Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - 2nd Setting in 42-egg Hova-Bator (auto fan & auto turn)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:15 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

This thread is for progress on my 2nd incubation of eggs in my Hova-Bator.

- Cleaned incubator briefly, as already cleaned thoroughly after last use. Inserted water tray, metal grid, additional non-slip material (as used last time to limit mess on hatching), auto-turner & thermometer/hygrometer (sitting approx. level with centre of eggs).

- Both heater/thermostat & auto-turner switched on.

- Halogen floor lamp switched on with lamp approx. 50cm above Hova-Bator (to maintain air temperature surrounding incubator, due to large fluctuations in temp. inside our house).

- Temp. stabilised at 37.5 Centigrade prior to setting. Bright red plastic lid of something (maybe an old paint spray can?) placed over thermostat dial as reminder to not adjust dial now.

- Centre tray has water filled to the brim. Outer two trays empty. This is in line with this incubator's instructions.

- Humidity in the incubator is hovering around 55%, which I'm happy to sit with, as humidity in the house generally is around 70% at present ! :shock: Last setting I had it around 45% to begin with.

- 42 eggs set at approx. 9pm Saturday 27th November 2010:
- 17x Rhode Island Red (proven rooster)
- 19x Australorp (proven rooster)
- 6x Light Sussex (first setting from young rooster)

Unlike last time, I will now leave the incubator alone for 7 days.
Then I'll candle the eggs & report on progress (not that I'm ever absolutely certain of what I see).

Winglet

Edited to add:
- The Hova-Bator is placed on a table on which I have an old electric blanket (minus the electrical parts) folded in half. My first incubation I had a towel folded in half on the table.

Last edited by Winglet on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:14 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

14 hours in......... No change :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:26 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Hope it goes well for you!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:51 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

All the best with your incubation! I just set 41 today in a Bellsouth 100 and it is only my second lot too. My temps were same when I put mine in. Your stats being so similar to mine have given me some reassurance, thank you! I have put in 30 eggs of various breeds, purchased, and the extra 11 are from x-bred layers from two different friends nearby who have roosters.

I hope you get a great hatch rate and I will be watching your thread closely for updates!

Bami

Barnevelders, Aracanas, Coronation Sussex... and soon ducks... again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:12 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Bami... with my memory like a sieve (great for people who tell me the same joke over & over again), I figured a thread to remind me what I did was the best way to recall what I did right & what I need to alter for next time. Not to mention when the expected hatch date is. :roll:

I'm interested to see how your lot go, too. Good luck ! :thumbs:

INCUBATION UPDATE (Sunday 28th Nov 2010, Day 2)
- Temp. in incubator is stable.
- Humidity dropped to about 50% this morning, and seems to have stabilised at about 48%
Forgot to add on setup that both red plugs on top (for removal if humidity needs to be reduced) are in position since the start.

Winglet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:35 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Haha very true Winglet! Well, I know once yours start hatching, mine shouldn't be too far away :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:56 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Winglet wrote:
Forgot to add on setup that both red plugs on top (for removal if humidity needs to be reduced) are in position since the start.
How does fresh air get in?.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:06 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Haan wrote:
Winglet wrote:

How does fresh air get in?.

The Hova-Bator has a number of air holes around the base sufficient for air circulation, and is made of styrofoam, so is not airtight.

Winglet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:45 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

INCUBATION UPDATE
(Saturday 4th December 2010: Day 7)

- Have not opened incubator since setting until tonight.

- Only checked temperature & humidity readings via windows in top; both have remained constant since Day 2, when the humidity had levelled out at a little above 50%.

- Candled tonight: Step-by-step procedure in the Winglet house

1. Placed loo roll on halogen light, turned dimmer switch to maximum & turned all other light sources off (lights, monitors, TV screens etc).

3. Removed lid of Hova-Bator completely & put it aside.

4a. Placed one egg at a time onto the top of the loo roll
4b. If I see an air sac with a black 'blob' in the yolk area with spidery veins coming off it I have a developing chick (YAY ! keepers!) & put them back into the auto-turner. I don't always see the blob clearly, and if I do see the blob I don't always see the spidery veins.
4c. If I see a blood ring the egg is removed from the incubator, as it means a chick was developing (so the egg was fertile) but it has stopped developing (died) and is no longer viable (won't develop/grow). I don't bother cracking them open to check them, as I don't know what I'm looking for... that's for exploring a few hatches down the track for me.
4d. If I see no air sac, and the egg looks the same as a freshly laid egg when it's candled (this is something I did before my first incubated eggs, as recommended on BYP & by some BYP members via PM... so you can see what it looks like), the egg is removed from the incubator. Again, I don't crack them open to see if they were fertile, as I'm unsure of what I'm looking for & that's for exploring down the track for me.
4e. If the egg doesn't look like any of the above, or I'm not entirely certain of what I can see, I leave it in the incubator, and reassess at next candling. I was scared to do this the first time I had an artificial incubation, thinking I might be leaving a 'problem' egg in there, but have no qualms now as all the eggs I candled tonight I am far more confident about what I'm seeing than I was in my first hatch. I had the advantage of having someone here (happened to be the breeder of my current eggs, but were eggs from someone else) to show me what to look for when I candled my first ever day 7 egg... a FANTASTIC help to have that if you can wrangle it.

