Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Homemade Incubator going - hatching!! Lots of pics!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:10 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

these things happen... but well done to Greg for building a productive incubator !! :nail:

when you put food and water in.. you may need to flick a feew crubles infront of them then play with them with your finger to encourage them to eat.. make sure your water bowl is very shallow.. chicks have a habit of drowing in the smallest amount !

you will just love watching the little crested one grow up, they really are just too cute !

cheers
Shani

Last edited by shani on Sat May 30, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi everyone

Had a weekend away and left the remaining eggs in the incubator (just in case!!).

We got home and nothing had hatched so we have turned it off.

All up 9 little bubbas - so cute. 7 from Shani and 2 from Erin. They are all really cute and lovely, doing little chooky things too (like scratching LOL)

Greg opened some of the eggs (but didn't check if I had Yes, NO or ? on them. One was DIS and the rest hadn't developed.

Anyway, a great result I think. I got 30 eggs of which I thought 19 were fertile and developing. 1 died after pipping, the rest that pipped came out and the rest did nothing.

So, would that be a approx 50% hatch rate (9 from 19) or is it a approx 30% hatch rate (9 from 30)? How do you work it out?

Thanks
Rachael

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:02 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I always work it out like this:
#eggs developing at day 4/#eggs you start with x 100 = fertility %
(So for your eggs 19/30 x 100 = 63% = fertility %)
#eggs hatched/#eggs developing at day 4 x 100 = hatching %
(so for your eggs 9/19 x 100 = 47% = hatching %)
Cheers,
Jodie.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:00 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

rachiebaby wrote:
Hi there

After my failed attempt at incubating last month (after buying a faulty incubator off a person from Farmstock who then ignored all emails :roll: ) my partner said - I can build an incubator for you!!

So, he looked at this site and all over the internet and ta da - I present Greg's home made incubator!!

He has never made anything like this before but is fairly handy. He got a Fridge/Incubator circuit kit from Jaycar (WARNING - Don't buy one of these because they are not made to be an incubator AT ALL. The max temp was 19deg C :shock: - hmmm what can you incubate at 19deg??. Greg had to redo the circuits to make it work to a max of 40deg C :wink: )

I got a couple of foam eskys from my sister and Greg got some scrap aluminum (sp?) and plastic from his work.

It has a semi-auto turn, a water filler from the outside and a hygrometer on the inside. It has 2 40W candle lights at the top (wired separately so if one blows, the other will stay on) with foil to reflect the heat downwards. It has a computer fan in it too for air circulation.

We ran it emply for a day to see how it would go. Then I had some old eggs from when I was treating my chooks for cocci, so I put them in and it still went perfectly for a couple of days.

Then I got some fertile eggs and we are away and running :bounce: . We are on Day 3 and it is running perfectly. We can see through the window (well not really much to see yet) and we have not had to open it yet - using the auto turn and filling water via the outside spout!!

I thought you may like to have a look at his handywork (I think he is very clever) :)

Eggs set to go :bounce:

I will update when I candle (not that I am really sure what I am doing :hmmm: ) and then near hatch time.

Fingers crossed we will have BABIES in 19 days :catch:

Hope you like the incubator

Rach

G'day Rach..... Congrats on your babies and what an excellent home made bator..! I love it..!

One thing I was wondering about was your temp monitoring... In the pic above you have an everyday thermometer and a digital one.... Were you adjusting the thermostat by the digital readout or the standard one..? The reason I ask is that the sensor for the digital is quite a lot higher than the eggs and if you were adjusting with this then it may have effected your hatch rate....

Either way it's an absolute cracker and you'll find that you'll develop a few tricks to help increase your hatch rate the more you use it....

Well done..!

Nath...

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:33 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for your replies Jodie and Nath.

The little bubbas are nearly 2 weeks old now and still very cute. We have 3 frizzles in the 9 chicks too.

I will post photos when I get a chance :-)

Nath, thanks so much for the compliment re the incubator :D . We checked/monitored temp via the digital hygrometer as it is more accurate (I think Greg hooked up the thermostat to it?? or something???. The normal thermometer was just there to double check temps were ok. I might get Greg to put it down closer to where the eggs are - although with the auto turn, they are up and down all day and when they are up they are close to the sensor I think (will have to double check - can't quite remember).

Anyway, I hope to have another go in Spring time - can't wait!!

