will rest on top of the casket.....

I had a good sleep last night too, surprisingly....

but back to eggies.....
Im going to candle my dark eggs very shortly, they are day 10 today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:21 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

i done mine the other night naughty but i did

ill leave them now till they ready to hatch lol

service sounds as lovely as one can be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

ok i just candled again had a bad feeling
so glad i did i found a turkey egg that had a crack in it and boy did it pong
out of 37 ( i think) eggs only 5 had nothing in there so fingers crossed that the rest make it out ok