Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Incubated eggs. Power failure - 17hrs after setting - Pics

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:22 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

On Tuesday 20 Jan, (2:30pm) I set some eggs (48 eggs) in our incubator (Multiquip E2). About 17 hours later we had a power failure. approximately 1 hour after the failure, we put 3 hot water bottles in the incubator (these were placed at the bottom of the incubator - 300-500mm away from the eggs). The incubator was them shut up and sealed. by 10:30pm I was able to get a generator and power the unit up again. From what I recall the temperature fell to about 87.5 deg F at the angled thermometer. Once the generator was started, the temperature rose very quickly to the desired temperature. These eggs were/are due to hatch on the 11th Feb. The Multiquip has a fair ammount of foam in the lining, but I am uncertain if this would have done the job.

Should I worry about continuing the incubating? My head says.. Give them a go, Heart says Bugger!!!

We are very upset as we travelled close to 1300km return, to get the eggs...

I had other eggs incubating as well and 6 chicks have hatched 6/18.. hatch date was due 27th Jan

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Aus

Last edited by Aussie-Chook on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:35 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

All is not lost, they were very early into incubation so may not have started to devolp much, the temp at 87 is still reasonable.

For instance if a hen lays an egg in the morning on a warm day, egg is collected on the following day and set in the bator - usually the hatch rate is lower due to the heat of the day - but there is still a fair hatch rate.

I have had similar things happen and have still had good hatchings. Check the eggs after a week and candle them, then you can know accurately what is going on.

Regards

Honk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:58 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

we have had numerous posts about power outs and then stil get a hatch---don't give up yet they would have not long been up to temp so very early in the incubation----you should continue and candle them next week and see how you go, cheers pam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:20 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks guys...

I suppose I worry far too much.

The incubator appears to be working fairly well. The wet buble is showing 51% Humidity and the thermometer is 99.75-100 Deg F. So heres hoping that on the 10th of Feb, we might get a few chicks.

Thansk once again

Aus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:22 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

have you candled these eggs?

unfortunately embryos are very sensitive to such changes in the first week, and first few days of incubation, so it would be worth checking to make sure that they actually are growing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:24 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I candled the eggs today and there are a few with embyos in them. I hope they will be ok... THere are even more that are clear, I'll see how it goes.

A lot of the eggs appear to be thin shelled and it is these ones that are non-developed.

I'm thankful that where we are, the temp hasn't gone over 32deg C'.

Only time will tell

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:02 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

:bounce: **** UPDATE **** :bounce:

It has been nearly 21 days since setting the eggs, We have disposed of 18 eggs that were clear. The remaiing eggs have been transfered to the hatching tray, so we are hopefull that we may indeed still get some chicks.

I will see about posting some picks if all goes well.

Cheers

Aus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:19 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

We have pipping..

If all goes well in about 2 days or so, I'll post some photo's

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:57 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Very exciting .Glad you lisitened to your head :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:54 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Aus,

I had the same happen to me my temp got down to 33 degree celicus but I candled them on day 10 and lost a few but mine hatched out on Saturday and I got 11 chicks that I would'nt have had if I gave up...so candle them and see....good luck

sharon
Aussie-Chook wrote:
On Tuesday 20 Jan, (2:30pm) I set some eggs (48 eggs) in our incubator (Multiquip E2). About 17 hours later we had a power failure. approximately 1 hour after the failure, we put 3 hot water bottles in the incubator (these were placed at the bottom of the incubator - 300-500mm away from the eggs). The incubator was them shut up and sealed. by 10:30pm I was able to get a generator and power the unit up again. From what I recall the temperature fell to about 87.5 deg F at the angled thermometer. Once the generator was started, the temperature rose very quickly to the desired temperature. These eggs were/are due to hatch on the 11th Feb. The Multiquip has a fair ammount of foam in the lining, but I am uncertain if this would have done the job.

Should I worry about continuing the incubating? My head says.. Give them a go, Heart says Bugger!!!

We are very upset as we travelled close to 1300km return, to get the eggs...

I had other eggs incubating as well and 6 chicks have hatched 6/18.. hatch date was due 27th Jan

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Aus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well there has been a hive of activity in our incubator... We have removed some and placed them in a brooder box.. We still have more to hatch.. The temperature has been very constant 99.75' F but there are a few eggs that are still hatching. I have put this down to the hickup in the hickup in the power.. overall we are happy.. when they all fluff up and dry out.. I'll take some photo's... the only light sussex egg I had at the time of setting has also hatched. It was fresh on the day of setting.

I was originally highly sceptical of driiving long distances to pick up eggs, but now that these have hatched, my views have been altered. I think as a result of this, one must enquire as to the sellers reputation. I was fortunate to have got my eggs from a reputable seller.

Oh well as a result of this, I will need to attend "HA".. Hatchers Annonymous.. yes it it aqddictive :catch: :biggrin:

There are 14 Light sussex eggs sitting in a cool spot in our house...hmmm I wonder what will happen to them..

My biggest worry is hatching eggs now and having to keep them warm through Winter, where we are, the temperatures are well below freezing, during the coldest days in winter.

I'll post the pics, when I can..

Regards

Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:15 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Aussie-Chook wrote:
Oh well as a result of this, I will need to attend "HA".. Hatchers Annonymous.. yes it it aqddictive :catch: :biggrin:

There are 14 Light sussex eggs sitting in a cool spot in our house...hmmm I wonder what will happen to them..

My biggest worry is hatching eggs now and having to keep them warm through Winter, where we are, the temperatures are well below freezing, during the coldest days in winter.

I'll post the pics, when I can..

Regards

Stuart

congrats on the hatch stuart welcome to HA :help: ----you have plenty of time before winter----eggs set this weekend will hatch around the 7th of march so will be fully feathered and off heat by may----and hatching over winter is fine because the chicks are in the brooder box(or snuggled beneath mum) for the worst of the cold :bounce: :bolt: cheers pam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:07 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Aussie-Chook wrote:
Oh well as a result of this, I will need to attend "HA".. Hatchers Annonymous.. yes it it addictive :catch: :biggrin:

Excellent.......the next meeting is at your house :)

J

PS: Well done on the hatch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:31 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I had a power failure too for a few hours - the eggs felt so cold but 18 out of 18 hatched - eggs are tough!

What time was that HA meeting? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:48 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

The results

1 light sussex - 1 Hatched -

24 Australorp (black) - 8 hatched - one appears to have a slightly bent toe. 33% hatch rate

24 Barnevelder (DL) - 16 hatched - 66% hatch rate

In total 24 eggs were disposed of, 17 of which were clear and five failed to hatch.

Just trying to load the photos

Regards

Stuart

Last edited by Aussie-Chook on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.