Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - ohoh, Did my eggs get too dry? not enough humidity?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:09 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

had a hatch of araucanas due this week, i must have got a bit befuddled with the public holiday and dates went out the window... :oops: when i realised what day it was (18) and i still hadnt turned off the auto turn OR topped up the water channels for the hatch i rushed in to find one bub already out. :shock:

(yes im hopeless please forgive me... :( )

there was only a small number of eggs in there, one egg had pipped, a little hole, but the chick was dead inside and there was blood dried on the outside of the shell that had leaked out from the hole. :(

one other egg pipped, and the chicks beak was sticking out breathing, but there was a small amount of greenish goober a bit crystal like around its beak in the whole... this chick died in the shell 24 hours later... i went to get rescue it out of the shell as well and the second i picked it up life stopped. :(

the last other one that had pipped, 24 hours later was in same way, when i inspected i found that the chick was completely stuck to the shell on its back and wing, i had to break the shell off around it, lucky i did as it wouldnt have gotten out. that chick is fine and in the brooder box with hatched chick numero1.

awful result. i am feeling very bad. i realise that i should have been paying more attention. the temperature was perfect all the way through that hatch, the incubator was a bellsouth 100 with auto turn. outer water channel was full at begining but perhpas low at day 18, or empty... do these problems sound consistent with very low humidity?

thanks HBG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:15 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Well the one that was stuck to the shell could have had a humidity problem.

An 18 day hatch is a bit early. Are you sure the temperature was perfect? Could it have been a touch high in places in the Bellsouth?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:41 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

well, the thermometre was dead centre in the incubator, at top of egg level, and read a constant 103. there is still about 5 eggs left in the incubator but ive candled them tonight and they are in varying stages if final days, but i see no movement. i think they may well be dead but have left them in there for another day or so.

i am open to ideas. i wondered at the temp myself when i found the one bub out and about.... :|

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:45 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

If it was day 18 (are you sure what day you put them in??) then I would say the temp was too high. One could be an accident, but several pipping so earlysounds suspicious. Better luck next time. :(

NellyG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:48 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

came back to make an ammend... :roll: put them in on a friday morning, this one i found hatched and dry on the wednesday arvo... sooo, would have been day 19... sorry! (but still, much too early.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:07 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I'm not a big fan of the still air Yvonne.

I recently had a Bellsouth here and found that the electronic thermostat was quite good. The sensor sits at about level with the top of the eggs and it does quite a good job of holding the temperature at the top of the eggs at a constant 103 degs.

That doesn't automatically mean the temp at the centre of the eggs will be a nice 100 degs as is claimed by the makers. It just means the temperature at the center of the eggs will be somewhere between 103 and whatever the temp is at bottom of incubator. I reckon the lack of water makes quite a big difference to the temp at the bottom of the bator.

I'm not sure if I am explaining it properly but I don't like the still airs because the average temperature is actually somewhere between two other temps, only one of which you have any control over.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:54 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

i can get a fan for the Bellsouth cant i? hmm. i might look into getting one for it.
thanks for the tip D.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:41 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

You can put a fan in it - Hunney did it recently, but you can't buy them from Bellsouth for the purpose. You have to adapt a computer fan or similar. I would do it if I were you. I've had two Bellsouth Still Airs and I'm convinced there are pretty significant temperature variations within the cabinet as well. Rotating your eggs when you turn can reduce it, but a fan would be better. The lack of water could also have caused a temperature problem that you might not have noticed also.

I would also be guided by what happens in the hatch rather than your thermometer. Quite often they are not spot on accurate. If you hatch again in the same conditions, I would be tempted to set it at 102. There are other still air foamy brands that recommend 102 at the top of the eggs anyway.

In commercial hatcheries they check the egg temp by measuring the egg shell temperature. Of course, they are using fan forced incubators. What's interesting though, is that the temperature of the air does not have a constant effect on the temperature of the egg. For instance, at day 1 they expect an air temp of 100.4 to produce an egg shell temp of 100F. Then, by day three 100F in the air produces 100F in the egg shell. Then it heads in the other direction and by day 18, 98F produces as egg shell temp of 101.8F. What's going on inside the egg is a huge factor for temperature as well. Looking at how the commercial hatcheries are doing it has made me wonder if we run our incubators a tiny bit high toward the end of the incubation period. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:40 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

ok, i was thinking last night about buying a small comp. fan and installing it, but i'd have to find out which wires to plug it into, from memory i think theres a few hanging about ready to plug a fan into.

also re: temp, i did put one against m eye socket last week as suggested and it was quite hot. think i will lower the temp a bit, and i will get a fan. has Huney got a thread that goes into it a bit, will go look now...
thanks HBG