Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Best floor materials for brooder box?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:36 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Just wondering what others use. I use paper towel for first few days until they get the hang of eating out of their feeder and then have switched to either sawdust, woodshavings or organic sugar cane mulch in the past. I find that all these materials get scratched into the feed and water containers even if I raise than above the level of the litter. Lots of wasted feed.

Elli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:08 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Sand would probably be good.

I've only commandeered one broody box in my life and used wood shavings - had the same problem as you. If I had chicks in a brooder again I'd use non-slip matting for the first few days and then change to sand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:17 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Its what I use as well - the chickens are not noted for their economy of feed but its never really wasted as they do learn to forage through the litter and at the end of the day everything goes towards good mulch, compost and humus.

A part of the cost of the hobby.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:34 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi,
I've been using washed river sand in the brooder boxes this year and find it really good. It warms nicely under the lamp and the chicks are lovely and cosy and warm. :chicks: The brooder has a 10cm gap for the chicks to run into the "play and feed area" when they want to and the feed and water is in that area so it doesn't get heated by the lamp. The floor is covered with the sand too. I put in a bit of wheaten chaff and they love to scratch around in it and when I refresh the sand they have the best time having a "dust bath" in the new sand. Sand flys everywhere and its the best fun watching them!! Some sand still ends up in the water but what the heck, its no problem as I change the water everyday anyway. I can't begin to add the hours and hours I have spent this year watching the little babies when I should have been doing the housework!! :chicks:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:04 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I am lucky enough to have 2 brooders. The first is the brooder they go into when they first come out of the incubator. I cover the base with a double layer of towel (washes up easily) and then put some coarse, cheap paper towel over the top of the fabric towel. I change this twice a day for the first week.

After they have their footing and can run around, I move them into the second brooder. This is a "double sided" brooder made out of a kitchen cupboard (lying on its back), with a small raised separator about 1.5" high in the middle. On one side I put non-slip matting with their water supply in a small ball waterer and feed in a self-feed bin. On the other side they have wood shavings about an inch deep. This is changed every second day (or every day depending on the number of chicks in the brooder). As soon as they start to have running races in the brooder and get wood shavings everywhere, they go outside into a moveable tractor which has a heat lamp for cool nights and days.