Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Homemade Incubator going - hatching!! Lots of pics!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:24 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

WHOO HOO

9 little fluffy babies with hopefully more to come!!! :thumbs:

Dancing chicken - it is great fun!!! :D

In a rush to get ready this morning - check my blog for more info or I will update later today :bolt:

Rachxxx

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:30 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

woohoo! go rach. hatching baby chicks IS definitely addictive. but there are worse things to be addicted to, right?

i don't have time to take photos and upload them of my 5 silkie babies yet. but i will later today. maybe there'll be more than 5 by then...

carrie

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:46 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

oh, this is so exciting! those babies are soo cute!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:57 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hey dancing chicken I can't wait to see your bubs. Hi black -I am very excited too!!

Update - no more chicks..........yet....more to come??? I hope so!!

So, out of my possible 19 (and I have no idea if I was right or not), I "think" the first one to pip has died as it is not doing anything (still :roll: ) , I have hatched 9, which leaves 9 or 10 to go. These are mostly bigger eggs. I can say that all that have hatched had a YES on them, so I have been on the money so far.

They are due either tonight or tomorrow (but I keep looking - a LOT :oops: to see if anything is happening)

Hurry up chookies as Im not getting ANYTHING done :aaargh:

Also, I think I am going possibly a bit crazy :? , but I swear I see an egg do a bit of a wobble in the incubator. I think - wow here we go - but 2, 3, 4 hrs later, still nothing :hmmm: I am looking in there a LOT though hehehe maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me :wink:

Will keep you all updated - thanks for your interest everyone :grouphug:

Rach
xxxx

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:19 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Quote:
but I keep looking - a LOT :oops: to see if anything is happening

You're hooked Rach! There's no looking back now. The bantams hatched well for me this time, not the standards for some reason.

chookstarter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:45 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Welcome to hatchaholics Rach!!
You cant fight it, you may take short breaks from hatching but you will keep going back.
Cute Bubba's by the way :biggrin:

Regards
Trev

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:50 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

chookmadhubby wrote:
Welcome to hatchaholics Rach!!

Regards
Trev

I am a member too,but there are worse addictions and they are cute babies :D cheers pam

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:32 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Wow Rachel... You've done such an awesome job.

I've started saving eggs and hopefully will join in your joy (although I am already 8) ) by hatching my own. I've got a borrowed incubator lined up. I think I should set more than 6 though, so I have to be patient!!

I've already started watching bits and pieces on ebay to start building my own, yours seems like a great unit.

Cheers for now.

Ann

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:53 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hello, my name is Rachael and I am a hatchaholic................ :rofl:

Definately worse things to be addicted to!!!

The 9 babies are SO CUTE - just lovely. I will take some close up shots later on.

QUESTION / ADVICE / REASSURANCE

The other eggies still haven't done anything :help:

By my calculations today is day 21. I set them Wed 29 April around 11am - 12noon or so.

The first one that pipped is exactly the same as it was Sunday night (when it pipped) so I am pretty sure it is DIS (what do you think? should I take it out now or just leave it for a while??).

The remainder not hatched are mostly bigger eggs (the others were bantam size except 2). Should they have done anything by now?

I'm just going to sit tight and wait and see what happens but is this normal? ie some hatching a couple of days prior to the rest?? and then the rest come out later or do you think the remaining are possibly dead? :cry: I really really want some of the bigger ones to hatch because I want big egg layers!!

All advice much appreciated.

oh nanangonewby I would def set more than six for first attempt. I had 30 in there and so far have 9. I believe I had 19 that were fertile and started developing - so you do lose some along the way. Dont forget maybe half will be roosters too (so that takes me down to 4 or 5 hens out of 30 eggs if no more hatch). Greg was worried because I had so many but I think now he is pleased I did because we at least have 9 chicks.

Rach
xxxx

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:36 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Rachel.

Eight eggs collected for incubating now. Controlling myself (very hard).

Might see if I can snitch fertile eggs off a friend.

Is it OK to hatch ducks and chicks together. Do they have different humidity requirements I wonder.

Looking forward to piccys Rachel. You must be so excited.

Cheers for now.

Ann

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:37 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi everyone

Ann
Sorry I have NO idea re ducks & chicks but ask the Q and im sure someone will know.

Well, still nothing from the remaining eggs :? I'm leaving them in there of course and not doing anything (I opened the lid a teeny bit to make sure none smelt off - all ok).

We had a scare - the brooder box light blew :x lucky Greg went down to the garage and quickly fixed it so all is ok (they were huddled together as it was a bit colder). If it had happened at night, I hate to think of what may have happened to our little bubbas :cry: Lucky all is ok now.

Still waiting for something to happen but I'm not feeling very confident at the moment but my fingers & toes are still crossed :thumbs:

Rach
xxx

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:06 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Hi Rach,
yes, it is normal for larger eggs to take a day or two longer than bantam eggs.. I find they usually start at about day 19.. then larger eggs from day 21... up to day 24... so sometimes my incubator is hatching for 4-5 days !

Great work !
looking forward to seeing some more grandchickens !

cheers
Shani

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:31 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for letting me know Shani. 7 of these little ones are yours and one has a top knot on its head (we initially thought it may be deformed, but googled it and it was normal). It looks so cute with its little crest/fuzzy top LOL.

Still nothing but fingers and toes still crossed!!

Rach

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:56 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Hi Rach
is there any movement at all with the other eggs?? is anyone pipping or can you hear cheeping from inside the eggs??

I would stilll give it some more time.. then perhaps candle them and see what went wrong ...

I'm pleased you got 9 little babies anyway ! that is great for a first attempt in a new incubator.. take into account, time of year, posted eggs and all the other variables... you have done well !!

keep us posted !

cheers
Shani

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:52 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Sadly no movement or cheeping in the eggs (I will check again actually for noise/movement).

We went through them tonight and got rid of the definate duds. Sadly the first one to pip was DIS (Greg opened it up a bit and if was decaying) as I thought. We candled (but don't know what I am looking for??) and 5 are full mass. We left another 7 in there but we think they are dead but not 100% sure. So have about 12 in there now.

Im not confident (I just have a "vibe" that they are dead) but then again, I'd virtually given up on the one that wasn't getting out of the shell for a number of hours and it was fine.

I'm very happy at our first attempt though - well done Greg!!

I have updated my blog with some pics too for those that are interested :thumbs:

Rach
xxx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next