Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Homemade Incubator going - hatching!! Lots of pics!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

congrats :!: :!: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: i'm soooooo happy for you, good job mummy and daddy

danish brown leghorns..araucanas..white, partridge & self blue silkies..black sumatras..BBR cubalayas..golden phoenix..WC black polish bantams..a few Xs... and no peafowl this season :'(

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:03 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Go babies! I find that this is always the hardest part. I spent most of the last few days of hatching just watching and holding my breath... :roll: and not getting anything else done in the house...

chookstarter

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:31 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Well done on the incubator and Congratulations on the new bubs we would love photos of bubs when they are all fluffed up :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:49 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks guys!! Its going ok - we have one little black chick and a just hatched little yellow chick. There is another that is going strong at the moment too.

I will take some pics when they are fluffy and when more have come out - well hopefully more will make it.

I have a pic on my blog of the 1st little chick through the glass.

This is very exciting!!!

Rachxxx

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:53 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Sorry I can't resist :oops:

Here is my first little bubba -

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:58 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Ooo .... he looks wonderful having a little rest there. You will have an exciting day. (Love those perfect readings on the thermometer/hygrometer!)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Update - still have the 2 running around in there drying out - sooooo cute

QUESTION / REASSURANCE / ADVICE

I have another 2 that have pipped - one from last night 10.30pm (the first one to pip) and one from this morning 6.30am.

The one from this morning I can see its beak and it is moving/breathing BUT it has made no progress from this morning ie a little hole I can see its beak move - same as from 6.30am this morning.

The one from last night I can see a hole (the one on my blog for a pic), can't really see anything else and it doesn't seem to be doing anything - same from 10.30pm last night.

Do you think they will be ok? I have read that sometimes they can take 24hrs? Should they be making progress though?? :?: They are actually not due until Wednesday (or Tuesday depending on if you count a day or not). Just a little concerned...... :? All advice appreciated :thumbs:

Rach

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:03 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

That's fine. Do not panic. They are probably ok. The worst thing you could do is open the incubator so just relax and let nature take its course. They may not hatch until late tonight or even tomorrow morning. I have had chicks stay like that for 48 hours and still make it. Sometimes they pip and then have to recoup for quite a long time before the final hatch. They sit there and breathe and rest. Some hatch quickly, some hatch more slowly. At the momoment they look absolutely fine. It looks like the incubator is running perfectly, so just let it do its job. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:21 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks Chicken07 for the reassurance. I wasn't going to do anything but just thought I would ask. Fingers crossed they will make it.

Will the one that hatched at 3.00am this morning be ok to stay in there until tomorrow morning (say till 7am)? It will be a bit over 24hrs. Or do you think I should take them both out late tonight and put in brooder box? :hmmm:

Thanks
Rach

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:22 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It will be fine to leave until tomorrow. Then you'll have more to take out at once.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:40 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Cool - thanks for all your help (again :wink: ) If I knew where you lived I would send you a box of choccies for all the help you have given me over the time :biggrin:

Hurry up chookies :rofl:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:42 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I do not need choccies. We'll all take more posted pics of your new chickies when they've fluffed up instead. :bounce:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:50 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

How embarassing :oops:

For all my stressing, I just went down to the incubator to check progress and what should I find :facepalm: -

A little bubba trying to get out of the shell!!! :bounce:

It looks black and yellow (and very wet LOL)

Whoo Hoo

(I had to share the lurrrve!!)

Rachxxx

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:51 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Going great guns! :thumbs:

chookstarter

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:49 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

hey rach - that's great! and more cudos to your guy who built your obviously successful incubator!

my eggs are due to hatch tomorrow (tues). i have one little guy who hatched this morning, and 5 others have now pipped. the one that hatched pipped yesterday arvo/evening, and tho i could hear him cheeping a little this morning at 7am, he seemed to zip (pip some more around the shell) and then burst out in the space of about 45 mins, ending at 8.30 this morning. so i guess he mostly slept all night? anyway, isn't incubating little baby chicks just the coolest thing?! i'm still fairly new to it myself.

i'll post pics of my babies when i have more to show. in the meantime, keep posting yours!! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next