Rach

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:10 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I guess being fan forced certainly helps with uniform temp.... I still reckon it's an absolute cracker..! Got anymore eggs in it yet..?

Nath...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:28 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Nath, would love to have more eggies in it but as I live in the 'burbs, we can't have a rooster so I have to buy fertile eggs off people, rather than have my own (until I win lotto and can afford a property at Dural for about $1.5mill :rofl: ).

I thought I would wait until Spring when egg quality might be a bit better and people have more eggs to sell to me as it can get quite expensive buying fertile eggs (especially if they don't hatch LOL).

So thats the plan :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:14 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Rach.... I've got plenty of fertile eggs and would gladly give you some so you can......... Uuurrrmmmm...... Test your bator..... :D You could just give me 1 pullet in return, then nobody is parting with ca$h....

I come to sydney a bit aswell so could drop some off for you....

Nath...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:43 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ohhhh Nath, Thankyou for that offer!! Sounds great.

Next time you are in Sydney let me know and I would be happy to meet you somewhere that suits you (my parents used to live at Bermagui so I used to travel down south a bit (love the south coast) but they moved last year as it was a bit too far from Syd where we all live. If you travel up this way, more than welcome to come over to my place at Berowra.

Im in Northern Sydney (Hornsby area) but can travel to meet you anywhere, any time (In August I am going back to FT work so I could meet you on weekends then). Of course you can have the pick of the hens (and roosters :rofl: ) - whatever you want you can have!!!

Let me know what suits you - thanks again for that lovely offer :wink:

Rach
xx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:04 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Just another thought too - not sure where on the South Coast you are but if its not too far (a couple of hours from Syd or so), I'd be happy to travel down on a weekend for a drive (haven't been down for a while so it would be good to see the countryside again).

Let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:27 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

chookmadhubby wrote:
Welcome to hatchaholics Rach!!
You cant fight it, you may take short breaks from hatching but you will keep going back.

Yes, and the short breaks are often referred to as "winter" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: As long as you dont buy any fertile eggs that is...

Christine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:59 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Rach, i was getting very excited as i was reading your posts and eager to see how many eggs hatched. Well done :thumbs:
I have searched this site and many others and there is so many different opinions but, can you tell me what you had set your humidity rate at when setting the eggs and then did you increase it a few days before they were due to hatch?? I was speaking to someone i am buying some fertile eggs from and they said they set there's at 30% humidity?? And then increase to 35% closer to hatch time. I noticed your humidity was around 60% and above in your pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Denise

I put my humidity up to around 60 - 70% (well that is what the hygrometer says but I don't know how accurate it is) but everyone has different opinions re this. I block up some of my air holes (not all) and this works for me & I get it up when I stop turning the eggs (Day 18). My hatch rate was not brilliant last time but I think that is from the incubator running too hot.

20 days ago I set some eggs that I had extra that some lovely BYP people had given me. We turned the temp down to what I believe is the right temp and when I candled eggs, one was not fertilised, one developed a bit & died and one other I'm a bit sus on but have left it in there. just in case as I am NO expert at all. The rest I was fairly confident with that they have developed until Day 18.

Well, I had one pip this morning and at 12noon today it hatched (see my blog for a pic - so cute).

SADLY, we have just found it dead in the water container :upset: :( I have been in tears for the last 15 mins over this :cry: I even tried to revive it but it had been in there too long sadly.

We put a rigid fitted (cardboard) floor in it for hatching and we didn't realise that it would be able to get into the water container. It is fixed now with mesh over the water holder so will NEVER happen again.

No more have piped yet, so my fingers & toes are crossed that they do. They are actually due tomorrow and the one that hatched was a bantam Araucana chick. There were 2 of these eggs in the bator, so I really hope the other hatches. The other 4 are cross breed surprises :wink: but I'm pretty sure one of those has stopped developing. So am hoping for 4 now (was 5 :( )

On a happier note, one of the bantam Araucanas has hatched under one of my broodies. I hope for more tomorrow. :chicks:

I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers
Rach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:00 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Rach,
I am so sorry to hear about the chick....i have tears now too ! I know hatching chicks is not going to come without dissappointments but, i have to give it a go. Thanks for your advice. We have searched and read as much as we can about temp and humidity. All we can do is try. Unfortunately we have purchased 2 dozen eggs that arrive in a couple of days...we really should have tried with some of our own first. Never mind, its only money. Good luck with the rest of the googies :wink: