Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Incubator Project - draft

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:48 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Cathy you need to put eggs in this incubator and watch them all hatch. It was a great incubator a week ago and with the second fan it is even better. What you need to remember is that you can only hatch one chicken per egg. :wink:

0.1 deg difference in ends after such a short time, that's something to skite about, not worry about. The far end is always going to take longer to warm up than the near end.

If you are still lacking the confidence to test it out I suggest you put your E2 under as much scrutiny as you have this baby. :lol:

If I was you I would tape the thermostat sensor and thermometer sensor together and put them in the middle of the egg area. If you get a stable 99.5-100F then put your most important eggs in and enjoy having a great incubator.

Macca's incubator is based on ones I have posted in the past. They work well, but trust me, you will just come back and tell us you've measured a difference between the sides and the center line.

Bite the bullet Cathy, put some eggs in. By all means keep us informed about what you are not 100% happy with, but I bet your doubts don't correlate with your results. Run it as is, and tell us your hatch rate (don't count infertiles). I'll send you a dollar for every % point under 75%.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:54 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

:rofl: OK Denis. I get the message. It ran very well overnight. The range of temp in the cabinet is only about half a degree with the second fan in. Time to stop mucking around and get incubating then. Eggs going in!!

edit: OK, here have we them. I've shut down the E2 and transferred the eggs over. Not the best test - I admit. I'll also start a fresh set in there on the weekend.

There are two batches in the auto turn. The first batch was put in last Friday, so now is about day 4, the other batch is a week or two on from that - not sure?? When I see pipping I'll know (very scientific dating method!!).

Fertility is a bit down at the moment due to moulting, and a couple of the eggs are a bit grubby due to recent rain, but I had them in the E2 as they usually hatch anyway. I'll candle on the weekend and see what we've got.

Still haven't done the grill over the fan - will stick something over it at hatch time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:47 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Chicken07.
are you useing this thermomstat.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110425126633&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

when i used this one it did not work.

cheers youri.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:45 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Subscribing to this interesting thread.