Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Where to source fertile eggs - which is best? plus more q's

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:25 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I am so excited at the prospect of incubating my first ever eggs!

Now, just need to find some eggs.

Which is the best idea - buy fertile eggs from reputable breeders and breeds that I want, and have them posted, costing $$ but at the risk they will break or be damaged during post. I have read that they have a much lower hatch rate from posts here on BYP.

or - post on freecycle/ask around and find x bred fertile eggs from near me to pick up. They will be free but I wont have a great idea of what breeds and what the parents are like etc.

As it is my first attempt, my inexperience will also lower the hatch rate.

If it were you, what would you do?

I would love to get some barred plymouth rock, RIR, orpington eggs etc, but don't want to fork out $100's only to have a few hatch. My husband would kill me!

Bami

Barnevelders, Aracanas, Coronation Sussex... and soon ducks... again.

Last edited by Bami on Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:31 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I'd be asking around for eggs available locally. Have you asked at your local feed store? They may know someone who has fertile eggs. I don't think it makes much difference if you have x breds or pure breds. I have had 42 cross bred eggs and 42 pure bred eggs in the incubator (different hatchings) and got about the same hatch rate. I'd be reluctant to try posted eggs on your first attempt (I'd be reluctant to try posted eggs at all!!) Good luck!! It becomes very addictive!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:48 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It takes a few goes to get everything running smoothly with a new incubator. Definitely get some local eggs as the hatch rate will be higher and if a problem happens you won't feel devastated (as much). It's a bad idea to get expensive eggs by post for a first go.
Get eggs that are fresh, from people that are feeding their birds well. Don't let them get hot, and transport them gently. Some people put them in an esky in the car, others suspend them from an elastic net to avoid jaring.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:02 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

this will be a borrowed incubator that has done lots of hatches. But I figure as it will be my first time, the hatch rate will also be lower :mrgreen:

Local eggs I think will be best, yes. I will put the feelers out and let you know how I go with it all.

I blame RITA for this too :lol: your hatching thread has sucked me in!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:05 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

99% of incubators work. As you say - it's the owners that are new. Image
Expect to have a great deal of excitement along the way.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:30 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Bami wrote:
I blame RITA for this too :lol: your hatching thread has sucked me in!

:oops: :oops: ..... it's all good! WHen it works, its great, but expect disappointments along the way.....

Good luck and enjoy... look on Petlink/Farmstock for fertile eggs too and some people on BYP may be willing to sell to you.... yeah, dont start with exie eggs..... My third try (next) will be with some Houdan and some other mixed breeds..... (perhaps a Polish or two)!! If they dont all hatch, its not always your fault..... I got 12 eggs from a local lady to me, I personally picked up (after candling, 6 were a go), I have 5 chics. I got another 24 from another lady via Post (after candling 9 were a go) and I have 6, so see the effect of postage??

I didnt even think to ask on Freecycle, I gave away a nasty bossy chook on Freecycle.....Mmmmmmmmm? :catch:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:54 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

What do you want? Do you want cross breds or pure breds? I'm just thinking once you get started it's easier to get too many chooks than not enough so get what you want. But with that - I think it's better to get some locally if you can to start with - they don't have to be cross breds though - you'd be surprised how many people are living quietly just out of town with 100's of chooks in thier paddocks. :lol: Look for the nearest poultry club - many advertise in the chook magazine. And there may be a byp member near enough for a drive too. Have fun. I remember when I started I thought it would be hard to find some nice chooks but once you meet one or two people it's harder to not gather them. :roll: And there are a few people who will give you some fertile eggs through the post - if you pay for the postage - you still get the risks of posted eggs not being as successful but it lowers the cost a bit if you want to try for some kinds of chooks that you can't source nearby.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:07 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

So Bami, I guess if you say where you live, and what you're looking for - you never know - you might get lucky with some contacts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:46 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I am located near Lismore, and am looking for large chooks as that's what we already have (as opposed to bantams). I would love to add some barred plymouth rock and r.i.r's, oh and orps and maybe wyndottes... to my flock but am happy with any good laying, friendly crossbreeds I end up with. My sister in law is looking to get some more chooks to add to their flock in the future, and I have two friends that are wanting to get started with chickens this year, and another friend who wants to add to their flock too. So I am going to be keeping some and giving some to friends once they are older.

It's just the experience of it all, and I think it will be exciting for the kids too.

i'm not addicted or anything... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:33 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

No, of course you're not addicted. Just a supplier. Apparently it helps with the cost of your own use too? Would you like some support group phone numbers? :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:48 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Bami, I looked through the Breeders Register here on BYP

http://www.backyardpoultry.com/index.ph ... reeder.php

I tracked down some breeders in my area & made lots of (local) phone calls to get some eggs.

Might be worth a try :)

You could also check out your local Yellow Pages and your local newspaper/s

HTH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:37 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

thanks so much, I have emailed a few people in the directory that live near me but have had no response just yet.

I have managed to gather up 7 eggs so far from friends and also a lady that lives near me. She is going to give me tomorrow's and Monday's eggs too (that's another 8 eggs) , so that's lovely of her. I'm swapping her my free-range but infertile eggs.

Her rooster is only just getting it's tail feathers & spurs now, and her chooks have only been laying for 3 weeks (they are all the same age) - will they still be fertile? She has seen the rooster with the hens - doing the deed - so I'm pretty sure it will all be good, just wondering.

I have one more person I can ask. I kind of wanted 30 eggs as I figure a lot of them wont hatch :( But I should be able to round up about 20 all up...

Also, one friend wrote on texta on two of the eggs 'don't touch' so her kids wouldn't eat them etc, as she was saving them for me - will this effect them? I wasn't sure if the toxins would go through the egg. I wrote on the other with pencil.

Bami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:15 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

make sure you store them pointy bit down. and tilt them twice a day. I would rest them in egg carton and put a thick book at one end and change end twice a day (morning and night). THen when you have enough, put them either under a chook or in the incubator, but dont wait too long, eggs are good to store for the first 10 days and after that their fertility is reduced. THe sooner the better.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:24 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Yeah I wouldnt write on them in texta anymore because they are pourous.....I just use lead pencil.

Cheers,
Michelle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:50 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I would give Shrimani farm a go http://www.shrimanifarm.com/

I've had great success with the eggs I've gotten from them! I've hatched BarnSummers (Barnevelder x Welsumer) about 3 weeks ago, and Barnevelders yesterday. Plus she's my Mum, so have to give her a plug :P She posted me the BarnSummers, they're very fast growing vigorous chicks, I highly recommend them :) My little sister breeds the Barnevelders, they're her little project, lovely birds too!