Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - what eggs look like when candling

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:09 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Here are a couple of pics that i took tonight....just though i would share (there is a little oval shape that i drew on the egg so i knew if i had turned it of not):

Here is an egg with no development. Not nessesarily infertile, just not developing

Here is an egg that started to develop but then died. See the 'blood ring', a dead give away that the egg is no longer viable

Here is an egg that is developing very well. Not the best shot but you can see lots of veins and a darker fluid

hope it helps with your candling

Sigrid

Large and Bantam leghorns in blue, Black, white, splash and blue duckwing, Marans in Wheaten, Polish in wc black, Malays, Coronation and speckled Sussex. Also Secretary to the French Marans Club of Australia.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:14 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Great shots Sigrid. I'm sure they will be helpful to people.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:17 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

excellent pictures sigrid.............are you able to update them as your incubation progresses?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:22 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

thankyou for that, very helpful to us newby incubator owners.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:44 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Thanks guys. I will try to take pictures as they progress but the further along you get the less you can see. I will take anoter shot next week (two week into incubation)
Sigrid

Large and Bantam leghorns in blue, Black, white, splash and blue duckwing, Marans in Wheaten, Polish in wc black, Malays, Coronation and speckled Sussex. Also Secretary to the French Marans Club of Australia.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:49 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

excellent i have tried to do it but my photography has not worked at taking the pictures of the eggs. well done on your excellent pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:58 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

They are excellent shots Sigrid! Well done.

NellyG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

WOW! Thanks for that Sigird, it helps all us newbies heaps! :D
Cheers,
Jodie.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:13 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

i have looked all over (not literally ALL over), the internet to find candling photos of stages in development from day 6 until hatch. (consecutive daily pics). great photos, hope to see more.

danish brown leghorns..araucanas..white, partridge & self blue silkies..black sumatras..BBR cubalayas..golden phoenix..WC black polish bantams..a few Xs... and no peafowl this season :'(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:17 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

ok,
Here is an egg that is 10 days old. Typical look for this age into the incubation period. Larger embryo in the middle surrounded by veins, hence the 'spider' look.

Here is a two week old egg going well. Veins everywhere and the air sac has grown bigger. At this age you can see the embryo moving and the heart beat in the veins :shock:

I will post a picture on friday night as i have some eggs due to hatch on Saturday so that will complete the series

Sigrid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:07 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

these are awesome, sigrid. thanks :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:49 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks heaps for the pics! They're great :biggrin: Just wondering, how did you do your candling? I did it with a torch and toilet roll, but didn't seem to get the clear view that you did. Also, when I did the 11 eggs that my broody is sitting on at about 9-10 days, they just seemed dark with a really big air bubble.. I couldn't really see any veins, and only in one could I detect any movement. Would this be normal (considering this is only my first go at candling)?

Another thing, the hen started sitting in our haystack (unbeknownst to me!) and when I moved her to a proper nest, she sat tight for a day, then got off for so long that all the eggs had got to room temp (over an hour I would guess). Would that stop the eggs developing properly? When I discovered that, I encouraged her straight back on, and she has been fine ever since, only getting off once or twice for about 10-15 min each time to eat and drink. We're just getting to about 12 days now.

Be really pleased to hear what you think.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:56 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Rosanne,
I started out with a large dolphin torch and a toilet roll but didnt have much luck at all, i could barely see anything.
Then one day when i was at the service station i noticed they had these cool coloured LED torches for $9.95. My three year old had been bugging me for ages to get her a torch (weird i know :help: ) so i bought her one. Then i tried it for candling and it was so clear. These pictures don even capture half of what you can see when im doing it.
I do it only at night and the room is completely dark. i hold the egg on the end of the torch with my hand which also 'seals' the light around the egg and hey presto, you can see in it.
In regards to your eggs, what breed are they? I have had araucana eggs and barnevelder eggs that i couldnt candle due to the egg shell thickness or colour outside of that, maybe your torch isnt bright enough?
Hope this helps
Sigrid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:39 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Quote:
I started out with a large dolphin torch and a toilet roll but didnt have much luck at all, i could barely see anything

Hmm - I may have to get one of those LED torches. Are they the large ones - how many of those little LED lights did it have on the torch - I have one but it only has like 3 on it and I can't see how it would give a brighter beam than the dolphin? I'm using the dolphin torch and toilet roll method and I can't see much. Plus the bantam eggs tend to slip through the toilet roll - I had the shock of my life when one slipped through and plunked onto the torch - thankfully it didn't crack... :roll:

chookstarter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:30 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Chookstarter,
It is the small one, i think it has maybe 5 at most. LED's are alot brighter than standard globes in the dolphin so i think you would be surprised. It is about the length of a buisness card and the girth of a 20 cent piece.
The dolphins would be better for looking into the distance but for candling the LED's are the best. Ditch the toilet roll, its a pain in the bum with bantam eggs. just seal the light in with your hand with the egg resting on the top of the torch (where the light comes out) provided the room is dark enough you will see everything, especially in the early days. As the eggs get older you need to look into them from the air sack end otherwise you wont see a thing
Sigrid