Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Humidity

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Humidity
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:05 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi guys, just checking what everyone bumps the humidity up to with a E1 incubator. 83 - 85 humidity is mentioned on the wet bulb and I've been sticking to that reading through out the incubating stage and I'm now up to my last few days...how much do I increase the humidity by??

Post subject: Re: Humidity
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:33 am 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

There is no need to increase humidity at hatching. It is true that when good hatches occur, humidity is higher, but it is the chickens that raise the humidity as they hatch. It used to be thought that increasing humidity will help at hatching time, but has found to serve no purpose.

Another myth is lowering the temperature at hatching, which is only necessary in massive commercial incubators where thousands of chickens are crammed together, but definitely not in our machines.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for the info Andy...I'm glad I only have to sit back now and wait :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:17 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Andy Vardy wrote:
There is no need to increase humidity at hatching. It is true that when good hatches occur, humidity is higher, but it is the chickens that raise the humidity as they hatch. It used to be thought that increasing humidity will help at hatching time, but has found to serve no purpose.

Another myth is lowering the temperature at hatching, which is only necessary in massive commercial incubators where thousands of chickens are crammed together, but definitely not in our machines.

Does this only apply to certain size or types of incubators? Or does it apply to all of them?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:41 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Not sure your of question sorry winglet,

average humidity over the whole incubation period is whats important. Making the eggs wetter at hatching shouldn't help in any incubator, as eggs are made of calcium carbonate.

Large commercial hatcheries drop their temp at hatching, as having thousands of chickens generates extra heat in an an already hot incubator. Its negligible in our incubators though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:56 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I can not comment on other incubators than a E1 or E2 but as Andy said there is no need to change the humidity. They are built to hatch week after week with other eggs still incubating so you should just keep it the same as well as the temp all the time. If it is fertile and a healthy egg then it will hatch

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:27 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Andy Vardy wrote:
Not sure your of question sorry winglet,

average humidity over the whole incubation period is whats important. Making the eggs wetter at hatching shouldn't help in any incubator, as eggs are made of calcium carbonate.

Large commercial hatcheries drop their temp at hatching, as having thousands of chickens generates extra heat in an an already hot incubator. Its negligible in our incubators though.

You've cleverly answered my questions without being aware of what I was asking. :thumbs:

What humidity percentage for the incubation period (not wetbulb... the other type, whatever that's called) would you recommend for chook eggs? And what humidity level for Japanese quail eggs?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:27 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

"Relative humidity" is what you're thinking of :)