5.When each separate batch of eggs (in this case, three batches; one per breed) is complete, I write the results down as I have a memory like a sieve.

6. After all eggs are candled & I'm confident of my results, and have returned them to the auto-turner, I lifted the auto-turn tray out of the incubator (with eggs in place) & had Mr Winglet carefully hold the tray whilst I removed the thermometer/hygrometer, lifted up the non-slip grip white rubbery/plasticky sheet I have over the metal grid, and topped up the central section with water. It had completely dried out, but the incubator has maintained humidity at a constant all week, so I'm rather happy about that.

7. Returned non-slip mat to it's place, gently inserted auto-turn tray & put cord back into groove, replaced thermometer/hygrometer to the same spot it's been in all week, and replaced lid of Hova-Bator. Plugs still in place.

8. Total time that lid was off would have been less than 5 minutes.

RESULTS OF CANDLING for Day 7
Still in incubator:
14 of 19 Australorp eggs definitely growing
14 of 17 Rhode Island Red eggs definitely growing
6 of 6 Light Sussex eggs definitely growing
34 of 42 eggs in total definitely growing

Removed from incubator & thrown out:
5 Australorp eggs (no air sac or signs of development, but I didn't open them to look for signs of fertility)
3 Rhode Island Red eggs (all had blood rings, meaning they were fertile)

I'm especially pleased about the Light Sussex eggs all being fertile, as they are from an unproven young rooster, and I'm chuffed to be able to inform the breeder that his first eggs to go into the incubator for his young charge are all fertile & growing nicely ! :thumbs: (PM to be sent to him as soon as I post this... will try to phone him tomorrow to let him know, too).

Winglet (I'm also chuffed with myself for being able to confidently leave the incubator to 'do it's thang' this time around)

Next report will be at Day 14 candling, unless something unexpected occurs beforehand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:59 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

INCUBATION UPDATE
Monday 6th December 2010 (Day 9)

- Due to high ambient temperatures, turned halogen light off this morning.
- Breeder of eggs received my PM & is (understandably) pleased to hear that the Sussex has proved himself. Forgot to phone him yesterday, as was busy putting up plenty of shade outside for the chooks !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:02 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Good to hear that all is progressing well, What are you going to do with all these chickies?? Perhaps a "barn raising" Amish style is called for??

Ron (Have a bout 20 in the 'bator due to hatch Dec 21.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:31 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Great to hear you have so many progressing so well Winglet!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:50 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

rotten_66 wrote:
Good to hear that all is progressing well, What are you going to do with all these chickies?? Perhaps a "barn raising" Amish style is called for??

Well... Mr Winglet FOOLISHLY commented that I'll just have to go & buy another coop. That wasn't even in relation to this lot of chicks, but because Jake is still sitting tight on the nest with nothing under her due to lack of a safe, separate spot for her to hatch anything ! :rofl: The others happily sit on top of her to lay each day & she looks after the eggs until I collect them in the afternoon from underneath her, leaving a plastic egg under her to try to encourage her to stay put. If she's still broody when this lot hatch, AND I have somewhere else for the Bantam Menace to roost, she can raise as many as I can put under her.

I now have the address of a place in Cheltenham that sells the Garden Master fowl sheds, and will be toddling off there to assess them before these chicks are due to hatch (18th Dec 2010). With our skills in putting together that sort of thing, I wouldn't mind some help in putting it up "Amish-style" if we go ahead with it !

:shock: OMG !!! After more than a year on here... I've only JUST discovered the expander bit on the field that I'm currently typing in !! :shock: With my long posts, that's a very handy thing to know about !! :wink:

Winglet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:37 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Winglet wrote:
rotten_66 wrote:

Well... Mr Winglet FOOLISHLY commented that I'll just have to go & buy another coop. That wasn't even in relation to this lot of chicks, but because Jake is still sitting tight on the nest with nothing under her due to lack of a safe, separate spot for her to hatch anything ! :rofl: The others happily sit on top of her to lay each day & she looks after the eggs until I collect them in the afternoon from underneath her, leaving a plastic egg under her to try to encourage her to stay put. If she's still broody when this lot hatch, AND I have somewhere else for the Bantam Menace to roost, she can raise as many as I can put under her.

I now have the address of a place in Cheltenham that sells the Garden Master fowl sheds, and will be toddling off there to assess them before these chicks are due to hatch (18th Dec 2010). With our skills in putting together that sort of thing, I wouldn't mind some help in putting it up "Amish-style" if we go ahead with it !

:shock: OMG !!! After more than a year on here... I've only JUST discovered the expander bit on the field that I'm currently typing in !! :shock: With my long posts, that's a very handy thing to know about !! :wink:

Winglet

Yes, You do waffle on a bit, so that will be good for you

Ummm...... once these ones in the 'bator hatch, assuming we get half again, that'll put us up around 50 birds!!! This madness must stop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:02 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

hehehe @ Mr Winglets comments.